Are you seeking a Healthy Mexican Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing that’s fresh, crunchy, and indescribably delicious?? Search no more – you’ve arrived. Many will definitely call this a salad that’s in line with the clean eating movement.
Clean Eating Healthy Mexican Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing Recipe
Howdy! Chef Alli Here. Let’s Get You Cookin’….Shall We? ?
You may be wondering what is meant by “clean eating”. I wondered the same thing the first time I heard this term.
Upon doing some research, this is what I learned: Clean eating is a life-style that encourages the consumption of whole foods such as vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, whole grains, and healthy fats with minimal highly processed snack foods and sweets.
What to Love About This Salad Recipe –
- You can do the salad meal prep ahead and assemble when you’re ready to eat.
- Clean eating salads are so fresh and delicious. You’ll want to eat one every day.
- Here’s great salad bar idea – lay out all the ingredients and let your guests create their own. Such a perfect salad for a party!
What Ingredients Do You Need to Make Healthy Mexican Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing?
Salad Ingredients – Customize as Preferred!
- Black beans
- Sweet bell pepper
- Grape or cherry tomatoes
- Red onion
- Jalapeno, optional
- Tortilla chips, optional
- Lime juice and zest
Salads for Parties
Because this salad is such a masterpiece, it’s especially good for serving at parties and gatherings. Your guests will rave and everyone will request the recipe, for sure.
Salad Bar Ideas
This is a great healthy salad for setting up as a salad bar. Guests love getting to customize their own salad to their particular preferences. Just lay out all the ingredients in bowls, letting your guests go through the salad bar to create their own.
What is a Jicama, Anyway?
- Jicama is a root vegetable, also known as a Mexican potato.
- A jicama has a very fleshy, crisp texture. It is refreshing and delicious, tasting something like a cross between an apple and a potato.
- Jicama is low in calories, high in fiber, and tastes great in salads, salsas and as part of a veggie tray, perfect for dipping!
- Look for a jicama that is close to softball size with a very firm texture when you press on it. A jicama will have a waxy coating on the outside that helps preserve freshness.
- Jicama should absolutely be served peeled. Some peelers are sturdy enough to peel the fibrous exterior, but I typically use a paring knife for peeling to make the job easier.
- To slice and serve, cut the peeled jicama in half, placing each half cut-side-down on your cutting board. Now slice across each half; lay each slice flat on the cutting board, slicing each one into strips.
Recipe Tips for Making Healthy Mexican Salad with Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
Make this a main dish meal by adding cooked chicken to this salad, such as the meat from a rotisserie chicken.
Any cooked meat can be included to make a main dish meal from this salad – pulled pork, shredded beef, grilled salmon, or sliced steak are good options for variety.
This salad doesn’t have to be served with the tortilla tips on top, but it sure does add a nice texture. The sliced jicama adds great crunch to this salad, as well.
If your local grocer doesn’t have jicama, do not worry. This salad is still yummy without the jicama – it just won’t be quite as crunchy.
If you don’t have black beans on hand, substitute drained and rinsed chili beans or pinto beans. I’ve even used cranberry beans and cannellini beans, too.
Other Dinner Ideas for Healthy Clean Eating –
Air Fryer Marinated Steak Bites
Instant Pot Orzo Chicken Soup with Vegetables
Honey-Thyme Sausage and Veggie Sheet Pan Meal
Pinto Bean Salad with Feta and Walnuts
Orzo Pasta Salad with Grilled Steak
Instant Pot Chicken and Bean Fideo Soup
Watermelon Dessert Pizza
Black Bean and Corn Salad with Jicama
Printable Recipe for Healthy Mexican Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing
Healthy Mexican Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbs. honey
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste, optional
- 1 head leaf lettuce torn into bite-size pieces, may substitute romaine lettuce or iceberg lettuce, if desired
- 12 oz. package frozen corn thawed
- 15 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 sweet green or red bell pepper seeds and membranes removed, diced
- 8 oz. grape or cherry tomatoes halved lengthwise, or substitute any diced fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 small jicama peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 1 jalapeño, optional seeds and membranes removed, minced
- crushed tortilla chips, for added crunch, optional
Make the Dressing
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a dressing cruet or glass jar with a lid, shaking well to combine.
Make the Chopped Mexican Salad
- In a large serving bowl, combine the lettuce, corn, black beans, bell pepper, grape tomatoes, red onion, jicama, and cilantro; drizzle with the prepared dressing, tossing gently to coat. Top the salad with crushed tortilla chips, as desired. Serve at once.
Thanks for visiting! I hope you return soon for more yummy recipes for your family.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. If you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: [email protected].
Let’s Get You Cookin’,
Please Note: We do use referral and affiliate links here for products and services that are recommended.
Leave a Reply