I love a good skillet meal and this is one of our absolute favorites….hands down. Skillet meals are super popular in my kitchen and these Asian flavors are really bold and fresh. You can have this meal on the table in 30 minutes, start to finish! #groundbeef #Asian #Skilletmeal
Please Note: We do use referral and affiliate links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends.
Easy Asian Beef Bowls….Made Right On Your Stove Top!
Who doesn’t love a good skillet meal? We make a lot of them at our house and that’s because we always have tons of ground beef or ground venison in our deep freeze to use up. (Which is to be expected since we raise cattle and all my guys love to hunt!) Plus, I’m a huge fan of my 12″ cast iron skillet because it cooks my ground meats so nicely.
These Asian Beef Bowls make a meal that’s good the entire year ’round. We love the combination of meat and vegetables…the crunchy and savory components really come together and the duck sauce (or plum sauce) gives a great Asian flair that’s not over the top.
I’ve made this skillet meal for lots of our friends and they always request the recipe. Like me, they are usually excited that this recipe only takes 30 minutes from start to finish – such a win!
Easy Recipe Tips for Making This Speedy Beef Skillet Meal
- What in the heck is plum sauce, anyway? If you can’t find plum sauce in the Asian aisle at your favorite grocer, you’ll usually find duck sauce there. Use either one interchangeably in this recipe – they are both just flavorful Asian condiments that are on the sweet side.
- Can you use ground turkey in this recipe? Heck, yea. We don’t use ground turkey much, since we raise cattle, but if that’s your groove, go for it. Any ground meat works great.
- What about the slaw? Can you substitute lettuce instead? Absolutely! And speaking of lettuce, this filling would be great to make a lettuce wrap!
- What if I don’t have rice vinegar on hand when I need to make the dressing? Don’t sweat it. You can substitute white wine vinegar or red wine vinegar with no problem
If you’re looking for other speedy skillet meals your family will enjoy, here you go!:
Printable Asian Beef Bowls Recipe
Asian Beef Bowls
I love a good skillet meal and this is one of our absolute favorites....hands down. Skillet meals are super popular in my kitchen and these Asian flavors are really bold and fresh. You can have this meal on the table in 30 minutes, start to finish!
- 1 lb. lean ground beef, sometimes I substitute 1/2 lb. ground venison since we always have a freezer full
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds and membranes removed, diced
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup plum sauce or duck sauce, found in the Asian aisle at your grocer
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup nicely chopped cilantro
- 1 lb. bag coleslaw mix
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2-3 Tbs. canola or vegetable oil
- chopped roasted peanuts, for garnish
In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, adding the red bell pepper to cook with the beef.
Cook beef until no pink remains and the meat is fully cooked throughout, 165 degrees F.
Add the plum sauce and red pepper flakes to the skillet, stirring to combine.
Toss in the scallions, carrots and cilantro and cook until all ingredients are just heated through.
Meanwhile in a small bowl, whisk together rice vinegar and oil to create dressing. Place the coleslaw mix into a mixing bowl, then add the dressing, tossing the coleslaw to combine.
To serve, place the dressed coleslaw into bowls, then top with the warm beef mixture.
Garnish with peanuts, if desired, for added crunch. Enjoy at once.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. And, if you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: ChefAlli@ChefAlli.com
Let’s Get You Cookin’,