Sweet Potato Crumble Recipe
Oh, Sweet Potato Crumble, how I adore thee! This sweet potato casserole is a switch hitter – serve it as a side dish or serve it as a dessert. We’ve had lots of sweet potato haters over the years who converted all because of this wonderful recipe.
Please Note: We do use referral and affiliate links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends.
Howdy! Chef Alli Here. Let’s Get You Cookin’…..Shall We?? 🙂
This Baked Sweet Potato Crumble ranks way up there on my popularity list and I especially love the layer of apples and cranberries that’s hidden beneath the crumble topping.
You can make and bake this recipe in a casserole dish, OR, sometimes I like to bake it in my 10-inch cast iron skillet for a more rustic look.
And is it a crumble, or is it a crisp? You be the judge! Either way, it’s hands-down delicious.
What to Love About This Recipe –
- Sweet Potatoes….my fav.
- Haters are converted.
- Serve it as a side dish, or save it for a dessert!
What Ingredients Do You Need to Make Sweet Potato Crumble?
- Cream cheese
- Sweet potatoes
- Brown sugar
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Flour and oats
- Orange zest
How to Make Sweet Potato Crisp in 4 Easy Steps
- Combine the cream cheese with the mashed and cooked sweet potatoes, brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice; spread this mixture into a greased baking dish.
- Top the sweet potatoes with the chopped apples and cranberries, then a bit of brown sugar.
- Make the crumble topping by combining the flour, oats, sugar, butter, pecans, and orange zest; sprinkle this over the apple and cranberry layer.
- Bake the crumble for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and hot throughout.
More Favorite Recipes to Try –
Printable Directions for Making Baked Sweet Potato Crumble
Baked Sweet Potato Crumble
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened (may use low fat cream cheese, if desired)
- 40 oz. can sweet potato chunks, drained, or 3-4 large sweet potatoes, peeled, chunked, and cooked until fork-tender
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbs. dark brown sugar divided use
- 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 Granny Smith apple skin-on, cored and diced
- 1 cup fresh cranberries chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole oats
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup chopped, toasted pecans
- 1 tsp. freshly grated orange zest
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth; add sweet potatoes, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice and mix until combined.
- Spread prepared sweet potato mixture into a great 1 1/2 quart baking dish (a deep dish pie pan works great, or use your 10" cast iron skillet).
- Top the sweet potato mixture with the chopped apple and cranberries; sprinkle 1 Tbs. brown sugar over apples and cranberries.
To Make Crumble Topping
- In the same mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, pecans, and orange zest. Using a pastry blender (or a fork and a knife) cut butter into the flour mixture until crumbly; spread crumble topping evenly over the apple/cranberry layer.
- Bake, uncovered, in preheated 350 degree F. oven for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown on top and hot throughout.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so please leave us a comment if you’d like. And, if you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. You can always reach us by email: ChefAlli@ChefAlli.com.