Scouting for a fun game day dessert that you can whip out in mere minutes? Use this simple tutorial to make this Easy Football Cake for your next watch party.
Please Note: We do use referral and affiliate links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends.
Every game-day party needs to include dessert on the menu somewhere, right? I find that it’s often super easy to put the total focus on the queso and chips, sliders, and meat and cheese trays, etc., forgetting how dessert needs to be included, too.
That said, if you’ve got a watch party (or even a birthday party) in the works, you’re gonna love how fun this Easy Football Cake is to make.
One chocolate cake mix makes 2 football cakes and you can put them together in an hour or less, including the time needed for baking.
This easy football cake will impress all your guests, big and small. Also, if you don’t have a cake mix on hand, feel free to substitute a brownie mix.
How to Make An Easy Chocolate Football Cake in 3 Quick Steps
Step 1: Prepare the box cake mix according to package directions. Pour the batter into two round 9″ cake pans that have been sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake the cakes per package directions. Once the cakes are baked, place them onto a cooling rack, covering each pan with foil; let the covered cakes cool completely.
Step 2: Once the cakes are cooled, use a large knife to cut each cake in half, then slice a 1″ strip from the side of each cake half so that when the halves are placed together, side-by-side, they form a football. (You will have 2 football cakes.) Frost each cake as desired with chocolate frosting.
Step 3: Next, it’s time to add the football laces. My laces look pretty “rustic” because I piped my buttercream frosting from the corner of a gallon freezer bag. (But, hey, it worked!) And, also, those little flecks of orange? That is actually orange zest you see in my frosting….I may or may not have been using up some frosting I had on hand from another project. 🙂
More Favorite Cake Recipes to Enjoy –
- White Chocolate Strawberry Poke Cake
- Strawberry Lemon-Lava Angel Cakes
- Cranberry Butter Cake
- Honey Bun Cake
- Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cakes for Two
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
- Berry Good No-Bake Cake
Printable Chocolate Football Cake Recipe
Easy Football Cake
- 1 chocolate cake mix, prepared according to package directions
- 1 can chocolate buttercream frosting
- 1 can white buttercream frosting
- Pour the prepared cake batter into two round 9" cake pans that have been sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake the cakes as directed per the package directions. Once the cakes are baked, remove them from the oven to a cooling rack, covering each pan with foil; let the covered cakes cool completely.
- Once the cakes are cooled, use a large knife to cut each cake in half, then slice a 1" strip from each half so that when the halves are placed together, side-by-side, they form a football. (You will have 2 footballs.) Frost each football cake with chocolate frosting, as desired.
- Fill a pastry bag (fitted with a piping tip) with the buttercream frosting; pipe on the laces of each football cake. (If you don't have a pastry bag, use a freezer bag, cutting off the tip of one corner.)
Yummy Game Day Fare: Crispy Potato Skins
Game Day Savory-Sweet Bacon Cheeseburger Sliders
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. And, if you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: [email protected]
Leave a Reply