The first thing my mom let me make as a kid were these Russian Tea Cakes. I remember standing on a chair at the counter beside her when I was four or five years old as she showed me how to mix these little tea cakes up and bake them. I loved rolling them in the powdered sugar almost as much as I enjoyed eating them.
Mom’s Russian Tea Cakes Recipe
Please note: We do use referral links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends.
Howdy! Chef Alli Here. Let’s Get You Cookin’…..Shall We??? 🙂
If you’re not familiar with Russian Tea Cakes, don’t be misled by the title. You will love how these little puffs of sweetness are a delightful little cookie, rolled in powdered sugar and perfect for your Christmas dessert table. They’re also so easy to make that even the smallest of helpers can take part!
Simply Sweet Tea Cakes
The keyword for this recipe is “sweet”! You mix these sweet cookies up with honey and powdered sugar, then roll them in more powdered sugar for that soft, snowy look you will love. To make them, simply roll a one inch ball of dough using a cookie scoop. Bake for a few minutes, then roll them in powdered sugar while they’re still warm. The recipe SHOULD make 12-15 tea cakes… depending on how many samples you and your little helpers snuck in. Enjoy the sweet memories!
Other Sweet Treats to Enjoy –
- Easy Baked Cinnamon-Sugar Donuts
- Andes Mint Chocolate Swirl Cookies
- Butterscotch Cowboy Cookies
- Peanut Butter Polka Dot Bars
- Sturdy Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing
- Cinnamon Sugar Bear Paws
- Granny Grandma’s Old Fashioned Cookies
Printable Russian Tea Cakes Recipe –
Mom’s Russian Tea Cakes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbs. honey
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbs. flour
- more powdered sugar for rolling the tea cakes in, before and after baking
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the margarine and powdered sugar with the honey, salt, and vanilla. Stir in the flour, working until the ingredients come together to make a soft dough.
- Portion the dough into 1” balls, rolling each one in powdered sugar and placing them onto a greased cookie sheet, about 2” apart.
- Bake tea cakes, uncovered, on the center oven rack for 12-14 minutes, until the bottom of each tea cake is nicely browned.
- Remove the tea cakes from the oven, letting them rest on the baking sheet for a few minutes; roll each tea cake in powdered sugar once more while still warm, then place them onto a cooling rack until fully cooked.
- Store tea cakes in an airtight container for up to a week, or freeze for up to 6 months. Dough freezes well, too.
- Makes 12-15 tea cakes, depending on the size of the balls....and how much of the dough you “sample”.
Please feel free to leave us a comment – we love hearing from our readers and followers! If you don’t hear back from us here, just know we may have somehow missed your comment or question. Do reach out to us by email: [email protected] We will get right back to you.