Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Noodle Soup: Quick, Easy, and Satisfying
Who’s up for a big bowl of easy Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Noodle Soup on a cold day?? I know I am! My family always loves it when they get to come home a big pot of this comforting soup.
This recipe came from my friend, Pauletta Hug, Mayetta, KS.
Please Note: We do use referral links for products and services that Chef Alli loves!
Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Noodle Soup is an absolute favorite at our house, and it can be ready in 5 minutes….plus just a little bit of prep time. I love making soups in my Instant Pot! We make this cheesy soup at least once a month during the winter months when it’s freezing cold here in the Heartland.
Broccoli Cheese Noodle Soup is super simple to make and sometimes I even shred up the meat from a rotisserie chicken and stir it in. I think a rotisserie chicken is one of the best things in the world to keep on hand at all times to make quick meals, don’t you?? I love to snag them when they are on sale, then shred the meat and keep it in my freezer for speedy meals.
Because all frozen vegetables are par-boiled before they are frozen, this makes them cook extremely quickly, which is really awesome, just as in this soup. If you happen to need to substitute fresh broccoli florets for the frozen, you will need to cook them for a few minutes in the microwave before adding them to the soup.
How to Make Broccoli Cheese Noodle Soup in 5 Easy Steps.
- Make the roux by combining the butter, dehydrated onions, and flour in the Instant Pot, using saute setting. This is what will thicken your soup.
- Turn off the Instant Pot, then slowly whisk in the chicken broth, adding it a little at a time. Bring the broth to a boil, then stir the egg noodles into the broth.
- Bring the Instant Pot to full pressure for, cooking the soup for 5 minutes. Perform a quick release to remove all the pressure.
- Remove the lid and give the contents a stir. Add the cheese, milk, and cream, stirring to combine and until the cheese is melted.
- Lastly, add the frozen broccoli, cooking the soup for a few more minutes until all ingredients are hot throughout.
Easy Recipe Tips for Velveeta Broccoli Cheese Soup
What’s the best way to store soup in the fridge?
- I like to keep soup in a pitcher with a lid on it. This way, it’s super easy and quick to pour it into a bowl and reheat for a meal or snack.
Can I use fresh broccoli instead of frozen broccoli in this soup?
Yes, but you’ll want to cook it first, otherwise you’ll have some creamy soup with crunchy broccoli – not a pleasant experience. Frozen broccoli has been par-boiled before being packaged, so that’s what makes it cook so quickly. When you add it to a dish, like you do here in this soup recipe, you’re basically just heating it up to serve it.
Can I make homemade egg noodles instead of using the frozen egg noodles this recipe calls for?
Sure thing – When I have the time, I love to make homemade eggs noodles for this soup. Here’s my favorite recipe to make Small Batch Egg Noodles.
If I don’t have frozen egg noodles on hand or don’t want to make my own, can I use dry egg noodles from the pasta aisle that come in a bag?
You can definitely use that type of noodles in this recipe, just remember you won’t need to cook them as long. I’d reduce the time in the Instant Pot (under pressure) to 1 minute.
Remember that if you cook the soup and the noodles aren’t quite done, you can always give it another minute or two of more cooking, but if you OVER-COOK the noodles, you’re sunk!
Can I make this soup on the stove if I don’t have an Instant Pot?
Yep, and here’s how to do it: In a large pot or Dutch oven, over medium heat, melt the butter and add the dried onion flakes and flour, whisking for 1-2 minutes until the flour has turned from white in color to a nice tan.
Next, add the chicken broth and bring to a boil; stir in the noodles and cook as the package directions state, approx. 15-20 minutes, or until nicely tender. Reduce the heat to low, then stir in the milk, cream, and cheese, stirring until the cheese has melted and the soup is nicely thickened.
Lastly, stir in the frozen broccoli florets, cooking the soup just until the broccoli is heated throughout. Ladle the soup into deep serving bowls, top with croutons, and serve at once with a good crusty bread.
If I want to make this a complete meal, can I add cooked meat to this soup?
What a great idea – this soup would be delicious with cooked, shredded chicken, leftover grilled steak, or even sliced and browned chunks of Kielbasa sausage. Any cooked meat cut into small pieces will work fine.
What Tools Are Helpful When Making This Broccoli Cheese Noodle Soup?
6-Quart Instant Pot – this is an awesome power tool that helps us get healthy (whole food) dinners on the table in a hurry.
Flat silicone whisk – This tool is a must-have for making ultra-smooth gravies and white sauces. Much unlike a balloon whisk (used for mixing in bowls) a flat whisk allows you to get right up to the very edge of your skillet and is great for smoothing out any lumps that might happen to find themselves into your gravy!
7-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker – This slow cooker (aka Crock Pot) is can be programmed for 30 minutes – 20 hours and automatically switches to warm once the cook time is completed.
Other Soup Recipes Your Family May Enjoy –
- INSTANT POT SAUSAGE BACON AND POTATO SOUP
- INSTANT POT HEARTY RAVIOLI SOUP
- TEX MEX CORN CHOWDER
- SMOKEY CHICKEN AND BLACK BEAN CHILI
- INSTANT POT CHICKEN AND WILD RICE SOUP
Printable Directions for Making Broccoli Cheese Noodle Soup
Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Noodle Soup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 Tbs. dehydrated onion flakes
- 3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb. frozen egg noodles, such as Reames Egg Noodles
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup whipping cream or half and half (I sometimes use fat free half and half – it works just fine)
- 8 oz. Velveeta, processed cheese, cubed (may substitute shredded cheddar, but soup won't be as creamy)
- 1 lb. bag frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- croutons and shredded cheese, for garnishing, as desired
Instant Pot Directions
- Using the sauté setting on the Instant Pot, melt the butter; add the onion and flour, whisking constantly, for a minute or so, until mixture is nicely golden brown in color.
- Turn off the instant pot, THEN add the chicken broth, a little at a time until all the broth is incorporated and the broth mixture is smooth. Using the saute setting on the Instant Pot once more, bring the broth to a boil, stirring in the noodles.
- Securely lock the Instant Pot lid into place. Using the high pressure setting, choose 5 minutes time, bringing the Instant Pot to full pressure. When the timer sounds, immediately perform a quick release to remove all pressure from the Instant Pot.
- Unlock and remove the Instant Pot lid; add the milk, cream, and cheese to the pot, stirring until all the cheese is nicely melted and the soup is creamy and smooth. Lastly, stir in the frozen (thawed) broccoli, letting it cook throughout for a few minutes. (The contents of the soup will still be very hot.) Ladle the soup into deep serving bowls, top with croutons, and serve at once with a good crusty bread.
Stove Top Directions
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, over medium heat, melt the butter and add the dried onion flakes and flour, whisking for 1-2 minutes until the flour has turned from white in color to a nice tan.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the heat, THEN add the chicken broth, a little at a time until all the broth is incorporated and the broth mixture is smooth. Return the pot back to the heat, bringing the broth mixture to a boil. Stir in the noodles and cook according to package directions (20-25 minutes) or until the noodles are nicely tender. Reduce the heat to low, stirring in the milk, cream, and cheese, stirring until the cheese has melted and the soup is nicely thickened, approx. 5.
- Lastly, stir in the frozen broccoli florets, cooking the soup just until the broccoli is heated throughout, 3-4 minutes. Ladle the soup into deep serving bowls, top with croutons, and serve at once with a good crusty bread.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. And, if you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: ChefAlli@ChefAlli.com