Are you looking for a ham and eggs recipe that’s just a bit different than the norm? You’ve arrived! Easy Baked Ham and Egg Cups can be made as an easy grab-and-go breakfast for busy mornings, or served as a unique egg dish for a brunch.
Easy Baked Ham and Egg Cups Recipe
Howdy! Chef Alli Here. Let’s Get You Cookin’…. Shall We?? 🙂
We are huge breakfast eaters. So much so, that we eat breakfast for dinner A LOT. Baked Ham and Egg Cups are no exception – I’ve made this recipe for dinner many times, and it’s one of our very favorite muffin tin recipes.
My sons especially love any breakfast recipe that includes GRAVY. Sausage, Egg, and Biscuit Casserole with Creamy Gravy is a big favorite, so I make this casserole on repeat, at least a couple of times each month.
Since I’m a fan of overnight casseroles that can be assembled ahead and baked later, I also make Jan’s Overnight Sausage, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole very often, too.
What to love about this deli ham recipe –
1. These ham and egg cups are super handy for busy mornings when you need a hand-held breakfast that transports well.
2. Deli ham is used in this recipe to form the “cup” that each egg bakes in. Pretty cool.
3. Who doesn’t love ham and eggs???
Ingredients you need to make this recipe –
- Sour cream
- Fresh or dried tarragon
- Black Forest ham
- Sour cream and scallions, for garnishing, if desired
How to make this ham and eggs recipe in 5 easy steps –
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a large skillet, saute the scallions and mushrooms in butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are softened. Remove the pan from the heat; stir in the tarragon and sour cream; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Gently press a slice of deli ham into each of the 12 (oiled) muffin cups, allowing the ham edges to be raised a bit above the muffin cup. Make sure that there are no tears made in the ham as you press it into the cups!
- Divide the prepared mushroom mixture between each cup, spooning it into the ham that you’ve pressed into each one. Now, crack an egg into each cup, on top of the mushroom mixture.
- Bake the egg cups, uncovered, on the center rack of the preheated oven, for 12-14 minutes, or until the egg whites are cooked, but the yolks are still soft, or to the desired doneness that you prefer.
- Let the baked ham and egg cups rest for 2-3 minutes, then use a butter knife to loosen each one around the edges of the muffin tin cups. Carefully lift the ham and egg cups from the muffin tin, placing onto a cooling rack or platter. Garnish the ham and egg cups with sour cream and sliced scallions, as desired. Serve at once!
Common Questions Asked About This Recipe
Which tools are helpful for making ham and egg cups?
Muffin tin – a good heavy-duty muffin tin is always a plus for baking since it cooks evenly and promotes browning. Always hand-wash your muffin tins and baking sheets to protect their finish – no dishwasher!
Kitchen shears – a handy pair of kitchen shears get used in my kitchen all the time. Especially for cutting scallions since you can do the whole bundle at once (always starting at the green ends) or just a few.
Skillet – I love my 12-inch Lodge cast iron skillet. Cast iron heats up slowly, making it cook very evenly and hold the heat well so it provides superior browning. And, I love how inexpensive cast iron is.
Can I use any type of deli ham for lining the muffin cups?
Yep! We love the flavor of Black Forest ham, but any type of deli ham will work.
If my ham slices are too thin, can I double them up before pressing them into the muffin tin cups?
Yes….I’ve had to do that before and it works just perfectly.
I’m not familiar with tarragon – is that a fresh herb?
Tarragon is a rather unique herb, for sure; it is quite aromatic and offers the subtle flavor of licorice! It adds a fresh taste to a variety of recipes such as egg recipes like this one.
I’ve made these ham and egg cups before without the tarragon and I was surprised at how differently they tasted. The ham and eggs cups were still very good, but the tarragon definitely compliments the mushrooms!
If you cannot find fresh tarragon at the grocery store, feel free to use dried tarragon.
Easy Recipe Tips for Ham and Egg Cups
1. The main thing to remember on this recipe is just to make sure you don’t puncture the slice of ham that you press down into each muffin cup. I learned this the HARD way – rats! If you puncture the ham, your egg can run out the bottom and there goes how pretty your Ham and Egg Cup looks. Be gentle. 🙂
2. What should you serve alongside these Ham and Egg Cups? I’d suggest these Easy Orange Breakfast Crescents or a big pan of Caramel Apple French Toast Bake – either will make your guests very happy campers.
Need More Breakfast Recipes? Here you go –
Cowboy Breakfast Bites: Mini Bagels Topped with a Creamy Egg Mixture (then baked until golden brown and oozing!)
Easy Orange Breakfast Crescents: Crescent Roll Dough Wrapped Around a Light and Fresh Orange Cream Filling
Wake-Up Sausage and Egg Breakfast Bake – A yummy breakfast strata like this one, made with cooked sausage, eggs, and melted cheese makes a fast morning meal. Just add some fresh fruit on the side.
How to Make Jumbo Cinnamon Rolls…The Easy Way! – A learn a completely new cut-and-roll technique making your favorite sweet treat.
Printable Baked Ham and Egg Cups Recipe
Easy Baked Ham and Egg Cups
- 3 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup sliced scallions, green and white parts both
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2-3 Tbs.` sour cream
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh tarragon (or substitute 1/2 tsp. dried tarragon)
- 12 slices Black Forest ham
- 12 large eggs
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- sour cream and sliced scallions, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large sauté pan or skillet, sauté scallions and mushrooms in butter over medium heat; stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender and softened, approx. 8-10 minutes. Remove the pan from heat; stir in the tarragon and sour cream; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Gently press one slice of ham into each of the 12 (oiled) muffin cups, allowing the edges of each ham slice to protrude slightly above each muffin tin cup. Divide prepared mushroom mixture among the ham cups, then crack one egg on top of the mushroom mixture into each cup.
- Bake, uncovered, on the middle rack of the preheated oven until whites are cooked but yolks are still soft, approx. 12-14 minutes, or to desired doneness; remove from oven.
- Let the ham and egg cups rest for a couple minutes, then use a butter knife to loosen each cup from the muffin tin edges; carefully lift the ham and egg cups from the muffin tin, placing them onto a cooling rack. To serve, garnish each ham and egg cup with a dollop of sour cream and sliced scallions, as desired. Serve at once.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. If you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: [email protected].
Let’s Get You Cookin’,
Please Note: We do use referral and affiliate links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer here