Calling all angel food cake lovers! Strawberry Lemon-Lava Angel Cakes make the perfect mini desserts for Spring and Summer gatherings when you just gotta have some sort of sweet treat to end the meal. This recipe makes 8 dreamy desserts.
#angelfood #lemon #strawberry #dessert
Strawberry Lemon-Lava Angel Cakes – A Special Dessert When You Need Something Luscious to End the Meal
Please Note: We do use referral links for products and services that Chef Alli loves.
Angel food cake is naturally low in fat and calories, and in my opinion, the store-purchased version also kind of tastes that way, pretty dry, boring, and lifeless.
Until recently (who knows why), I hadn’t ever made angel food cake…not even from a box mix. Boy was I surprised- angel food cake is quite delicious!
But to be over-the-top enjoyable, it needs gussied up a bit, don’t you think? Such as the addition of some fresh berries, whipped cream, or possibly with a nice slathering of milk chocolate frosting. Yes!
I remember eating a lot of angel food cake as I was growing up. My Grandma Elsie made a homemade angel food cake that was drizzled in a super-fresh orange icing….simply to-die-for! It was tall….and sticky….and sweet…and heavenly, and there was always lots of finger licking after you ate a slice. 🙂
I think this recipe is fun because it always makes our guests feel special when you serve an individually-made dessert. Yep, it’s a bit more work, but in the end, I found it to be so delicious, it was worth it – I hope you’ll feel the same when you make this for your guests.
How to Make Strawberry Lemon-Lava Angel Cakes – The Simple Steps to Success
- First, you’ll need to purchase some mini angel food cake pans. You’ll be able to use these for any cake mix, any time you want to make individual desserts.
- Mix up the angel food cake mix as per the package directions. You’ll only need to add water.
- Fill each mini angel food cake pan two-thirds full with the prepared cake batter. There will be enough cake batter to make 8 mini angel food cakes. (You’ll want to wash the pans after you make the first 4 cakes, before proceeding with the remaining 4.)
- Bake the cakes, uncovered, on the center rack of your oven. They will raise nice and tall!
- After the baked angel cakes have rested for 15 minutes on the cooling rack in the pan, use a butter knife to loosen the edges, then lift each cake out of the pan and onto the cooling rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with the remaining cake batter so you have 8 mini angel food cakes total.
- Now, go ahead and prepare the lemon lava and place it into the fridge to chill until you are ready to assemble the desserts.
- When you’re ready to prepare the desserts for your peeps, place a cake onto each serving plate, cutting small wedge from the side of each cake. Spoon some of the prepared lemon lava into the cavity of each cake, allowing the pudding to flow down into the cake and onto the plate.
- Garnish the plate and the lemon lava with some diced strawberries to make it look really pretty. Serve!!
Easy Recipe Tips for Strawberry Lemon-Lava Angel Cakes:
- What if I don’t want to purchase mini angel food cake pans? No problem. I’ve used a muffin tin before and it works quite well. And, now that I think of it, you can actually use just about any pan that you want to….. a loaf pan, a 9 x 13 pan, or a regular-sized angel food cake tube pan. Then, when you get ready to serve the desserts, you’ll just have to slice a piece of angel food cake to serve as the base for your dessert. Same great flavor, just served up in a little different way.
- Your recipe calls for sugar-free lemon pudding. Are you sure that REALLY tastes good in this recipe? All I can tell you is that I ONLY use the sugar-free pudding in this recipe….it’s THAT good. My family never even bats an eye!
Printable Strawberry Lemon-Lava Angel Cakes Recipe
Strawberry Lemon-Lava Angel Cakes
- 1 angel food cake mix, batter prepared according to package directions
- 1 oz. package sugar-free lemon instant pudding, or use a 3 oz. package of regular lemon instant pudding
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup whipped topping
- 1/2 lb. fresh strawberries, hulled and diced
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Using a mini angel food cake pan, gently spoon half of the prepared angel food cake batter into each of the 4 molds within the pan, filling each one about 2/3 full.
Bake the cakes, uncovered, on the center rack for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and puffy. Remove the pan to a cooling rack and let the cakes rest for 15 minutes, then use a butter knife to loosen them around the edges before gently lifting each one out of the pan to the cooling rack. Wash and dry the pan, then repeat with the remaining batter to make 4 more angel food cakes. Let the cakes cool completely, then store in an air-tight container until you are ready to serve the dessert.
Meanwhile, preparing the filling by combining the pudding mix with the milk in a medium mixing bowl. In a few minutes when the pudding begins to set up, fold in the whipping topping; chill.
To assemble the desserts, place each cake onto a serving plate, slicing into each cake to remove a small wedge, approx 1/8 of the cake. Spoon the prepared pudding mixture into the cavity of each cake, allowing the “lemon lava” to flow down into the cake’s cavity and onto the plate; garnish with diced strawberries, sprinkling some of the diced strawberries on the plate at the base of the dessert. Serve at once.
Desserts can be prepared ahead for up to 4 hours.
Makes 8 individual desserts
Need a bit more YUM in your life? Here you go!:
Sunny Lemon Loaf Cake – Because we all need more LEMON desserts, right?
Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cakes – A “Just for Two” recipe for all chocolate lava lovers
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. And, if you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: ChefAlli@ChefAlli.com