Please Note: We do use referral links for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends.
Howdy! Chef Alli Here. Let’s Get You Cookin’…Shall We?? 🙂
If I’ve heard it once, I’ve heard it at least 100 times: “I do NOT like sauerkraut.” It seems there’s no in between – you either love it or you hate it. But actually, what I’ve come to know is that when people say they don’t like sauerkraut, it’s because they’ve never had sauerkraut that’s seasoned and cooked properly! NOBODY likes limp, soggy sauerkraut and it certainly wasn’t intended to be served as such.
Try the technique laid out in the recipe (below) to get perfectly seasoned and cooked sauerkraut that is absolutely delicious. This step makes ALL the difference in how you experience sauerkraut!
What Ingredients Will I Need to Make Tortilla Brat Wraps??
You can use any type of preferred brat in this recipe, as long as it’s pre-cooked before using it to create the brat wrap. That said, you can purchase raw brats and cook them yourself in the method of your preference, OR you can do like I like to do and purchase fully-cooked brats that can simply and quickly be grilled for a nice crisp and brown exterior (while also fully heating the interior) of each brat as it cooks.
Sugar, Salt, Red Pepper Flakes
Mustard and Shredded Swiss Cheese
Easy and Helpful Recipe Tips for Making Tortilla Brat Wraps
Can I make these wraps with corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas?
That’s a good question. You could definitely do so, but I’ve never tried it and I’m not totally sure that it would taste good. I’d brown the corn tortillas a bit first. However, if you need a gluten-free option, that’s definitely a route you could go.
I’ve never heard of adding sugar to sauerkraut. This seems odd. What’s the purpose of the sugar?
I’m glad you asked! I know this seems a bit odd, but sauerkraut that’s packed in vinegar (and many of them are) they can be rather acidic, even once it’s rinsed. The sugar cuts the acidity, making the sauerkraut more mellow. The addition of the red pepper flakes and salt, rounds out the sauerkraut – totally delicious!
How do I know when my sauerkraut is fully cooked and ready?
When there’s no moisture in the bottom of your pan and the sauerkraut actually appears almost “dried out”. Give it a taste test to see – that’s the best way, I’ve discovered. If there’s a lot of moisture content when you chew, you’ll need to cook it a bit longer. Any juices left in the pan can make the brat wrap seem soggy, also making them hard to eat!
More Favorite Recipes to Enjoy –
Printable Directions for Making Tortilla Brat Wraps with Sauerkraut, Swiss Cheese and Mustard
Tortilla Brat Wraps
- 4 fully cooked brats, such as Johnsonville Precooked Stadium Brats, grilled and split in half lengthwise
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1-2 tsp. canola oil
- 14 oz. can or jar of sauerkraut, we prefer Hoganville Family Farms Sauerkraut, drained (no need to rinse since it's packed in water, no vinegar added)
- 2 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 flour tortillas, 6" or 8" in size, warm
- 1/2 cup your favorite mustard, for drizzling over the brats, we prefer Sarah Jane's Jalapeno Mustard
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese, for garnishing each wrap
- In a large saute pan, sauté onions in oil over medium heat until softened and translucent, approx. 15-20 minutes; stir in the drained sauerkraut, sugar, salt, and red pepper flakes and combine. Cook the sauerkraut mixture until all the moisture has cooked out of the ingredients in the saute pan.
- Divide the warm prepared sauerkraut mixture into fourths, placing each fourth down the center of each flour tortilla. Place two grilled brat halves on top of sauerkraut; drizzle a bit of mustard over the brats, then top with shredded Swiss. Fold up brat wraps as best you can and dig in.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. And, if you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email any time: [email protected]