Mom’s Instant Pot Chili is simple to make; you can have a pot of cozy, savory chili that tastes like it’s stewed all day long. The combination of beans and spices with lots of ground beef will leave you asking for more.
Mom’s Easy Instant Pot Chili Recipe
Howdy! Chef Alli Here. Let’s Get You Cookin’….Shall We?? 🙂
My Mom made the best chili…more like soup than chili, made with lots of ground beef and beans in a flavorful tomato broth.
When I was growing up, my Mom didn’t use an Instant Pot, but I’m sure she would have enjoyed any small appliance that could get this chili on the table in just 5 minutes.
My Mom also made an awesome beer bread to go with her chili, and like lots of us here in the Heartland, she enjoyed serving her chili with a side of cinnamon rolls. 🙂
I serve Speedy Homemade Cinnamon Rolls with my chili and soups, as well as Homemade Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Frosting. My boys are always begging me to make Hillbilly Chili – it’s their favorite chili that has spaghetti pasta along with the beans….a little bit unusual.
Things to Love About Mom’s Easy Instant Pot Chili –
- This is chili that’s more the consistency of soup – my favorite! (I like thick chili for a chili dog, but not in a bowl.)
- Yay! You’ll probably have all the ingredients on hand.
- The Instant Pot has this chili ready to eat in 5 minutes flat.
What Ingredients Do You Need to Make Mom’s Easy Instant Pot Chili?
- Spices: chili powder, dehydrated onion flakes, onion powder
- Lean ground beef
- Minced chipotles in adobo sauce
- Chicken broth
- White chili beans (if you can’t find white chili beans, you can use Northern beans or canellini beans)
- Diced tomatoes and green chilies
How to Make Instant Pot Chili in 4 Easy Steps
- Using the saute setting on the Instant Pot, add the spices to the dry pot, cooking and stirring them for just a few seconds until they are fragrant; add the ground beef and chipotles, crumbling the beef as it cooks; drain any fats that accumulate.
- Stir in the broth, beans, and diced tomatoes; season to taste with salt and pepper, bringing the chili to a boil.
- Lock the Instant Pot lid into place, bringing the Instant Pot to full pressure, cooking the chili for 5 minutes. When the timer sounds perform a quick release to remove all the pressure from the pot.
- Stir the chili, then serve at once, garnished with your favorite toppings.
Easy Recipe Tips for Making Mom’s Instant Pot Chili
- Can I leave the beans out of this chili?
- Can I use other types of beans in this chili? I’ve never even heard of white chili beans!
- What are chipotles?
- Can I double this recipe?
- Can I make this recipe in the slow cooker instead of the Instant Pot? How about on the stove?
You can leave the beans out of this chili recipe, if desired. White chili beans can be hard to find sometimes, so feel free to substitute regular chili beans or even pinto beans. Heck, I’ve even added black beans from time to time. Any beans will work.
Chipotles are smoked jalapenos that come packed in adobo sauce. They are deliciously smoky in flavor and also HOT. Chipotles are very trendy so you will see them listed as an ingredient in lots of savory recipes.
You will find chipotles in the Hispanic section of your local grocer. When I purchase whole chipotles in adobo sauce, I give them a whirl in my food processor then store them in a jar in the fridge. That way, when I’ve got a recipe that calls for a few teaspoons of chipotles, they are ready and willing to go.
This recipe for chili doubles very nicely and easily and you can also freeze this chili, too.
If you’d like to make this chili in a slow cooker, you can create it first on your stove top in a Dutch oven or stock pot, then place it into the slow cooker on low for 3-4 hours so the flavors can meld.
Other Instant Pot Soup Recipes to Enjoy –
- Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup
- Speedy Instant Pot Vegetable Ground Beef Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Orzo Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Instant Pot Ravioli Soup
- 6-Ingredient Creamy Chicken and Enchilada Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken and Black Bean Fideo Soup
We also love this cornbread served with Instant Pot Chili – Cheddar and Green Chili Sausage Cornbread.
Printable Mom’s Instant Pot Chili Recipe
Mom's Instant Pot Chili
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 Tbs. chili powder
- 1 Tbs. onion flakes
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1-2 tsp. minced chipotles in adobo depending on how smoky and spicy you like your chili
- 2-3 cups chicken broth
- 16 oz. can white chili beans drained
- 10 oz. can diced tomatoes and green chilies with juice
- 16 oz. can petite diced tomatoes with juice
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Using the sauté setting, add chili powder, onions flakes and onion power to the pot; in a few seconds when the spices are nicely fragrant, add the ground beef and chipotles. Brown the beef, crumbling it as it cooks uintil no pink remains and the beef is cooked throughout; drain any fats that accumulate. When chili powder is fragrant in a few seconds, add ground beef, chipotles, onion flakes, and onion powder. Crumble beef and cook until it is nicely browned and no pink remains; drain fats from beef.
- Stir in the broth, beans, and tomatoes; season the chili to taste with salt and pepper, bringing chili to a boil.
- Turn off the saute setting, then lock the Instant Pot lid into place. Using the High Pressure setting, set the timer for 5 minutes, bringing the Instant Pot to full pressure. When timer sounds, perform a quick to remove all the pressure from the Instant Pot; carefully unlock and remove lid. Stir the chili, then serve garnished with your favorite toppings.
Thanks for visiting! I hope you return soon for more yummy recipes for your family.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. If you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: [email protected]
Let’s Get You Cookin’,
Please Note: We do use referral and affiliate links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends. I may receive a small compensation when you use these links. This really helps me keep my recipe blog moving forward. Thank you so much!
Leave a Reply