The best Hot Beef Sandwiches with Gravy and Mashed Potatoes – talk about easy comfort food made in a jiffy from tender roast beef, right in your Insta-Pot (Instant Pot).
Here’s your recipe for success! We enjoy this meal served open face, too….every sandwich slathered with lots of brown gravy, of course.
Comfort Food at It’s Finest: You Need This Hot Beef Sandwiches with Gravy Recipe
Howdy! Chef Alli Here. Let’s Get You Cookin’…Shall We?? 🙂
Growing up in Kansas, I would definitely call myself a “meat and potatoes” kind of girl, and these Hot Beef Sandwiches were on many a menu throughout my childhood.
Warm shredded beef always reminds me of both of my Grandmothers; they made this dish often, serving shredded roast beef on thick slices of white bread, along with a side of creamy mashed potatoes, all slathered with brown gravy. Heavenly!
Now, modernized by using the Instant Pot, this classic meal can be made in minutes instead of hours.
Since my Dad and brother raised beef, it was always in abundance as I was growing up – we always had an entire freezer full of meat. We often enjoyed meals like Country-Fried Steak Fingers with Cream Gravy, Open Face Italian Beef Sandwiches, Instant Pot Big Bold Beef Carnitas, and Barbacoa Shredded Beef with Corn Salsa.
Now that I’m grown and we raise our own beef for our family, it seems as though I’m always on the lookout for ground beef dinner ideas….Beef and Cheese Mexican Sanchiladas, Walking Taco Pull-Apart Bread, Easy Asian Beef Bowls, Cheesy Hash Brown Meatloaf Pie….and the like. All moms love good ground beef recipes for feeding hungry families, am I right?
What to Love About this Recipe –
- Chuck roast! This roast has great marbling so it’s tender, juicy and flavorful.
- It’s an iconic old-fashioned recipe that’s really popular here in the Midwest.
- You get to smother everything with GRAVY!
What Ingredients Do I Need to Make This Shredded Hot Beef Sandwich Recipe?
- Chuck roast
- White bread
- Spices: creole seasoning, granulated garlic, bay leaf
- All-purpose flour
- Beef broth
- Red Wine
How to Make Instant Pot Shredded Beef Sandwiches With Gravy in 5 Easy Steps
- Season the beef and brown it off in a bit of oil using the saute setting on the Instant Pot. Add the remaining ingredients, then bring the Instant Pot to full pressure, cooking the beef until it’s nicely tender.
- When the timer on the Instant Pot sounds, use the a natural release to let the pressure remove itself from the pot. Once all the pressure has released itself, you can remove the Instant Pot Lid.
- Using tongs, lift the cooked roast beef from the juices in the pot to a cutting board or large platter; using two forks, shred the roast beef.
- Meanwhile, prepare the mashed potatoes and the gravy.
- To serve, place the slices of bread onto serving plates, along side a nice helping of mashed potatoes; top with brown gravy and enjoy at once!
What Tools Do I Need to Make Instant Pot Roast Beef Sandwiches?
6-Quart Instant Pot – I’m always in a hurry so I love using my Instant Pot for cooking big cuts of beef and pork.
7-Quart Slow Cooker – If you prefer, you can always cook big cuts of beef or pork in a slow cooker, as well.
Cast Iron Dutch Oven – This this is my favorite tool for when I need to braise the roast beef in the oven.
Long-handled Tongs – A handy dandy tool for turning the beef chunks as you brown them.
Flat Silicone Whisk – A must-have tool for making lump-free gravy or sauces. This is a game-changer!
Gravy Separator – This toll is a must have for removing the unwanted fats from the broth so you can make gravy that’s not greasy in texture.
Ladle – This makes pouring gravy over the potatoes and the beef really easy.
Easy and Helpful Recipe Tips for Making Shredded Roast Beef Sandwiches
- Cutting the roast into chunks does two things – it helps the roast cook much faster as opposed to cooking it as a whole roast. Secondly, once the roast is cut into chunks, this gives more surface area to brown and caramelize.
- When we cook, brown is never a color, it’s a flavor. Browning the chunks of roast in the hot oil takes just a few minutes and it gives the meat it’s first layer of flavor. It’s a step that’s totally worth it.
- I adore Yukon Gold potatoes. There’s no peeling required, and once they are cooked and mashed, nobody is ever the wiser!
