Are you on the lookout for chicken sausage recipes? I am! Air Fryer Loaded Chicken Sausage Melt is my new favorite way to enjoy chicken sausage. You can eat it as a sandwich or opt out of the bread all together and you’ve got a low carb chicken sausage meal in nothing flat.
Once you learn how to cook chicken sausage, you’ll be using it in all kinds of dishes because it makes such a quick and easy meal in just minutes.
Air Fryer Al Fresco Chicken Sausage Melt Recipe
HOWDY! CHEF ALLI HERE. LET’S GET YOU COOKIN’…. SHALL WE?? 🙂
We are so in love with our air fryer. This kind of came as a surprise to us. Who knew we would use the darn thing all the time like we do?? It cooks super and fast and is easy to use to we are big fans.
I was worried when we first got our air fryer since it does take up quite a bit of counter space and that is prime real estate at my house. I can totally say it’s worth it!
WHAT TO LOVE ABOUT THIS RECIPE
- Extremely fast. Super easy.
- All you need are a few on-hand ingredients.
- You can make this a low carb recipe by opting out of the bun.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED TO COOK A LOADED CHICKEN SAUSAGE MELT
- Chicken sausages, I used Al Fresco Sweet Italian Style Chicken Sausage
- Cheese – I used sliced provolone and shredded mozzarella
- Hoagie buns
- Purple onions and bell peppers
- McCormick steak seasoning
- Parmesan, optional
HOW TO MAKE EASY AIR FRYER LOADED CHICKEN SAUSAGE MELT
**Print the full recipe from the RECIPE CARD at the bottom of this post
Place the sausages onto the air fryer rack, not touching each other.
Air fry the sausages for 5-10 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy on the exterior.
Slice the warm sausages in half lengthwise.
Toss the red onions and bell peppers with a bit of oil, then place them onto the air fryer rack. Air fry the vegetables for 6-7 minutes, just until they are beginning to soften.
Spread the Hoagie buns with mayonnaise and top with the provolone cheese slices, add the desired amount of warm veggies, then place the warm sausages on top.
Sprinkle the sausages with shredded mozzarella; garnish with Parmesan, if desired.
Cook the chicken sausage melt in the air fryer for 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden brown on top. Serve at once.
ANSWERS TO COMMON QUESTIONS ASKED ABOUT THIS RECIPE
WHICH TOOLS ARE HELPFUL FOR MAKING THIS AIR FRYER RECIPE?
You’ll find a rack-style air fryer to be a very useful kitchen appliance. Unlike a basket-style air fryer, you can spread the food out over the rack in a single layer allowing it to cook really quickly with lots of added crispy-ness. And, you can cook larger quantities of food in a rack-style air fryer vs. a basket-style air fryer.
Kitchen tongs are handy for transferring the sausages from the air fryer to the cutting board and also for tossing the peppers and onions during the cooking process. I like using a small offset spatula for spreading the buns with mayo.
WHAT IS AL FRESCO CHICKEN SAUSAGE?
Al Fresco Chicken Sausage is a particular brand of chicken sausage that you will find near the other types of fully-cooked sausages at the grocery store, such as smoked sausage, kielbasa sausage, and polish sausage. These sausages are usually in the deli meat case, near lunch meat and bacon, too.
I really like the Al Fresco Sweet Italian Style Chicken Sausage the best of their varieties available. Because it’s already fully cooked at purchase, it reheats really quickly when it’s time to make dinner – I love this!
CAN I USE OTHER TYPES OF SAUSAGE IN THIS AIR FRYER TOASTED SANDWICH?
Yep. Any type of FULLY COOKED SAUSAGE (such as brats, kielbasa sausage, smoked sausage, etc) will work great in this sandwich.
WHY DO YOU BROWN THE CHICKEN SAUSAGES FIRST?
It’s important to cook the sausages by themselves in the air fryer so they can get nicely browned on the exterior. This gives them a crispy texture and the browning (aka caramelization) adds TONS OF FLAVOR.
HOW DO I MAKE THIS A LOW CARB CHICKEN SAUSAGE MEAL?
Heck yes! Just opt out of the bread and this becomes an easy low carb meal. Add the cooked chicken sausages directly to the cooked bell peppers and onions, sprinkle with cheese and cook a few minutes longer in the air fryer until the cheese is melted and golden brown on top. Enjoy at once!
CAN I MAKE THIS AIR FRYER CHICKEN SAUSAGE SANDWICH WITHOUT THE VEGETABLES?
Totally….and it’s delicious. I prefer it with the veggies, but I know there are lots of kiddos who would just want the bread, cheese, and chicken sausages for their sandwich.
HOW DO I COOK CHICKEN SAUSAGE IN THE AIR FRYER?
Lay the chicken sausage links on the air fryer rack, not touching each other. Turn the air fryer to the 350 degree setting, then air fry the sausages for 5-10 minutes (this will depend on your type of air fryer) just until they are golden brown and crispy on the outside.
Remember that the chicken sausages are already fully cooked when you purchase them, so it doesn’t take long to just reheat and brown them in the air fryer.
MORE FAVORITE RECIPES TO ENJOY –
- AIR FRYER BANG BANG SALMON SALMON
- INSTANT POT STICKY CHICKEN THIGHS
- ROAST BEEF WELLINGTON PACKETS WITH CREAMY HORSERADISH SAUCE
- AIR FRYER MAPLE BACON BRUSSEL SPROUTS
- SKILLET SIZZLE STEAKS WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY
PRINTABLE AIR FRYER LOADED CHICKEN SAUSAGE MELT RECIPE
Air Fryer Loaded Chicken Sausage Melt
- 11 oz. pkg. Al Fresco Chicken Sausage I used Sweet Italian Style (pkg contains 4 chicken sausage links)
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 1/2 purple onion sliced
- 2 bell peppers any color
- Olive oil for cooking the peppers
- Montreal steak seasoning to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese for garnishing, optional
- Place the sausages onto the air fryer rack, not touching each other.
- Air fry the sausages for 5-10 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy on the exterior.
- Slice the warm sausages in half lengthwise.
- Toss the red onions and bell peppers with a bit of oil, then place them onto the air fryer rack. Air fry the vegetables for 6-7 minutes, just until they are beginning to soften.
- Spread the Hoagie buns with mayonnaise and top with the provolone cheese slices, add the desired amount of warm veggies, then place the warm sausages on top.
- Sprinkle the sausages with shredded mozzarella; garnish with Parmesan, if desired.
- Cook the chicken sausage melt in the air fryer for 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden brown on top. Serve at once.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. If you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: [email protected].
LET’S GET YOU COOKIN’,
Please Note: We do use referral and affiliate links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends. If you click on a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.