Tarragon has a very unique flavor and it’s a spice that I rarely use. But one time, after making these Baked Ham and Eggs Cups without the tarragon, I very quickly realized what an important role it plays in rounding out the flavors of the mushrooms, eggs and ham – holy moly! I was also amazed at how well the dried tarragon spice (I couldn’t find fresh tarragon anywhere) actually works in this brunch recipe. These also make a great grab-and-go breakfast.
Please Note: We do use referral links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends!
If you’re looking for something special for an upcoming brunch or holiday gathering – you’ve come to just the right recipe, right here. These Baked Ham and Egg Cups look super fancy, but truth be told, they are a cake-walk to make. And, the main tool you’ll need?? Just a basic non-stick cupcake/muffin pan – how great is that??
Easy Recipe Tips for Ham and Egg Cups:
1. The main thing to remember on this recipe is just to make sure you don’t puncture the slice of ham that you press down into each muffin cup. I learned this the HARD way – rats! If you puncture the ham, your egg can run out the bottom and there goes how pretty your Ham and Egg Cup looks. Be gentle. 🙂
2. You can use any type of sliced ham – it’s doesn’t have to be Black Forest Ham. I have found that deli ham that’s pre-packaged is usually too thin for these Ham and Egg Cups. Have your ham sliced by the guy at the deli meat counter – not too thick or it won’t stay in the cups, and not to thin or it’s too fragile.
3. What should you serve alongside these Ham and Egg Cups? I’d suggest these Easy Orange Breakfast Crescents or a big pan of Caramel Apple French Toast Bake – either will make your guests some very happy campers.
Baked Ham and Egg Cups
- 3 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup sliced scallions, green and white parts both
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2-3 Tbs.` sour cream
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh tarragon (or substitute 1/2 tsp. dried tarragon)
- 12 slices Black Forest Ham
- 12 large eggs
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- sour cream and sliced scallions, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large sauté pan, sauté scallions and mushrooms in butter over medium heat; stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender and scallions are softened, approx. 8-10 minutes. Remove pan from heat and stir in minced tarragon and sour cream; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fit one slice of ham into each of 12 (oiled) muffin cups, allowing ham edges to protrude above each muffin cup. Divide prepared mushroom mixture among ham cups, then crack one egg on top of the mushroom mixture into each cup.
- Bake, uncovered, on the middle rack of the preheated oven until whites are cooked but yolks are still soft, approx. 12-14 minutes, or to desired doneness.
- Let ham and egg cups rest for a couple minutes, then use a knife to loosen each cup from the muffin tin edges; carefully lift ham and egg cups from muffin tin, placing them onto a cooling rack. To serve, garnish each ham and egg cup with a dollop of sour cream and sliced scallions. Serve at once.
Need a couple of good breakfast dishes to go along with these Ham and Egg Cups? Here you go:
Cowboy Breakfast Bites: Mini Bagels Topped with a Creamy Egg Mixture (then baked until golden brown and oozing!)
Easy Orange Breakfast Crescents: Crescent Roll Dough Wrapped Around a Light and Fresh Orange Cream Filling
Let’s Get Cookin’,
Please feel free to leave us a comment – we love hearing from our readers and followers! If you don’t hear back from us here, it may be that we didn’t see your comment. Reach out to us anytime by email: ChefAlli@ChefAlli.com