Just wait until you try Instant Pot Old-Fashioned Ham and Bean Soup! Talk about crazy delicious, especially when the temperature drops outside and the snow is a blowin’. Serve these up with your favorite cornbread muffins to complete the meal.
Please Note: We do use referral and affiliate links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends.
For whatever reason, we didn’t grow up eating Ham and Beans.
For that matter, I don’t remember eating any beans during my childhood, except the canned chili beans that my Mom added to her chili.
And, I sure didn’t know that beans cooked from dry could be so delicious when cooked under pressure. The best part? As long as you use a Natural Release (instead of a Quick Release) after you’ve cooked the beans in your Instant Pot, you don’t even need to SOAK them….woot! woot!
I’ve been pleased to learn how easy dry beans made in the Instant Pot are to prepare and how delicious they can be. No more slimy beans out of a can for me. 🙂
More Comfort Food Favorites Your Family Will Enjoy –
- SAUSAGE BANGERS WITH MASHED POTATOES
- CURRIED BUTTERNUT SQUASH BISQUE
- LOW-CARB HEARTY ZUCCHINI LASAGNA ROLLUPS
- INSTANT POT RAVIOLI SOUP
- BUTTERED ROSEMARY ROLLS
- INSTANT POT CABBAGE ROLL SOUP
- BAKED SPAGHETTI PIE CASSEROLE
- SAVORY SWEET BACON CHEESEBURGER SLIDERS
- SPICY ITALIAN SUB CRESCENT RING
- WHITE CHICKEN AND RICE CHILI
Printable Directions for Making Basic Instant Pot Ham and Beans
Instant Pot Ham and Beans
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, divided use
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 ribs celery, diced
- 1 leftover ham bone with meat, may substitute ham shanks if a ham bone with meat isn't available
- 6-8 cups nice, strong ham broth, I like to use a concentrated ham broth base, such as Better Than Bouillon to make my broth (you will find this product in the soup aisle at your grocer)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. dried tarragon, may ubstitute 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning instead (the tarragon is especially good in this recipe)
- 1 lb. dry white beans, I used Great Northern, no need to soak the beans first
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste (Be sure to taste the soup before you salt it; sometimes ham broth and ham can be very salty)
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup heavy cream, as desired, for creaminess
- Using the saute setting on your Instant Pot, add 1 Tbs. of oil; when the oil is hot add the carrots, onions, and celery, cooking until the veggies are softened, adding a bit of ham broth to the mixture, if needed, to keep them from sticking.
- Place the ham bone (or ham shanks), with the broth, bay leaf, tarragon, oil and dry beans into the Instant Pot with the vegetables, making sure the Instant Pot isn't filled more two-thirds full. Lock the lid into place then making sure the valve is set to the sealing position; choose 35 minutes on high pressure, bringing the Instant Pot to full pressure.
- When the timer sounds, use a 30 minute natural pressure release, followed by a quick release to remove any remaining pressure from the Instant Pot. (This long natural release allows your beans to finish cooking from residual heat and to relax, making them the perfect tenderness.)
- Remove the ham bone and bay leaf from the prepared soup in the Instant Pot; pull away any ham still attached to the ham bone, adding it back into the soup. Adjust the seasonings to taste. For added creaminess, stir in a bit of cream, as desired. Serve at once!
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. And, if you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: [email protected]
[…] If you love this recipe, you may also enjoy Electric Pressure Cooker Ham and Bean Soup […]