Plus, Yukon Gold potatoes are mild, buttery and creamy in texture – they make the best mashed potatoes in the land.
What to Serve with Hot Beef Sandwiches –
CAJUN SWEET CORN MEDLEY – a traditional summer side dish that combines sweet corn and vegetables with BACON.
AIR FRYER ROASTED PARMESAN BROCCOLI – a staple side dish that’s easy and tasty for your hungry family, whipped up super fast in your air fryer.
SARAH JANE’S SPICY DEVILED EGGS – Take your traditional deviled eggs up a notch with a bit of spice.
CRUNCHY CORN SALAD – Creamy corn salad with corn chips for added crunch and texture.
Printable Savory Roast Beef Sandwiches with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy Recipe
Instant Pot Hot Beef Sandwiches with Gravy and Mashed Potatoes Supreme
- 1-2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 lbs. beef chuck roast cut into 6-8 large chunks
- 1 tsp. Creole seasoning
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbs. water
- 1 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
Mashed Potatoes Supreme
- 3 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered, skins-on
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2-3 tsp. freshly grated horseradish to taste
For the Sandwiches
- 16 slices basic white sandwich bread or Texas Toast bread
Make the Roast Beef
- In a large bowl, combine the Creole seasoning with the granulated garlic and the flour; dredge each hunk of the chuck roast on all sides in the prepared seasoning mixture.
- Using the sauté setting on the Instant Pot, add the oil. When the oil is nicely hot, add the seasoned chunks of roast, browning them on all sides, a few at a time, working in batches so that you don’t over crowd the Instant Pot, placing the pieces of beef onto a platter as you work.
- Return all the browned meat back to the Instant Pot; top with the sliced onions, then add the broth, wine, and bay leaf. Lock the Instant Pot lid securely into place. Choose the high pressure setting for 50-60 minutes, bringing the Instant Pot to full pressure (I opt for 15 minutes per lb.).When the timer sounds, use a natural release to let the pressure come down on its own which will likely take 20-25 minutes. (This allows the meat to finishing cooking a bit from residual heat and to let the protein fibers relax so the meat is very tender. Don't skip this step of using the natural release!)
- Once the natural release is completed, carefully remove the lid, using a fork to test the meat to be sure it's nicely fork-tender. If not, lock the Instant Pot lid back into place, bringing it to full pressure once more for 5-10 additional minutes. (Please note: at this point, the Instant Pot will come back up to pressure very quickly because the contents will still be so very hot.)
- Remove the cooked and tender chunks of roast to a cutting board or large platter; gently shred the meat, then tent it with foil to keep warm.
Make the Gravy
- Using a gravy separator, separate the fat from the juices and drippings that remain in the Instant Pot; discard. Using the saute feature again, bring the remaining liquids in the pot to a high simmer. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the water and cornstarch; whisk this into the liquids in the Instant Pot, still using the saute setting. Whisking constantly, let the contents cook for 1-2 minutes or until you have a nice, thickened and smooth gravy. Stir in the butter, then return the warm shredded beef to the prepared gravy and keep warm.
Make the Mashed Potatoes Supreme
- Place the potatoes and broth into the Instant Pot. Using the saute setting, bring the broth to a boil. Lock the Instant Pot lid into place; choose the high pressure setting for 5 minutes, bringing Instant Pot to full pressure.
- When the timer sounds, perform a quick release to remove all pressure from the Instant Pot. Carefully unlock the lid and check the potatoes with a fork to be sure they are nicely fork-tender (If not, lock the IP lid into place and give the potatoes another minute under high pressure).
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sour cream with the beaten eggs. Drain the potatoes well in a colander, then return them to the Instant Pot. Using a potato masher or electric mixer, mash the potatoes, then add the sour cream mixture and horseradish, blending the potato mixture until smooth and fluffy. Season the potatoes to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve the Hot Beef Sandwiches
- To serve, place a slice of white bread onto a serving plate; top with the warm beef and gravy, then add a slice of bread on top, drizzling with more gravy. Add a serving of mashed potatoes on the side….with more gravy, of course! Enjoy at once.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. And, if you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: ChefAlli@ChefAlli.com
Let’s Get You Cookin’,
PLEASE NOTE: WE DO USE REFERRAL LINKS FOR PRODUCTS AND SERVICES THAT CHEF ALLI LOVES AND RECOMMENDS.