This easy Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup recipe is made with rotisserie chicken and can be made from ingredients you’ll likely already have right in your pantry.
Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
In this house, we love all things Mexican and all things Tex Mex.
And a soup recipe that warms you to the core with super fast dump-and-go ingredients, always fits the bill!
No chicken on hand? No problem.
This creamy and cheesy base still tastes good, sans chicken!
This recipe came from my friend, Tammy Bussen. It’s a keeper!
Ingredients for Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Canned soups – cream of chicken and nacho cheese
- Red enchilada sauce – may substitute green enchilada sauce if preferred
- Diced tomatoes and green chilies – may puree these if you desire a soup that is smoother in texture
- Shredded, cooked rotisserie chicken meat or any shredded cooked chicken
- Your favorite Mexican/Tex Mex toppings such as shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, tortilla chips, cilantro, etc
How to Make Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup
Whisk together the milk, soups, enchilada sauce, and diced tomatoes with green chilies in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Fold in the shredded chicken.
Simmer the soup until it is nicely heated throughout, then serve at once.
Can I substitute processed cheese (such as Velveeta cheese) for the nacho cheese soup?
Processed cheese (such as Velveeta cheese) can be substituted for the nacho cheese soup, and I’ve done this.
However, for whatever reason, the soup isn’t nearly as creamy, and you’ll likely need to add some more milk for the soup to be the consistency you want.
Is there an easy way to make this soup more spicy?
To make this soup more spicy, add a pinch of red pepper flakes or a bit of chipotle sauce for a smoky kick.
You could also add a small sprinkle of cayenne pepper or a dash of Tobasco.
Is this soup still good without the chicken?
This soup is delicious, with or without the chicken!
If I don’t have a rotisserie chicken available, can I cook my own chicken for this recipe?
If you don’t have a rotisserie chicken on hand for making this soup, cook 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts until they are fork-tender.
Cool and shred, then add to the soup.
Other Creamy Soup Recipes to Enjoy
When I’m not making this chicken enchilada soup for my guys, I often whip up a batch of Tex Mex Corn Chowder (made with sausage!) since they love it.
Or this quick and easy Instant Pot Tex Mexican Soup is also a favorite.
Here are other recipes they love.
- Creamy Fiesta Chicken Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken and Black Bean Fideo Soup
- Smoky Chicken and Black Bean Chili
- Easy Rotisserie Chicken Soup with White Beans and Cilantro
- Mom’s Easy Instant Pot Chili
- Tex Mex Corn Chowder
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 2 cups milk
- 1 10 3/4 oz. cans cream of chicken soup I prefer Campbell's Soup
- 1 10 3/4 oz. cans nacho cheese soup I prefer Campbell's Soup
- 1 10 oz. cans red enchilada sauce
- 1 10 oz. cans diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 cups shredded, cooked rotisserie chicken meat
- your favorite toppings such as cilantro, sour cream, salsa, tortilla chips, etc., optional
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, whisk the milk with the soups until smooth.
- stir in the enchilada sauce, tomatoes and green chilies, and the shredded rotisserie chicken.
- simmer the soup for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.