Instant Pot Orzo Chicken Soup
Soup that’s made for slurping….it’s THAT good. This Instant Pot Lemon Orzo Chicken Soup cooks in your Instant Pot is JUST 4 MINUTES! It’s fast, easy, and comforting,
Please note: We do use referral links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends.
Howdy! Chef Alli Here. Let’s Get You Cookin’…..Shall We??? 🙂
This soup is unbelievably delicious. I love that it is dairy free, loaded with vegetables, and super filling.
My magic kitchen machine for making this soup is the Instant Pot. This hard-working electric pressure cooker makes short work of both the chicken for this orzo chicken soup and the soup itself.
Helpful Tips for Cooking with Orzo and Lemon
What if this Orzo Chicken Soup is a little too “lemon-y” for me?
If that’s the case, I’d eliminate the lemon zest, rather than the lemon juice. Lemon zest packs a stronger punch than simply the juice, which is why I love it so much! Read on to learn more about the benefits of “Zesting!”
What’s the best way to zest a lemon?
Run…don’t walk, and get yo-self a Microplane zester! This tool makes zesting fun and easy, so you won’t be tempted to skip the zest in any recipe.
What’s so great about citrus zest, anyway?
Citrus zest is is a powerful ingredient that’s also sugar, fat, and calorie free. Just a small amount of citrus zest added to any recipe will brighten and heighten the ingredient combination.
What is orzo pasta?
Orzo pasta is a flat, rice-shaped pasta that cooks quickly and is delicious in soup, salads, or served just as a pasta side dish. Orzo loves to soak up moisture, so as this soup sets, you may have to add more broth.
Other Favorite Recipes to Enjoy –
- Instant Pot Chicken and Mushroom Wild Rice Soup
- Low-Carb Tex Mexican Soup
- Saucy Asian Chicken and Broccoli Sheet Pan Dinner
- Instant Pot Ravioli Soup
- Buttered Rosemary Rolls
- Pasta Fagioli
- Maple Pecan Glazed Ham
- Tex Mex Corn Chowder
- Instant Pot 8-Minute Minestrone
Printable Directions for Making Orzo Chicken Soup with Lemon and Vegetables
Orzo Chicken Soup with Lemon and Vegetables
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1-2 tsp. dried dill
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 cup dry orzo pasta
- 2-3 ribs celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed crushed
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cooked and chopped (2-3 cups of cooked, chopped chicken of any type works great)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1-2 cups chopped or torn fresh baby spinach or baby kale
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Using the sauté setting on your Instant Pot (or any electric pressure cooker), add the oil to the pot. When the oil is hot, add the spices, orzo, celery, carrots, onion, mushrooms, and garlic; sauté for one minute, then add the chicken broth to the pot and bring to a full boil.
- Once the soup is boiling, lock the Instant Pot lid into place, then use the manual button to choose High Pressure for 4 minutes, bringing the Instant Pot to full pressure. When the timer sounds, perform a quick release to remove all pressure. Turn off the Instant Pot and remove the inner pot to rest on a cooling rack. Let the soup cool down for 30 minutes, stirring it often to speed up the cooling.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, lemon juice, and lemon zest together in a bowl. Once the soup has cooled down, stir in the egg/lemon mixture, along with the cooked chicken and fresh spinach. (If the soup is too hot when you add the egg/lemon mixture, it will cook your eggs and you’ll have a scrambled egg soup....ewwww.)
- Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper, then return the inner pot to the IP, using the sauté setting once again to heat the soup to the desired serving temperature. Serve at once with good, crusty bread.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. And, if you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: [email protected]
Let’s Get You Cookin’,