Are there any Mexican food recipes that aren’t flat delicious? I doubt it. This Mexican ground beef recipe is so fast and simple to make – you’ll never believe it. Easy Tex Mex Cornbread Casserole (made in your trusty cast iron skillet) will be your family’s favorite new dinner idea.
Easy Tex Mex Cornbread Casserole Recipe
Howdy! Chef Alli Here. Let’s Get You Cookin’….Shall We?? 🙂
If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a zillion times: We LOVE Mexican food at our house. From Beef and Bean Baked Tacos (a super tasty sheet pan meal) to Betty’s Easy Enchilada Bake to Easy Smoked Queso Dip, we can never get enough Mexican.
If you follow my blog, you already know I’ve got tons of Mexican and Tex Mex recipes for you to choose from when you get a hankerin’.
3 good reasons to love this recipe –
- Here’s pure comfort food at it’s finest.
- This skillet meal is super quick and easy.
- It feeds a crowd!
How to Make Classic Tex Mex Cornbread Casserole in 5 Easy Steps –
- In a large mixing bowl, make the cornbread batter by combining the Jiffy mix, creamed corn, sugar, and egg; spread into a large greased (or well seasoned) cast iron skillet or a greased 9×13 pan; bake for 15-20 minutes or until done at the center.
- Remove the cornbread from the oven and immediately prick the surface with a fork; pour the enchilada sauce over the pricked cornbread.
3. Meanwhile, cook the onions and bell pepper with the garlic until softened in a skillet over medium heat; add the ground beef. Cook and crumble the beef with the vegetables until fully cooked throughout. Drain any fats that have accumulated.
4. Spread the ground beef mixture over the top of the baked cornbread; cover well. Bake the casserole in a 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes; remove the cover and top with cheese. Bake, uncovered, for an additional 5 minutes.
5. Serve with your favorite Mexican toppings, such as salsa, sour cream, cilantro, etc.
Common Questions Asked About
What tools are helpful for making chicken pot pie recipes?
- A 12-inch cast iron skillet is great for making this Mexican food casserole. Or, if you’ve got a good 9×13 pan in your cupboard, use that – it works great, too.
- I use a wooden spatula to break up the ground beef, then to crumble the beef into smaller pieces, I break out my potato masher – it works great for this task!
- My favorite mixing bowl is one with a grip handle on one side. The handle makes it easier to pour ingredients, such as the cornbread batter in this recipe, or cake and brownie mixes, into pans and skillets.
Can you use any type of ground meat in this casserole?
- You sure can. My boys are hunters, so I’ve used ground venison with great success. If you’d like to make this casserole with less fat content and fewer calories, you can substitute ground turkey or ground chicken for the ground beef with no problem.
If I only have green enchilada sauce on hand, can I substitute that in place of the red enchilada sauce?
- Absolutely. You won’t have quite the same rich color without the red sauce, but it will still be totally delicious. Been there and done it!
More Favorite Mexican Recipes to Enjoy –
- AIR FRYER PULLED PORK NACHOS
- TWISTED MEXICAN HOT TOTS
- SOUTHWEST CUTLETS WITH CALICO RICE
- CRUNCHY QUESADILLA WRAPS
- MEXICAN SALAD WITH HONEY-LIME DRESSING
Printable Tex Mex Cornbread Casserole Recipe –
Easy Tex Mex Cornbread Casserole
- 1 Jiffy cornbread mix
- 15 oz. can creamed corn
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbs granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 10 oz. can red enchilada sauce
- 1 lb. lean ground beef or any ground meat, such as ground turkey, bison, or venison
- 1 medium onion diced, may substitute 1 Tbs. dehydrated onions
- 1 red bell pepper seeds and membranes removed, diced, can substitute any color of bell pepper
- 2-3 Tbs. your favorite taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently stir the cornbread mix, corn, sour cream, sugar, and egg just until combined; spread into a greased 12-inch cast iron skillet or a greased 9×13 pan.
- Bake the cornbread mixture for 15-20 minutes, or until a knife inserted at the center comes out clean.
- Using a fork, jab the warm cornbread all over the surface, then pour the enchilada sauce over the top.
- Meanwhile, in skillet over medium heat, sauté the onions and bell peppers with the garlic in a bit of oil.
- Add the ground beef and continue to cook and crumble until the beef is fully cooked throughout; drain any fats that accumulate.
- Spread the ground beef mixture over the top of the baked cornbread; cover. with foil or a lid.Bake the casserole for 10 minutes. Remove the cover and top with cheese; bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve at once, with your favorite toppings, such as diced tomatoes, green chilies, salsa, sour cream, etc.
Thanks for visiting! I hope you return soon for more yummy recipes for your family.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. If you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: [email protected]
Let’s Get You Cookin’,
Please Note: We do use referral and affiliate links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends. I may receive a small compensation when you use these links. This really helps me keep my recipe blog moving forward. Thank you so much!