Spicy-Sweet Hawaiian Cheese Ball with Ginger Snaps
Nothing says “game day” like a spread of appetizers and snacks. This Spicy-Sweet Hawaiian Cheese Ball rounds out the sweet end of your game-plan with crushed pineapple and red bell pepper, but adds a little kick at the end with diced jalapenos. It’s the best cheese ball!
Please Note: We do use referral links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends.
Howdy! Chef Alli Here. Let’s Get You Cookin’……Shall We??? 🙂
I love a good classic cheese ball, don’t you? You know, one that’s all creamy and rich inside, yet crunchy on the outside…..yum. That said, I also appreciate a good classic cheese ball recipe, as well. One that’s straight-forward and easy to follow! I think you’ll find this one to be just that.
What to Love About This Recipe –
- It’s easy and quick to make.
- Serving it with the ginger snaps sets it apart!
- It’s always a hit at gatherings.
What Ingredients Will You Need to Make This Cheese Ball?
- Cream cheese
- Crushed pineapple
- Red bell pepper
- Seasoned salt
- Chopped pecans
- Gingersnap cookies
How to Make a Spicy-Sweet Hawaiian Cheese Ball in 3 Easy Steps
- Chop the pecans.
- Combine half of the chopped pecans with the cream cheese, pineapple, jalapeno, red bell pepper, scallions and seasoned salt; shape this mixture into a big, fat ball.
- Pat the remaining chopped pecans onto the exterior of the cheeseball; refrigerate until ready to serve.
Easy Recipe Tips for Making a Cheese Ball
- Can I use low fat cream cheese to make this cheese ball?
- If I leave the pineapple out of this cheese ball, will it still be tasty?
- What is the best way to form a cheese ball?
- Are there any tips for rolling the cheese ball in the chopped pecans?
- What else is good to serve with this cheese ball?
Low fat cream cheese works fine in this cheese ball, but I’ve never used fat free cheese in this recipe so I can’t speak to that. You can leave the pineapple out of this cheese ball, if preferred. However, just know you no longer have a Hawaiian cheese ball on your hands…. 🙂
To help form the cheese ball, lay out two large sheets of plastic wrap that are slightly overlapping each other to make a big rectangle. Place the cheese ball mixture on top of the plastic wrap.
Pull the sides of the plastic wrap up around the cheese ball mixture, using the plastic wrap and your hands to kind of mold all the ingredients into a ball….don’t worry it it’s a bit misshapen at this point. Place the wrapped cheeseball into the fridge for 1 hour. (**Chilling for one hour really makes a difference when moving the next step of adding the pecans to the surface of the cheese ball.)
Pull back the plastic wrap just from the top part of the cheeseball, then pick up the whole thing (plastic wrap and all), inverting it on top of the chopped pecans on the baking sheet. Now, pull the remainder of the plastic wrap from the cheeseball, continuing to press the pecans into all sides, rolling it in the pecans if possible.
This cheese ball is also delicious served with crackers, toasted baguette slices, and vegetables.
Other Favorite Recipes to Enjoy –
Printable Directions for Making a Spicy-Sweet Hawaiian Cheese Ball
Spicy-Sweet Hawaiian Cheese Ball with Ginger Snaps
- 16 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 8 oz. can crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1 jalapeno, seeds and membranes removed, finely minced, adjust as need to taste
- ½ cup finely minced red bell pepper
- 3 Tbs. finely chopped green onion, green parts only
- 2 tsp. seasoned salt
- 2 cups toasted, chopped pecans, divided use
- Ginger snaps or your favorite crackers
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients(except the gingersnaps) with 1 cup of the pecans.
- On a clean work surface, lay out two large sheets of plastic wrap that are slightly over laid on top of each other to make a big rectangle. Using a big spatula or spoon, move the cream cheese mixture from the mixing bowl on top of the plastic wrap, hopefully close to the center.
- Pull the sides of the plastic wrap up around the cheese ball mixture, using the plastic wrap and your hands to work everything into a ball….don’t worry if it’s a bit misshapen at this point. Place the wrapped cheeseball into the fridge for 1 hour.
- Once the cheeseball has chilled for an hour, remove it from the fridge. Place the remaining chopped pecans onto a rimmed baking sheet, spreading them out. Pull back the plastic wrap just from the top part of the cheeseball, then, from the bottom, pick up the whole thing (plastic wrap and all), inverting it on top of the chopped pecans in the baking sheet.
- Now, pull the remainder of the plastic wrap from the cheeseball. If the cheeseball is sturdy enough, roll it in the chopped pecans using your hands and fingertips, pressing the pecans into the exterior. Remove the cheeseball to a platter; add pecans where needed so the cheese ball is covered evenly. Cover the cheeseball and chill for at least 4 hours before serving with the gingersnaps.
Please feel free to leave us a comment here – we love hearing from our readers and followers! If you don’t hear back from us, just know we may have somehow missed your comment or question. Do reach out to us by email: [email protected] We will get right back to you.