Moist and Tender Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Muffins Recipe
These are the ultimate chocolate chip muffins…..or are they chocolate chip cupcakes? Either way, these peanut butter chocolate muffins are loaded, tender, moist and easy.
Please Note: We do use referral and affiliate links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends.
Howdy! Chef Alli Here. Let’s Get You Cookin’….Shall We? 🙂
Since my family loves Chocolate Chocolate-Chip Muffins so much, I thought I should come up with a muffin recipe that combined chocolate with peanut butter…..voila!
Both of these chocolate muffin recipes feature 3 key ingredients that combine to produce muffins that are super moist and amazingly tender – milk, oil, and applesauce.
What to Love About This Recipe –
- This is a muffin recipe you’ll make again and again.
- These muffins freeze great.
- No more dry, crumbly muffins ever again!
What’s the Secret Ingredient in Moist Chocolate Chocolate-Chip Muffins?
- Applesauce! In addition to milk, oil, and eggs, adding applesauce to this muffin batter provides just a little extra punch of moisture to the recipe. Applesauce also adds a touch of sweetness so your chocolate-chip muffins are the perfect level of sweet and the perfect kind of moist. No more crumbly muffins….ever!
What’s the Secret Technique to Moist Chocolate Chocolate-Chip Muffins?
- A Foil Covering! Anytime you are baking muffins, loosely cover the muffin pan with a sheet of foil once you remove it from the oven. My Grandma Lucille showed me how to do this with cakes that were hot from the oven and I’ve always done this with my muffins, as well. Such a great kitchen hack for making super moist muffins!
What Ingredients Will I Need to Make Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins?
- Dry Ingredients – Flour, baking powder, kosher salt, sugar, brown sugar, cocoa powder
- Chocolate chips
- Peanut butter chips
- Vanilla extract
- An egg
How to Make Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins in 4 Easy Steps
- Combine the dry ingredients with the chocolate and peanut butter chips in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the vanilla, egg, applesauce, milk and oil.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl, stirring just until combined.
- Divide the prepared batter between greased muffin cups and bake in a preheated 350 degree F. for 20-23 minutes. Cool the muffins on a cooling rack. Store muffins in an air tight container.
Easy Recipe Tips for Making Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins –
- The recipe instructs to barely combine the muffin batter when adding in the dry ingredients. Why does this matter?
Over mixing the batter when making muffins causes them to be tough and chewy. Gently mixing the ingredients together just until they have incorporated yields the light and tender texture we love in a muffin.
- Can I use different flavors of chips in my chocolate muffins?
Feel free to use any flavor of chips (or a combination) in these muffins to change them up a bit – cherry, chocolate mint, butterscotch, white chocolate chip….any that you prefer.
- To save calories and fat, can I substitute more applesauce in place of the oil in this recipe?
You can add more applesauce and reduce the amount of oil if you’d like. Just know that it will affect the outcome since it changes the texture and structure of the muffin. ( I’ve found that I’d rather eat just ONE really good, satisfying-ly moist and yummy muffin in place of TWO just so-so muffins.)
- Can I freeze these muffins?
These muffins freeze and thaw incredibly well. I like to double up on this recipe and make 2-3 batches at once. Once baked and completely cooled, I place them into air tight containers and store them in the freezer.
- If I make mini or extra large muffins instead of standard full-size muffins with this recipe, how should the baking times be adjusted?
If you opt to make mini muffins instead of standard-size muffins, reduce the baking time to 12-15 minutes. As another option, you can make 6 very large muffins with this recipe, increasing the baking time to 25-28 minutes.
Other Favorite Chocolate Recipes to Enjoy –
- No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- How to Make Chocolate Cream Pie….The Easy Way!
- White Chocolate Strawberry Poke Cake
- Dreamy Chocolate Dessert Trifle
- Super Moist Chocolate Chocolate-Chip Muffins
- Instant Pot Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Pound Cake
- Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cakes for Two
Printable Directions for Making Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins
How to Make Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- additional chocolate and peanut butter chips for topping the muffins if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 12 muffin cups or line the muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, brown sugar, cocoa, chocolate chips, and peanut butter chips.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the vanilla, egg, applesauce, milk, and oil until smooth; pour into flour mixture and stir until the mixture is just combined. Don't over mix!
- Divide the prepared batter between the 12 prepared muffin cups, filling each one about 2/3 full. If desired, sprinkle a few additional chocolate and peanut butter chips over the top of the muffins. (**Please note – you should have enough batter leftover to make 3 additional muffins for a total of 15 muffins per recipe.)
- Bake muffins, uncovered, on center rack, in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 20-23 minutes. Remove from the oven, then loosely cover the muffin pan with a sheet of foil.
- Let the muffins cool, covered, then loosen and remove each one from the muffin tin; store in an air tight container. Cooled muffins can be placed in the freezer in an air tight container or wrapped in foil and placed into a large freezer bag.
Thanks for visiting! I hope you return soon for more yummy recipes for your family.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. If you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: ChefAlli@ChefAlli.com.