Casserole recipes for dinner are always on the mind of every Mom in America. Enter the The Cowgirl Casserole Meal, one of our absolute favs made with ground beef, canned biscuits and a creamy filling.
Like most busy families, casserole recipes that are easy, fast and made with on-hand ingredients are a must-have. I especially like how fast I can have this ground beef casserole on the table; in under an hour (from start to finish!) I can have dinner ready.
The Cowgirl Casserole Meal Recipe
Howdy! Chef Alli Here. Let’s Get You Cookin’….Shall We? ?
Let’s face it. Us moms love casseroles because they are typically a one-pan (or one baking dish) meal. Easy and filling casserole dishes we can throw together from on-hand ingredients, that the whole family will enjoy and devour when it’s set before them.
The best casserole recipes are the ones that we can even make ahead of time, baking them as we need them. That makes cooking dinner a lot less hectic and our evening much less harried.
What to Love About This Recipe for The Cowgirl Casserole Meal –
- Everybody needs a hearty beef and biscuit recipe in their repertoire.
- It looks super appetizing – lots of beautiful colors and textures. (Remember – we eat with our eyes first!)
- Easy. Fast. Fabulous.
What 8 Ingredients Do You Need to Make The Cowgirl Casserole Meal?
- Ground beef
- Taco seasoning
- Bell peppers, optional
- Canned Biscuits
- Sour cream
- Onion powder (I use granulated onion), optional
- Cheddar Cheese
- Your favorite toppings, such as tomatoes, cilantro, jalapenos, sour cream, etc., optional
Recipes Tips for Making The Cowgirl Casserole Meal
Baking the biscuit dough (before adding the meat and creamy filling) is essential so that the crust on the bottom is golden brown and crispy. A soggy crust is always disappointing!
Be sure to bake the pan of biscuit crust on the lowest rack of the oven so that it can easily get nice and golden brown on the bottom of the crust.
Feel free to substitute crescent roll dough in place of the biscuits – I’ve done this before and it works great.
Add any type of cooked ground meat to this recipe. Ground turkey, ground sausage, ground venison, ground bison – the choice is yours and they are all delicious as part of this casserole.
How to Make Cowgirl Creamy Ground Beef Casserole in 6 Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Using your finger tips, press the canned biscuits across the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish until they become a solid, single layer.
- Bake the crust by itself in a greased 9 x 13 baking dish until golden brown.
- While the biscuits are baking, brown the ground beef with the taco seasoning and bell peppers, adding the water as instructed on the packet. Spread this mixture over the baked biscuit crust.
- Combine the sour cream, mayo, onion powder, and half of the shredded cheese; top the ground beef layer with this mixture.
- Bake the casserole for 25-30 minutes, or until hot throughout, adding the cheese at the 5 minute mark so it can melt over the top. Let the casserole rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings and serve at once.
More Favorite Recipes to Enjoy –
- Chili Cheese Dog Tater Tot Bake
- Oh Snap! Baked Spaghetti Pie Casserole
- Creamy Pesto Pasta with Chicken
- Tex Mex Chicken Cornbread Casserole
- Cheesy Hash Brown Meatloaf Pie
- Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole with Bacon
Printable Recipe for The Cowgirl Casserole Meal
The Cowgirl Casserole Meal
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 oz. packet taco seasoning plus water listed on package directions
- 1 medium red or green bell pepper seeds and membranes removed, sliced, optional
- 16 oz. can large biscuits
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. onion powder or granulated onion
- 1/2 cup halved grape or cherry tomatoes as desired
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Colby Jack cheese divided use
- Your favorite toppings, such as jalapeño pepper slices, sour cream, salsa, etc. optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F; spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Place the biscuits in the prepared baking dish in a single layer, using your fingertips to press them all together into a single layer, also pressing the dough halfway up the sides of the pan all the way around.
- Place the baking dish onto the lower oven rack; bake for 10-15 minutes, uncovered, just until slightly golden brown on the bottom. Remove the crust from the oven and set aside, leaving the oven on.
- While biscuits are baking, place a large skillet over medium high heat, adding a bit of oil if needed. When the oil is hot, add the ground beef, crumbling it with the taco seasoning, water, and bell pepper slices; cook according to the packet instructions. When the ground beef mixture is nicely cooked throughout; drain any fats that accumulate. Transfer the cooked meat mixture to the biscuit crust in the baking dish, spreading the beef out evenly in a single layer.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, onion powder, and half of the shredded cheddar cheese; place dollops of this mixture over the ground beef layer, using a spatula to spread them out evenly in a single layer; sprinkle the tomatoes over the top.
- Bake the casserole, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until the edges and bottom of the crust are golden brown; sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese over the top of the casserole at the 5 minute mark, letting the cheese melt a bit. Let the casserole rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with your favorite toppings, as desired.
Thanks for visiting! I hope you return soon for more yummy recipes for your family.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. If you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: [email protected]
Let’s Get You Cookin’,
Please Note: We do use referral and affiliate links here for products and services that are recommended.