Our all-time favorite coffee cake. The boys prefer this Honey Bun Cake without the pecans, but I love the texture of the nuts as part of the filling. Either way, it’s a wonderful, moist and luscious cake that your family will constantly beg you to make. #HoneyBun #CoffeeCake #TriedandTrue
The Best Coffee Cake in the History of Ever: Honey Bun Cake
Please Note: We do use referral links for products and services that Chef Alli loves.
What’s so GREAT About Honey Bun Cake??
Honey Bun Cake is lusciously moist cake, swirled with cinnamon, sugar, and pecans then smothered with a powdered-sugar glaze…..it tastes like a honey bun, but in the form of cake.
Honey Bun Cake transforms a yellow cake into a magnificent experience. A few basic ingredients and a brown sugar pecan-spice center makes this cake anything but ordinary. When I make this coffee cake for my family on Saturday or Sunday morning, I’m lucky if it lasts past noon!
What’s the Secret to Delicious Honey Bun Cake? Just ONE little thing!
Making sure to cover your cake with foil right after you smother it in icing, then letting it cool with the foil in place will ensure your cake is UBER moist. The foil forces all the heat and condensation down into your cake – a trick my Grandma Lucille taught me.
The Easy Steps to Making Honey Bun Coffee Cake:
- There are three basic components of this recipe to prepare – the batter, the filling, and the icing.
- Prepare your batter and pour half of it into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Top the batter with all of your prepared filling. I really like the filling with pecans, but if your family doesn’t like nuts (or they THINK they don’t, like mine does) you can leave those out, no worries.
- Use your artistic talents and a butter knife to swirl the filling around into the batter.
- Pour the remaining half of the batter over the filling. Pop your cake into the preheated oven and bake.
- As soon as your cake is done, pour the prepared icing over the top to smother it, then immediately cover your honey bun cake with foil, letting it cool covered in the foil.
Tips for Making The Best Honey Bun Coffee Cake:
- Do I have to use a glass baking dish to make Honey Bun Cake? Nope! You can use whatever 9 x 13 baking pan you have on hand. Just grease it well with nonstick spray or a little bit of oil.
- Can I use a white cake mix if I don’t have a yellow cake mix on hand? You sure can. I’ve had to do this lots of times and it works just fine. Your cake will just be lighter in color and the flavor will be a bit different…..but still super yummy!
- Can I serve this coffee cake warm from the oven? Just plan on this part, especially if you bake this cake when your family is home. They will smell it baking and you’ll be FORCED to serve it to them as soon as it’s done. Just know it will be a bit crumbly when you serve it.
- Tell me again….why should I cover this cake with foil while it’s still hot? This step is important for any cake you bake. Always cover the cake with foil right after you remove it from the oven so all the heat and condensation is forced down into your cake, making it very, very moist….guaranteed. I also do this step with quick breads like Lemon Poppy Seed Bread and Banana Bread.
Printable Honey Bun Cake Recipe
Honey Bun Cake
Our all-time favorite coffee cake. The boys prefer it without the pecans, but I love the texture of the nuts as part of the filling. Either way, it's a wonderful, moist and luscious cake.
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 Tbs. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Pinch of salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (325 degrees F if using a glass baking pan)
Combine cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat ingredients for 2 minutes, scraping bowl half way through. Meanwhile, combine the filling ingredients and reserve.
Pour half of the prepared cake batter into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle the prepared filling mixture over the batter, then use a butter knife to swirl the filling into the batter. Pour the remaining cake batter over the top of the filling.
Bake the cake, uncovered, on the center rack of the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a cake tester or knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
While the cake is baking, combine the icing ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth; pour the prepared icing over the hot cake immediately after it comes out of the oven. While the cake is still hot, cover with foil and let cool completely.
Need some more YUMMI-NESS in your life? Here you go!:
- Granny-Grandma’s Old Fashioned Cookies – Maybe the Most Unique Sugar Cookie You’ll Ever Eat
- English Muffin Bread – The No Knead Toasting Bread
- Cinnamon-Sugar Donuts – Baked Donuts Your Family Will Fall in Love With
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. And, if you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: ChefAlli@ChefAlli.com