Are you looking for a decadent French Toast recipe for breakfast or brunch? This Oven-Baked Caramel Apple French Toast is amazing! My family and guests always request the recipe, and I’m happy to share it.
Oven-Baked Caramel Apple French Toast Recipe
I love that the bulk of the work for prepping this Caramel Apple French Toast can be done ahead of time. Everything can be mixed up the night before my guests arrive. The next morning as everyone is getting around, just place it in the oven to bake…what a great way to start the day!
Plus, this recipe is great for a church breakfast because it’s nice for serving to a group, and a much easier way to serve French Toast than standing at the stove cooking a few pieces at a time. This Oven-Baked Caramel Apple French Toast recipe is a real crowd pleaser!
Please Note: We do use referral links for products and services that Chef Alli loves!
Howdy! Chef Alli Here – Let’s Get You Cookin’….Shall We???? 🙂
The caramel apple combination in this French Toast bake is just delicious. It’s a decadent breakfast recipe, but at least I can feel good about eating some fruit…..right? If you’re looking for a delicious side dish to pair with this oven-baked breakfast casserole, try these Maple Glazed Breakfast Meatballs! I like to make them in my cast iron skillet since it goes right from the stove top to the oven, and is perfect for serving at the table, too.
Easy Recipe Tips for Caramel Apple French Toast Bake
- As I mentioned earlier, I love it that all the prep for assembling this French Toast Bake can be done ahead of time in a 9 x 13 cassole dish. Just remember that if you choose to do that, it’s wise to remove the French Toast Bake from the fridge about 30 minutes before you want to bake it. Otherwise, you’ll need to add an extra 15-20 minutes of baking time due to the ingredients being chilled from sitting in the fridge.
- Feel free to use your favorite Fall apples in this recipe. I like the tartness of Granny Smith apples, but Jonathon apples are a good choice as well. Or, choose an apple variety that’s local to your neck of the woods.
- Always remember that a recipe is just a GUIDE….nothing is set in stone. Because there are always variables when it comes to cooking (temperature of your ingredients, altitude, how hot your oven bakes, etc), remember that cooking/baking times are a basic guideline and tend to vary a bit. Adjust your recipe as needed, based on YOUR kitchen.
Printable Oven Baked Caramel Apple French Toast Recipe
Oven-Baked Caramel Apple French Toast
- 1 lb. loaf of French Bread, sliced into 10-12 slices, 1 1/2” thick
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbs. Vain Foods vanilla extract
- 5 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced very thin
- 3 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract (I love Vain Foods pure vanilla extract)
- Place the slices of French bread into a lightly greased 9 x 13 baking dish, pressing them tightly together to fit in a single layer in the baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs with 1 1/2 cups milk, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, and 1 tablespoon of vanilla; pour over the bread slices in baking dish.
- Arrange the sliced apples on top of the bread; sprinkle the sugar/cinnamon mixture evenly over the sliced apples. Cover the pan of French Toast with foil and refrigerate 8-10 hours or overnight.
- In the morning, remove the French toast from the fridge and uncover it 30 minutes before you want to bake it.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake the French toast, covered, on the center rack of the oven for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown and set at the center and apples are tender. Remove the foil for the last 20 minutes of the baking time. The French toast is done with a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat, combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, nutmeg, flour, milk, and 2 teaspoons vanilla; bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until thickened. Pour the prepared warm sauce over the baked French toast; serve at once.
More Favorite Breakfast Recipes to Enjoy –
- Jan’s Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Maple Glazed Breakfast Meatballs
- Sausage Egg and Biscuit Casserole with Cream Gravy
- Cowboy Breakfast Bites
- Glazed Cinnamon Roll French Toast
- Ham and Bacon Pastry Ring
- Very Berry French Toast Bake
- Country-Style Cinnamon Roll Bake
Please feel free to leave us a comment – we love hearing from our readers and followers! If you don’t hear back from us here, just know we may have somehow missed your comment or question. Do reach out to us by email: [email protected] and we will get right back to you.