Chicken tacos…yum. And even better, 6 Ingredient Baked Chicken Tacos! Whether you like to start chicken tacos in your crockpot or your Instant Pot to get that juicy shredded chicken as a foundation, you will find this chicken tacos recipe to be an easy dinner idea.
6 Ingredient Baked Chicken Tacos Recipe
If you follow me here, you know my family loves all things TACOS and all things MEXICAN or TEX MEX. I think that most people here in the central Midwest (the heartland!) feel the same way.
From chicken taco bowls to chicken taco salad, to Sheet Pan Baked Beef Tacos and Oven-Baked Taco Quesadillas, it seems we can never get enough!
Last week, since it’s so hot here in Kansas right now, I opted to make Baja Fish Tacos as lighter fare for a meal…and what a hit they were. I paired the tacos with this Healthy Mexican Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing.
And if you’re looking for an enchilada casserole that’s just a bit different than all the rest, please try out Betty’s Enchilada Bake…another new recipe that’s been around our house forever, but new to my blog. Yep – there are hard-boiled eggs as part of the beef filling! It’s completely delicious.
3 reasons to love this recipe –
- Baking the filled tacos gives them a whole new flavor profile.
- Setting the tacos into the pan for baking holds them upright for adding the filling – so easy!
- The work is all done for you fam – all they have to do is pick up a taco and chow down.
What ingredients do you need to make Baked Chicken Tacos? Just 6!!
- Chicken thighs or chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- Your favorite taco seasoning
- Cream cheese
- Diced tomatoes and green chilies
- Black beans
- Taco shells
How to Make Baked Chicken Tacos in 5 Easy Steps –
- In a skillet, combine the cooked chicken with cream cheese, diced tomatoes and green chilies, and the black beans, cooking over medium heat until warmed throughout.
- Place the taco shells into a casserole dish or a cast iron skillet (that’s what I use) upright – it’s easiest to use the flat-bottom taco shells for this, btw.
- Add the prepared chicken filling to the taco shells, sprinkle cheese over the top, if desired.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 10-15 minutes or until hot throughout.
- Serve at once with additional taco toppings, such as sour cream, salsa, guacamole, etc, if desired.
Will these tacos still taste good if I don’t add the black beans?
Yep! If you’ve go picky eaters that aren’t bean fans, you can opt out of beans just fine. I like using them for the added fiber, and also because it helps my chicken filling go further!
Can I use a different type of beans in the chicken filling….like pinto beans or chili beans?
Yes. I’ve used chili beans lots of times in this recipe in place of the black beans. Use whatever you have in your pantry and don’t stress.
Could I use a rotisserie chicken for making Baked Chicken Tacos?
Absolutely! A rotisserie chicken in a girl’s best friend – it makes getting dinner on the table faster and easier. When I use rotisserie chicken for this meal, I usually go ahead and pull all the cooked chicken from the carcass for the filling.
What about other cooked, shredded meats for making baked tacos?
I’ve used cooked, shredded pork (like pulled pork) in this recipe many times – super delish! Shredded beef (say from a roast you’ve cooked and want to use the leftovers) would also be yummy for a pan of tacos.
Are there taco shells that work better than others for this Mexican taco meal?
I’ve started using the taco shells that have the flat bottom since this helps them stand up better in the pan. They are also easier to fill! I also find that the taco shells with the flat bottom seem to be a thicker, sturdier shell that stays crispy better as the tacos bake. I think the brand I use is Old El Paso. Use your favorite!
What toppings are good on Baked Chicken Tacos?
My family is pretty basic, so we typically have sour cream, shredded cheese, guacamole, sliced olives (sometimes), salsa or salsa fresca, and chopped lettuce. The sky is the limit!
More Favorite Recipes Your Fam Will Enjoy –
- Korean Pulled Pork Tacos
- BETTY’S EASY ENCHILADA BAKE
- LOCO BURRITOS GRANDE MADE WITH GROUND BEEF
- SECRET INGREDIENT PITCHER MARGARITAS
- REFRESHING SKINNY PITCHER MARGARITAS
- AIR FRYER PULLED PORK NACHOS
- BLACK BEAN AND CORN SALAD WITH JICAMA
6 Ingredient Baked Chicken Tacos
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs cooked and shredded
- 2 Tbs. your favorite taco seasoning divided use
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 10 oz. can diced tomatoes and green chilies well drained
- 15 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 10 taco shells I like the stand-up type, Old El Paso brand, since they are very sturdy
- Your favorite taco toppings as desired, such as shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes, sour cream, salsa, etc.
How to Make the Chicken Filling in the Instant Pot (or any electric pressure cooker)
- Place 1 cup chicken broth into the Instant Pot; use the sauté setting to bring the broth to a boil. Add the chicken thighs to the broth, sprinkling the chicken with 1 Tbs. taco seasoning. Lock the Instant Pot lid into place, setting the valve to the seal setting. Using the high pressure setting, set the timer for 8 minutes bringing the Instant Pot to full pressure. When the timer sounds, use a natural release for at least 10 minutes (longer if you have time…). If any pressure remains after 10 minutes, perform a quick release to remove the pressure from the Instant Pot. **Please note: if you are cooking frozen chicken thighs, increase the pressure cooking time to 12-14 minutes, using the same natural release following the cooking time.
- Carefully unlock and remove the Instant Pot. Drain the broth from the chicken breasts to a bowl. Using two forks, shred the chicken. Using the sauté setting again, stir in the softened cream cheese, gently stirring the chicken mixture until the cream cheese has melted and is incorporated nicely. Now stir in the diced tomatoes and green chilies and black beans.
How to Make the Chicken Filling on the Stove
- Place the chicken breasts into a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven; sprinkle with 1 Tbs. taco seasoning, then pour chicken broth around the edge of the Dutch oven, covering the chicken by about 1 inch. Over medium high heat, bring the broth to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium just so the broth is simmering, partially covering the pot with the lid. Let the chicken simmer until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. and is fork-tender, approx. 12-16 minutes. Remove the pot of chicken from the burner, leaving it fully covered; let the chicken rest for 10 minutes. Drain the chicken, then use two forks to shred it; add the softened cream cheese to the chicken. Gently stir the chicken mixture until the cream cheese is fully melted and incorporated into the shredded chicken; stir in the diced tomatoes and green chilies and black beans.
Assemble and Bake the Chicken Tacos
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Using your favorite cookie scoop, place the warm chicken mixture into the shells, setting each taco into a lightly greased 9 x 13 pan; top with a bit of shredded cheese. Bake, on the center oven rack, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken filling is nicely hot throughout and the taco shells are golden brown.Serve at once with your favorite taco toppings.
Thanks for visiting! I hope you return soon for more yummy recipes for your family.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. If you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: [email protected].
Let’s Get You Cookin’,
Please Note: We do use referral and affiliate links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends. I may receive a small compensation when you use these links. This really helps me keep my recipe blog moving forward. Thank you so much!