You won’t find an Amazing Instant Pot Apple Cake with Rum Sauce that’s more heavenly than this one, hands down. This recipe for apple coffee cake is quick and easy, making a cake that’s moist, dense, and flat delicious. Make it in just minutes in your Instant Pot!
Amazing Instant Pot Apple Cake with Rum Sauce Recipe
My friends, Craig and Amy Good, of Olsburg, KS shared this recipe with me and it was Craig’s Mother’s recipe…definitely a “keeper recipe” that you’ll make again and again. I converted the original recipe from an oven-baked cake to an Instant Pot cake.
Howdy! Chef Alli Here. Let’s Get You Cookin’….Shall We?? 🙂
Nostalgia meets modern in this Instant Pot dessert recipe. It always surprises me how many people don’t realize that you can make CAKE in an Instant Pot! But here we are.
This Instant Pot Apple Cake comes out oh-so-moist and perfectly flavored with apples, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Because it’s wonderfully rich, your guests will be completely satisfied with a small portion made decadent with a good shot of whipped topping.
3 things to love about this apple cake dessert recipe –
- This may be the most moist and tender cake you’ll ever put in your pea-pickin’ mouth.
- It screams AUTUMN!
- Easy. Fast. Fabulous.
What ingredients do you need to make Instant Pot Apple Cake with Rum Sauce?
- Granulated sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Spices: cinnamon and nutmeg
- Baking soda
- Kosher salt
- English walnuts
Rum Sauce Ingredients
- Dark brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Heavy cream (whipping cream)
- Vanilla extract
- Rum or rum flavoring
Common Questions Asked About this Cake Recipe –
Which tools are helpful for making Instant Pot Cakes?
Well, if you don’t already have a 6-quart Instant Pot (or any brand of electric pressure cooker, for that matter), you’ll need to purchase one. I can’t say enough positive things about cooking in my Instant Pot – talk about a serious time saver!
A 6-cup bundt pan that fits down into your Instant pot. This bundt pan needs to have a hole in the center, which most bundt cake pans definitely will. (The hole lets the steam circulate up into the center of the cake pan so the cake is done all the way through and not soggy in the center.)
I highly recommend getting a silicone pressure cooker bakeware sling for whenever you are using a pan inside your Instant Pot, such as the bundt pan you’re using to make this apple cake. Taking a hot pan out of the Instant Pot is super easy with this tool. And, the bottom of the sling is about 1-inch tall, so it nicely holds the cake pan up off the bottom of the Instant Pot a bit, allowing the steam to circulate so you can “bake” the cake.
Don’t have a silicone bakeware sling on hand? No problem!
If you don’t have a silicone sling, don’t worry. Before I got one, I just created a sling out of heavy duty aluminum foil.
Take a long piece of foil and fold it a few times to make a sturdy 3-inch wide strip. Set your cake pan (that’s filled with cake batter and covered with foil) on top of the foil sling right in the center.
Grabbing the ends of the foil sling, lift the cake up from the counter and then down into the Instant Pot. Keep in mind that if you’re using a foil sling, you’ll need to set a trivet (either metal or silicone) into the bottom of the Instant Pot so the cake pan has something to sit on.
Gently fold each end of the foil sling over the top of the cake pan so it doesn’t interfere with gasket or lid of the Instant Pot when you close it. When your cake is done, simply unfold the foil sling and gently lift the cake out of the Instant Pot to a cooling rack.
Why would you make cake in an Instant Pot anyway? That seems weird.
First of all, the way the Instant Pot (or any brand of electric pressure cooker) cooks is by trapping steam inside the pot, which circulates to make the pressure. The pressure is what cooks foods in the Instant Pot so quickly.
The steam inside the Instant Pot is also what makes any type of cake that you make in it unbelievably moist.
If this cake is already so moist and tender, do I really need to make the sauce?
Don’t you dare skip the rum sauce for this cake. It’s totally worth it, and literally “the icing on the cake”.
More Sweet Treat Recipes to Enjoy –
- Strawberry Lemon-Lava Angel Cakes
- Honey Bun Cake
- Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cakes for Two
- 5-Minute Homemade Instant Pot Applesauce
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pound Cake with Cider Glaze (made in the Instant Pot)
- Berry Good No-Bake Cake
- Easy Chocolate Football Cake
- Chocolate Cream Pie the Easy Way
- Glazed Cherry Coffee Cake
Printable Instant Pot Apple Cake with Rum Sauce Recipe –
Instant Pot Apple Cake with Rum Sauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 cup English walnuts, coarsely chopped
Make the Sauce
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbs. your favorite rum (liquor) if using rum flavoring, use 1-2 teaspoons
Make the Cake
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, cream the sugar with the butter; until nice and fluffy; beat in the egg. Using a spatula or mixing spoon, gently fold in the apples.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients; add this mixture, along with the walnuts, to the butter mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Spread the prepared batter into a well-greased 6-cup bundt pan; cover the bundt pan very tightly with foil. Place 1 cup of water into the bottom of a 6-quart Instant Pot (or any 6-quart electric pressure cooker); add a trivet to the bottom of the pot. Using a foil or silicone sling, lower the covered bundt pan into the pot, placing it on top of the trivet.
- Lock the Instant Pot lid into place; set the timer for 30 minutes on the High Pressure setting, bringing the Instant Pot to full pressure. When the timer sounds, perform a natural release for 10 minutes, then a quick release if any pressure remains in the Instant Pot. Carefully remove the Instant Pot lid, then using the sling, gently lift the bundt pan from the Instant Pot. Place the cake onto a cooling rack. Let the cake cool completely, keeping it covered with the foil as it cools.
- When the cake has totally cooled, use a butter knife to loosen it from all sides, then invert a platter over the top of the bundt pan; flip the platter and the cake over in one quick movement. Now, lift the bundt pan up, leaving the cake on the platter.
- To serve, slice the cake, placing each slice onto a dessert plate; drizzle with the warm rum sauce, then top with whipped cream. Enjoy!
Make the Sauce
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by placing all the ingredients, except the rum, into a small saucepan over low heat; simmer for 25-30 minutes or until nicely thickened. Remove the sauce from heat and stir in the rum.
Thanks for visiting! I hope you return soon for more yummy recipes for your family.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. If you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: [email protected].
Let’s Get You Cookin’,
Please Note: We do use referral and affiliate links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends. I may receive a small compensation when you use these links. This really helps me keep my recipe blog moving forward. Thank you so much!