This Chicken Tortilla Soup is a hearty soup that is fast and delicious made with refried beans, taco seasonings, corn, black beans, and your favorite soup toppings.
Chicken Tortilla Soup with Refried Beans Recipe
Here’s an easy weeknight meal when your family needs something fast and delicious for dinner.
I LOVE soup, and it’s great keeping a big pot of soup in my fridge (almost year-round!) so I can just grab a quick bowlful when I need to recharge.
The best part is you only need a few ingredients.
Add everything to the pot, stir, heat, and it’s ready!
This soup is also good using cooked pulled pork or shredded roast beef instead of the rotisserie chicken.
Don’t love refried beans?
You can use any fully cooked beans in this soup in place of black beans, such as pinto beans, chili beans, or even white beans.
- Rotisserie chicken, or cooked chicken of any kind
- Refried beans
- Taco seasoning
- Diced tomatoes and green chilies
- Sweet corn
- Black beans
- Chicken broth
- Your favorite garnishments such as chopped cilantro, shredded cheese, sour cream, etc, optional
How to make CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
Pull the chicken meat away from the bones of the rotisserie chicken.
Shred the meat with your fingers or chop it into bite-size pieces with a knife.
Place all the soup ingredients into the pot over medium-high heat.
Stir to combine.
Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Ladle the warm soup into bowls and garnish as desired to serve.
If the soup is too thick, add a little more chicken broth to make it the desired consistency.
Can I freeze Chicken Tortilla Soup?
Yes! It freezes well and reheats perfectly.
Just thaw and reheat over low heat until hot throughout, then garnish and serve as desired.
I prefer to freeze my soup in 2-cup portions to thaw it more quickly.
Can I use other types of cooked meats instead of the chicken?
You sure can, and I’ve done it often.
I like to use leftover cooked pulled pork in this soup and I’ve also used cooked and shredded roast beef in place of the chicken in this soup – it’s delicious too.
MORE FAVORITE SOUP RECIPES TO ENJOY
I use my Instant Pot almost daily, so there are lots of Instant Pot soup recipes here on my blog. I hope you’ll try two of my favorites: Tex Mexican Soup, Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup and Instant Pot Baked Potato Soup, and Creamy Fiesta Chicken Soup.
And if you’re looking for another chicken soup recipe, I bet your family will really enjoy Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings – it’s kind of a soup, and kinda not!
- INSTANT POT BROCCOLI CHEESE NOODLE SOUP
- CREAMY TACO SOUP
- INSTANT POT CREAMY TOMATO DILL SOUP
- 3-MINUTE HAM AND CABBAGE SOUP
- TEX MEX CORN CHOWDER
- Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 2 – 16 oz. cans refried beans
- 1 oz. pkg. of your favorite taco seasoning
- 2 – 14 oz. cans petite diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 cup sweet corn frozen or canned
- 1 – 15 oz. can black beans rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Chopped cilantro sour cream, and shredded cheese, for garnish
- Remove the skin from rotisserie chicken; discard. Gently pull the chicken meat from bones, then shred the chicken.
- In a large pot or Dutch Oven over medium high heat, combine all ingredients.
- Bring the soup to a high simmer, then reduce the heat to medium, simmering the soup for 15-20 minutes, stirring often.
- If the soup is too thick in consistency, add a bit more broth, as desired.
- Serve soup garnished with fresh cilantro, sour cream and shredded cheese.