I’ve made this Ice Cream Sandwich Cake hundreds of times – my family goes crazy for it! It’s fun to make, fun to slice, and fun to eat. I’ve used all kinds of ice cream sandwiches, too – mint, chocolate chip, and Neapolitan.
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Recipe
Howdy. Chef Alli here. Let’s Get You Cookin’ ….Shall We?? 🙂
What Ingredients Will You Need to Make an Ice Cream Sandwich Cake?
Ice cream sandwich bars
Fudge ice cream topping, chocolate sandwich cookies, whipped topping, chocolate instant pudding
Plain chocolate candy bar
Easy Recipe Tips for Making an Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
Can I use sugar-free items to make this ice cream cake?
Great question and I do so often….nobody has ever noticed! I use sugar-free chocolate pudding and low fat whipped topping almost every time I make this cake and it’s absolutely delicious.
Can this cake be customized?
You can choose any flavor of ice cream sandwich, cookies, and pudding to customize and change things up a bit with this recipe. And you can top it however you like! Crushed heath bars, strawberry ice cream, chocolate chips and strawberries, the sky is the limit!
Why does this cake need to freeze for at least 8 hours before serving?
Before you can slice it into pretty pieces, this cake needs to frozen very solid. Otherwise, the ice cream sandwiches mush down and when you slice the cake, it gets really messy. #BeenThereDoneThat 🙂
What kind of a knife if best for slicing this ice cream cake?
I always use a knife that’s got a wide blade that’s nice and long. This way I can use both the handle and the tip of the blade (that protrudes on the other side of the cake when slicing) to press down through the layers.
Are there any helpful tips for making slicing this cake easier?
Letting it rest at room temperature for a few minutes before slicing definitely helps to make it easier to slice. Also, sometimes I place the blade of my knife into a tall glass of hot water. The warm knife blade slices through the cake easier that way. Also, wipe off your knife blade each time you slice a piece of ice cream sandwich cake – this helps each slice to look really pretty.
What’s an easy way to make the chocolate curls for the top of the cake when using a chocolate bar?
Use your potato peeler to peel shavings from the sides of the chocolate bar. You won’t believe how great it works and how easy it is until you try it.
More Favorite Ice Cream Recipes You’ll Enjoy –
Printable Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Recipe
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- 12 ice cream sandwiches, unwrapped
- ½ cup fudge ice cream topping, warmed
- 16 oz. frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided use
- 1 pkg. chocolate instant pudding, 3.4 oz.
- 8 - 10 chocolate sandwich cookies
- 1 Hershey’s Chocolate Bar, for garnishing
- Pour the warm fudge topping into a large mixing bowl; add 8 oz. whipped topping and whisk until mixture is well blended. Add the dry pudding mix; stir until smooth and thick. (If mixture is too thick to spread easily, stir in a bit of milk.)
- Place cookies into a gallon bag and crush well with a mallet or process until finely ground in a food processor; stir into the prepared pudding mixture.
- Place 4 of the ice cream sandwiches side by side onto a serving platter; top with half of prepared pudding mixture. Repeat the layers once more, ending with the 4 remaining ice cream sandwiches on top.
- Frost the cake with the remaining 8 oz. of whipped topping. Using your peeler, peel curls of chocolate from the chocolate bar over the cake and platter, as desired. If you don’t happen to have a chocolate bar handy, you can also garnish your cake with mini chocolate chips, crushed sandwich cookies, or a favorite crushed candy bar.
- Place the prepared ice cream sandwich cake into the freezer and freeze at least 8 hours before serving.
- To serve, let the ice cream sandwich cake stand at room temperature for a few minutes to soften slightly before serving; cut through the layers into fat slices. Store leftover cake in the freezer.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. If you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: [email protected].
LET’S GET YOU COOKIN’,