Instant Pot Chicken and Black Bean Fideo Soup Recipe
Please Note: We do use referral and affiliate links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends.
Howdy! Chef Alli Here. Let’s Get You Cookin’….Shall We? 🙂
This Instant Pot chicken soup is an easy recipe that I make often. It is not spicy, but if that’s your gig, feel free to add some red pepper flakes or a bit of chipotle sauce to this Mexican soup.
Instant Pot Chicken and Black Bean Fideo Soup is a healthy Tex Mex soup made with shredded chicken, though my family does enjoy this soup made with cooked pulled pork as a substitute. To make this a creamy soup, add a splash of whipping cream just before serving it.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can definitely make this soup in a crockpot or slow cooker. Since all the ingredients are fully cooked at the time of assembly (except for the fideo pasta), you will only need to cook it on low for 2-3 hours.
As you may already know if you frequent this blog (and I sure hope you do!) we are huge fans of all things Mexican around here. I love to make Mexican Beef and Cheese Sanchiladas and I recently made my first ever batch of Indian Fry Bread Tacos – we will be eating these again soon!
What to Love About This Recipe –
- You can have it on the table in a flash if you use your Instant Pot.
- It can be customized in a variety of ways – add pulled pork or even browned ground beef instead of shredded chicken.
- Need a bigger batch for a large group? Double or triple this recipe easily.
How to Make Tex Mex Chicken and Black Bean Soup in 3 Easy Steps
- Saute the onions with the spices and tomato paste; add broth.
- Lock the Instant Pot lid into place and bring it to full pressure; cook the soup for two minutes, then perform a quick release to remove all pressure from the Instant Pot.
- Remove the lid and stir in the fideo pasta, chicken, beans and diced tomatoes and green chilies; stir to combine, then serve the soup with your favorite toppings. Ole!
What Ingredients Will You Need to Make Southwest Chicken and Black Bean Soup with Fideo?
- Olive oil or vegetable oil for sauteing the onion
- Spices: chili powder, cumin, granulated garlic (garlic powder), and smoked paprika, may substitute regular paprika, if needed.
- Tomato paste
- Chicken broth
- Mexican fideo pasta, may subsitute angel hair pasta, if needed.
- Cooked shredded chicken, may substitute any cooked meat, as desired.
- Black beans
- Diced tomatoes and green chilies
- Your favorite toppings – salsa, sour cream, cheese, guacamole, etc
Helpful Recipe Tips for Making Instant Pot Tex Mex Chicken and Black Bean Soup –
- Can I make this on the stove top or a slow cooker instead of my Instant Pot?
- What is fideo pasta and where will I find it in the grocery store?
- Can I substitute another type of canned beans for the black beans?
- What other types of cooked meats could I use in this soup?
- Would this be a good vegetarian soup if I opt to leave out the meat totally?
- Can I add vegetables to this soup?
You can easily make this soup on your stove top or in a slow cooker. Using a Dutch oven or deep pot, cook the onion with the spices and the tomato pasta; add the broth and remaining ingredients. Bring the soup to a high simmer, cooking until the fideo is tender. Simmer the soup for 25-30 minutes so the flavors can blend.
Fideo is a type of pasta that is very short and flat, with a bit of curve to it; you will typically find it in the Hispanic section of your grocery store. If you can’t find fideo for this recipe, substitute vermicelli or broken pieces of angel hair pasta.
You can substitute any type of cooked or canned beans in this recipe. I like how the black beans look in contrast to chili beans or pinto beans and they make a delicious flavor combination, too.
Any cooked meat can be used in this soup in place of the shredded chicken. I’ve used cooked pulled pork many times and it’s really good. Even leftover shredded roast beef would be a good substitute for the chicken.
This soup is delicious when made as a vegetarian-style soup with no meat. Be sure you substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth and you’re good to go.
Adding vegetables to this soup is a great addition – I’ve added both corn and hominy many times.
Other Instant Pot Recipes to Enjoy –
- Instant Pot Potato Salad
- Instant Pot Lazy-Butt Beef Subs…with Caramelized Onions
- How to Make Tender Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs
- Instant Pot Kielbasa Sausage with Potatoes and Green Beans
- 5-Minute Instant Pot Little Smokie Macaroni and Cheese
Printable Directions for Making Instant Pot Chicken and Black Bean Fideo Soup
Instant Pot Chicken and Black Bean Fideo Soup
- Olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 tsp. each cumin and chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. each granulated garlic and smoked paprika
- 2 Tbs. tomato paste
- 1 cup fideo pasta
- 2 cups shredded or chopped cooked chicken
- 14 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed (or approx 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans)
- 4-6 cups chicken broth depending on how thick you prefer your soup to be
- 10 oz. can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Your favorite toppings, such as avocado, cilantro, salsa, black olives, shredded cheeses
- Using the saute setting on the Instant Pot, add a swish of olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions, spices, and tomato paste, stirring and cooking until the tomato paste turns from bright red to more of a "brown-ish" color, adding chicken broth as needed during this process to keep the tomato paste from sticking to the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Add 2 cups of chicken broth, the fideo pasta, cooked chicken, beans, and the diced tomatoes and green chilies, bringing the soup to a high simmer.
- Lock the Instant Pot lid into place, choosing the high pressure setting for 2 minutes, bringing the Instant Pot to full pressure. When the timer sounds, perform a quick release to remove all the pressure from the Instant Pot.
- Carefully unlock and remove the Instant Pot lid; gently stir the soup ingredients in the Instant Pot to combine. Add as much more broth as desired, depending on how you prefer the consistency of your soup. (Keep in mind that the fideo pasta will absorb a lot of the broth as it rests.)
- Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve the soup garnished with your favorite toppings.
Thanks for visiting! I hope you return soon for more yummy recipes for your family. If you enjoy one of my recipes, I’d really appreciate a rating and a comment below!
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. If you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: ChefAlli@ChefAlli.com.
Let’s Get You Cookin’,