Big Bold Beef Carnitas – a dish that my family really loves as a weeknight meal. Because we live on a farm, it’s hard to know exactly when we will get to eat supper sometimes, so if I’ve got cooked meat all ready to go, I can get these Beef Carnitas on the table pronto! #EatBeef #InstantPot #Beef #PorkButt #WeekNightMeals #SkilletMeals
Please Note: We do use referral links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves!
My guys are meat and potatoes guys, no doubt about it. That’s why it’s important to me to make sure that each weekend I either cook up a beef roast or a pork butt so I can have that meat on hand throughout the upcoming week. If you’ve got cooked meat ready to go, you can make meals so quickly – such as carnitas, wraps, soups, grilled sandwiches, salads, pastas.
And, because I’m always in a hurry, these days I usually cook my meats in my Instant Pot – it’s so speedy and darn convenient. And, I really appreciate how I can use my Instant Pot in the summer and it doesn’t heat up my kitchen, like using the oven does.
If you enjoy this recipe, be sure to try my Asian Beef Bowls, another speedy skillet meal featuring beef – we love all the Asian flavors.
Easy Recipe Tips for Making Big Bold Beef Carnitas
1. When you get ready to brown the cubed chuck roast, make sure it isn’t ice-cold from fridge. Letting your meat set out for 20-30 minutes before you brown it helps remove the chill and also lets all the juices and fats that coagulate at the center of the meat spread through the protein fibers to give you more even cooking and browning.
2. As you see in Step #3 of this recipe (below), it calls for a hot cast iron skillet. This step crisps up the cooked meat and makes it so delicious!
3. If I have time, I love to make this Veggie Coleslaw for topping my Big Bold Beef Carnitas. The creamy dressing, crunchy veggies and savory meat combination is yummy. I hope you’ll give it a try.
Printable Big Bold Beef Carnitas Recipe
Big Bold Beef Carnitas
- 3 lbs. chuck roast, cut into 3-inch chunks, trimmed if needed
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. oregano flakes
- 1 tsp. chipotle sauce or minced chipotles in adobo
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lime juice (can use the lime zest too, if you'd like)
Set electric pressure cooker (EPC) to sauté setting; add oil, salt, cumin, paprika, chile powder, oregano, and chipotle sauce; when mixture is nicely hot, add cubed beef. Brown beef in batches, removing to a plate as you work.
Return all beef to EPC pot; add onion, garlic, cinnamon stick, orange zest, and juices; cover pressure cooker, lock EPC lid into place. Choose High Pressure setting for 45-50 minutes. When timer sounds, use a full natural release to allow protein fibers to fully relax.
Remove EPC lid and transfer beef to a large cutting board; shred beef apart. Add shredded beef to a preheated, oiled cast iron skillet set over high heat.
Sear beef over high heat just until it gets a good “crisp” on the outside, watching carefully so beef doesn’t burn, adding cooking liquid from pressure cooker, a little at a time, as needed.
Serve beef with warm corn or flour tortillas, salsa fresca, sour cream, cilantro, and shredded cheese, as desired.
Let's Get Cookin',
Please feel free to leave us a comment – we love hearing from our readers and followers! If you don’t hear back from us here, just know we may have somehow missed your comment or question. Do reach out to us by email: ChefAlli@ChefAlli.com and we will get right back to you.