Yep. Butter boards are all the rage….as they should be! There is absolutely nothing as fast, easy, and down right delicious as a butter board. This Butter Board with Spreadable Cheese and Jam is perfect for any type of entertaining or gathering.
How to Make A Butter Board with Spreadable Cheeses and Jam Recipe
Howdy! Chef Alli Here. Let’s Get You Cookin’…. Shall We?? 🙂
Not so long ago, all the rage was charcuterie boards. They were everywhere and, in my opinion, will continue to be so due to their ease and popularity. After all, who will ever tire of cured and smoked meats, assorted cheeses, nuts, pickles, mustards, fruits, crackers and the like??
So what IS a butter board, then?
A butter board is exactly that: a large board (or platter) slathered with a copious amount of swirled whipped butter and spreadable cheeses, topped with tasty seasoning blends, berries, thinly sliced veggies, citrus zest, fresh herbs, and jams and sauces. It’s all served up with an assortment of breads, crostini, bagels, pretzels and crackers.
Bottom line: a butter board is meant for swirling, scooping and spreading. Heavenly!
What to love about butter boards
- Who doesn’t love bread and butter?????
- The ingredient combinations are absolutely endless and they don’t need to be fancy, either.
- Customize! Butter boards are meant to created with what you’ve got on hand. If you’ve only got butter, jam and bread, who cares? It will still be super fun and fantastic.
- No cooking is involved – you can make a butter board in just minutes.
Ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe
- Alouette Garlic and Herbs Spreadable Cheese (found in the specialty cheese area, typically)
- Unsalted Butter
- Seasoned salt
- Jams, such as apricot, cherry, or plum
- Pomegranate aerials
- Fresh rosemary and chives
- Assorted breads for serving, such as pretzel bread, sliced baguettes, mini bagels, crackers, etc.
How to make a butter board –
- Whip the butter until soft and fluffy; season to taste with seasoned salt or even just salt and pepper…whichever you prefer. The butter should be whipped enough so that it’s very easy to spread out.
- Plop the butter onto your favorite charcuterie board or large platter; spread it out over the center of the board until it’s about 1/2-inch in thickness, then use a spoon or spreader to swirl it about and make it look pretty.
- Surround the butter with the spreadable cheese (the Alouette), butting them against each other.
- Spoon small dollops of the jams over the top of the butter and cheeses, then sprinkle with pistachios and pomegranate arils. Garnish with chopped fresh rosemary and chives.
- Add the assorted breads and serve!
Which tools are helpful for making butter boards?
I have a small, elongated charcuterie board that works perfectly for making a small butter board for 2-3 friends.
My favorite board for charcuterie and butter boards is the one that my husband purchased for me – it’s a cool dark walnut board with a live edge that we found at at Amish store on our way to the Ozarks – I love it! It’s similar to this type.
I love my Bosch mixer! Making whipped butter takes like 30 seconds on low speed….not even kidding. (It’s so powerful I swear I could even use it for cement mix.) I also use my Bosch mixer on almost a weekly basis for making cinnamon rolls….and more cinnamon rolls…..and more cinnamon rolls!
For removing the whipped butter from the mixing bowl, use my all-time favorite kitchen tool: a silicone spatula. I have tons of silicone spatulas and spatula spoons in my kitchen in all different sizes – they work waaaaay better than a metal or wooden spoon, for sure.
Butter Board Ideas –
Everything Bagel – A generous coating of Everything Bagel seasoning blend, thinly sliced red onions, capers.
Sweet and Spicy – Chili flakes, kosher salt, fresh lime zest, agave nectar.
Garlic – Whole roasted garlic cloves, chopped Italian parsley, lemon, kosher salt.
Pesto – Pepitas, minced fresh garlic, chopped fresh basil, finely grated fresh Parmesan.
Caramelized Onion – Feta, caramelized onions, fresh lemon zest.
Sundried Tomato – Mozzarella, fresh basil leaves, chopped sun dried tomatoes
BLT – Chopped cooked bacon, sliced grape tomatoes, chopped lettuce
Dark Chocolate – Dark chocolate shavings, chopped pistachios, kosher salt, fresh raspberries.
Milk and Cookies – Buttercream frosting as the base, mini chocolate chips, sprinkles, and vanilla wafers for dippers….served with a cold glass of milk!
Cinnamon Honey – Fresh cinnamon, warm honey, fresh mint leaves.
Why are butter boards so popular?
Just like charcuterie boards, butter boards are fun and engaging – such a great way to entertain guests. And, like I said earlier in this post, tell me who in the world doesn’t adore bread and butter???
I think charcuterie boards (which are essentially glorified meat and cheese trays, right?) and butter boards take common ingredients and elevate them in an interactive way that makes guests feel super comfortable.
Are butter boards safe?
If you’re worried about everyone communally dipping their bread (and potentially their fingertips) into the butter board, simply lay out some small plates or dipping bowls with butter knives or spoons so guests can portion out what they want. This type of set up (using plates and serving utensils) also discourages double dipping.
More butter board variations –
- Honey Walnut Butter Board with Cinnamon Raisin Bread
- Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese Butter Board with Bagels
More Favorite Appetizer Recipes
- TACO MEAT PARTY PINWHEELS
- ITALIAN HOAGIE DIP
- HOW TO MAKE A GROCERY STORE CHARCUTERIE BOARD
- ZESTY SHRIMP SALSA
- TOMATO CROSTINI
Printable Butter Board with Spreadable Cheeses and Jam Recipe
Butter Board with Spreadable Cheeses and Jam
- 2 tubs Alouette Garlic and Herbs Spreadable Cheese, 6.5 oz. each
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, nicely softened
- 1/2 – 1 tsp seasoned salt, to taste
- 1/3 cup apricot jam
- 1/3 cup plum, raspberry or cherry jam
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 1/4 cup Pomegranate arils
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh rosemary
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh chives
- Assorted breads, for serving, such as pretzel bread, sliced baguettes, mini bagels,
- Using an electric mixer, whip the butter with the seasoned salt, just until soft and fluffy; season to taste. **This takes approx. 1-2 minutes, depending on the power of your mixer.
- Using your favorite large charcuterie board or platter, spread the seasoned butter down the center, about 1/2-inch thick, using a spoon or spreader to swirl it out and about as you go.
- Do the same with the Alouette cheese, spreading it on either side of the butter on the charcuterie board.
- Next, using a spoon, place small dollops of both of the jams randomly over the top of the butter and spreadable cheese; sprinkle with pistachios and pomegranate arils. Garnish with chopped rosemary and chives.
- Arrange the assorted breads around the edge of the charcuterie board or platter and serve at once. Or, if desired, place the assorted breads separately next to the butter board.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. If you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: [email protected]
Let’s Get You Cookin’,
Please Note: We do use referral and affiliate links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer here