Glazed Cherry Coffee Cake Recipe
Are you a fan of coffee cake recipes made with pie fillings and cake mixes? I am, because that means they are going to be easy, beautiful, and still considered homemade. Glazed Cherry Coffee Cake can be served for breakfast or as a dessert.
Please Note: We do use referral and affiliate links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends.
Howdy! Chef Alli Here. Let’s Get You Cookin’….Shall We? 🙂
Who doesn’t love a good coffee cake? Actually, who doesn’t love a good cake, no matter what kind of cake it is? I’m raising my hand right now – we adore cake around here.
Tender White Cake (Made from a Box Mix) is fantastically moist and luscious, made with coconut milk. And we also love Berry Good No-Bake Cake during the summer months when it’s ridiculously hot here in KS.
Another favorite coffee cake that my sons beg for is Honey Bun Cake, which is also made with a yellow cake mix that’s “embellished” with brown sugar, cinnamon and a glaze over the top.
What to Love About Glazed Cherry Coffee Cake –
- A cake mix cake….so easy.
- It’s homemade but fast.
- Everybody goes crazy for it.
What Ingredients Do I Need to Make This Cherry Coffee Cake with Almonds?
- Yellow cake mix
- Melted butter
- Cherry pie filling
- Granulated Sugar
- Powdered sugar glaze
How to Make Cherry Pie Filling Coffee Cake in 5 Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven. To make the cake base, combine the half of the dry cake mix with the yeast, flour, water, and eggs; spread into the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Spoon the cherry pie filling over the cake batter; sprinkle with sugar.
- Make the streusel topping by combining the melted butter and the remaining dry cake mix – this will be thick and kind of lumpy; use your fingers to crumble this over the top of the cherry pie filling.
- Make the glazed by combining butter, milk, and powdered sugar; whisk until smooth.
- Bake the coffee cake until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean (no cake batter, but it’s okay if there’s cherry pie filling on the tester knife). Glaze the cake while it is still warm, but not hot; sprinkle the sliced almonds over the top.
Easy Recipe Tips for Making Cherry Crumble Coffee Cake
- What other pie fillings are good for making this coffee cake?
- Can I use a white cake mix instead of a yellow cake mix?
- Does it matter what type of dry yeast I use?
The sky is the limit for pie fillings in this coffee cake. We love using peach pie filling and also apple pie filling. Sometime I’m even going to try strawberry pie filling.
If I don’t have a yellow cake mix on hand, I often use a white cake mix – it works fine. I’ve never tried it, but I also think that a chocolate cake mix with the cherry pie filling would be delicious, too.
As for the yeast in this recipe, you can use regular dry yeast or quick rise dry yeast – either one.
More Favorite Cake Recipes to Enjoy –
- White Chocolate Strawberry Poke Cake
- Strawberry Lemon-Lava Angel Cakes
- Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cakes for Two
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
- Chocolate Football Cake Tutorial
Printable Directions for Making Glazed Cherry Coffee Cake
Glazed Cherry Coffee Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix divided use
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup very warm tap water
- 1 pkg. dry yeast (2 1/2 tsp.)
- 2 large eggs
- 5 Tbs. melted butter
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 2 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 2 Tbs. warm melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of the cake with the flour and the yeast; add the water and eggs. Using an electric mixer, beat the ingredients for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl often; the batter will be very thick. Spread the prepared batter into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan, smoothing out the top of the cake batter. Spoon the cherry pie filling over the top of the cake batter in the baking pan
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, combine the remaining dry cake mix with the melted butter to make the topping; reserve. Using your finger tips, crumble the topping over the cherry pie filling, then sprinkle the sugar and the sliced almonds over the top.
- Bake the cake on the center rack of the oven, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. (There should be no cake batter on the knife, but it’s okay if there is cherry pie filling on the knife.)
- When the cake is done, place the pan onto a cooling rack. Glaze the cake while it is still warm, but not hot.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the glaze. Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl; use an electric mixer to blend until smooth. While the glaze is still warm, drizzle it over the top of the warm coffee cake.
Thanks for visiting! I hope you return soon for more yummy recipes for your family.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. If you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: ChefAlli@ChefAlli.com.