You won’t find an Instant Pot Apple Cake that’s more heavenly: All the wonderful flavors & nostalgia of a well-loved family recipe with Instant Pot ease! My friends, Craig and Amy Good, of Olsburg, KS shared this recipe with me and it was Craig’s Mother’s recipe…definitely a keeper. #familyrecipes #instantpotcake #instantpot #apple #rumsauce
Nostalgia meets modern in this amazing Instant Pot recipe. It always surprises me how many people don’t realize that you can make CAKE in an Instant Pot! But here we are. This Instant Pot Apple Cake comes out moist and perfectly flavored with apples, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Because it’s wonderfully rich, your guests will be completely satisfied with a small portion made decadent with a good shot of whipped topping.
Please note: We do use referral links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends!
First of all, the way the Instant Pot/Electric Pressure cooks is by trapping steam inside the pot, which in turn pumps your cakes full of moisture and enhances all of those wonderful flavors. But the Instant Pot is also convenient when you are using the oven for something else! For example, when I’m making a sheet pan dinner I can easily whip up this apple cake in the Instant Pot at the same time. I don’t have to take turns or combine dishes in the oven.
The size of your Instant Pot will determine the size of the pan you need. A 6-quart Instant Pot (or any 6 quart electric pressure cooker) will need a 6 cup bundt or tube pan, which will likely look really small to you. Don’t worry! Any cake made in the Instant Pot is super moist (due to being “baked” with steam) and your guests will be thrilled with small wedge since it’s so rich and decadent.
I highly recommend getting a Silicone Pressure Cooker Bakeware Sling for whenever you are using a pan inside your Instant Pot. Taking a hot pan out of the pot is slick and easy with this sucker, and it holds the baking dish off of the bottom so the steam can circulate to “bake” your cake.
No Sling, No Problem:
If you don’t have a silicone sling, don’t worry! Before I got one, I just created a sling out of heavy duty aluminum foil. Take a long piece of foil and fold it a few times to make a 3-inch wide strip. Set your cake pan on top of the foil sling right in the center. Wrap the foil sling over the top of your cake pan and lower gently into your pressure cooker pot. IT WILL NEED TO SIT ON TOP OF YOUR TRIVET! (Remember? Circulating steam!) Gently fold the “handles” of your sling over your baking dish so it doesn’t interfere with gasket or lid. When your cake is done, simply unfold your “handle” and gently pull your cake out! No burned fingers required.
Printable Directions for Making Instant Pot Apple Cake with Rum Sauce
Instant Pot Apple Cake with Rum Sauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 cup English walnuts, coarsely chopped
Make the Sauce
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbs. rum
Make the Cake
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the sugar with the butter; when this mixture is nice and fluffy, beat in the egg; stir in the apples.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients; add this mixture, along with the walnuts, to the butter mixture.
- Spread the prepared batter into a well-greased 6-cup (7-inch) bundt pan; cover pan tightly with foil. Place 1 cup water into the bottom of a 6-quart Instant Pot (or any 6-quart electric pressure cooker); add a trivet to the bottom of the pot. Using a foil or silicone sling, lower the covered bundt pan into the pot, placing it on top of the trivet.
- Lock the Instant Pot lid into place; set the timer for 30 minutes on the High Pressure setting, bringing the Instant Pot to full pressure. When the timer sounds, perform a natural release for 10 minutes, then a quick release if any pressure remains in the Instant Pot. Remove the Instant Pot lid, then using the sling, gently lift the bundt pan from the pot.
- Place the cake onto a cooling rack., still in the pan. Let the cake cool completely, keeping it covered with the foil as it cools.
- When the cake has totally cooled, use a butter knife to loosen it from all sides, then place a platter over the top of the bundt pan; flip the platter and the cake over in one quick movement, then lift the bundt pan up off the cake.
- To serve, slice the cake, placing each slice onto a dessert plate; drizzle with the warm rum sauce, then top with whipped cream. Enjoy!
Make the Sauce
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by placing all the ingredients, except the rum, into a small saucepan over low heat; simmer for 25-30 minutes or until nicely thickened. Remove sauce from heat and stir in the rum.
Other Sweet Treat Recipes to Enjoy –
- Strawberry Lemon-Lava Angel Cakes
- Honey Bun Cake
- Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cakes for Two
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pound Cake with Cider Glaze
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
- Berry Good No-Bake Cake
- Easy Chocolate Football Cake
- Chocolate Cream Pie the Easy Way
- How to Make Tender and Moist White Cake
- Glazed Cherry Coffee Cake
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. And, if you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: [email protected]