On the lookout for an easy steak dinner idea? Well, here you have it, my friend! Easy Grilled Steak Avocado Toast is a quick meal that can be served any time of day. Savory slices of rib eye steak nestled down into a creamy bed of avocado is a mini feast that’s satisfying and delicious.
Easy Grilled Steak Avocado Toast Recipe
Howdy! Chef Alli Here. Let’s Get You Cookin’…. Shall We?? 🙂
Lots of folks enjoy avocado toast because of the health benefits. That’s all fine and dandy, but I enjoy avocado toast just because they are GOOD. Add some juicy and tender sliced steak and you’ve got a speedy meal that’s oh-so-satisfying.
Truthfully, I’m glad I enjoy a healthy beef dish like this one since both avocados and steak are pretty amazing super foods, in my book. Steak provides protein and iron (among other things), while avocados are loaded with potassium and fiber.
And you know what else I appreciate about Grilled Steak Avocado Toast? It’s hearty and filling…. and you get to CHEW. Call me crazy, but I find chewing to be a key attribute for feeling full and satisfied when I’m finished with a meal.
What to love about this steak dish
- All you need are a few ingredients.
- It pairs perfectly with Boot Hill Vodka Basil Lemonade Cocktails!
- Use leftover grilled steak to make this meal anytime in just minutes.
Here are the ingredients you need for this recipe
- Rib eye steak, we really enjoy Pacheco Beef Rib Eyes
- Your favorite steak seasoning, such as Montreal Steak Seasoning or Pacheco Grill Seasoning
- Thickly sliced bread
- Fully ripened avocados
- Minced chipotles or chipotle sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to make grilled steak avocado toast
**Print the full recipe from the RECIPE CARD at the bottom of this post
First and foremost: get that beef out of the fridge and onto the counter to de-chill and relax before you cook it. This is essential for a great steak experience! Season the steaks on both sides and then let them rest and do their thing. **Do not skip this important step!!
Preheat the grill pan or grill before ever adding the beef. A preheated cooking source is important so that when the beef meets the heat, you get good sizzle that says “caramelization is on the way!”.
Grill the steaks until the internal temperature reaches 125-130 degrees F., then remove to a platter and cover to allow residual heat to finish cooking the steaks to 135-145 degrees F., perfectly medium-rare.
While the steaks are grilling, slather the bread with mayo and grill until golden brown. Using a fork, mash the avocados until just slightly chunky, stirring in the minced chipotles; be sure to season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Divide the mashed avocado mixture between the slices of toasted bread. Slice the steak across the grain into 1/4-inch thick slices; nestle a few slices into the top of each avocado toast. Sprinkle with a few diced tomatoes, if desired. Beautiful! Serve at once, alongside a chilled glass of Boot Hill Vodka Bail Lemonade.
Answers to Common Questions Asked About This Recipe
Which tools are helpful for making avocado toast with grilled steak?
Chef’s knife – a good chef’s knife is such an essential kitchen tool! In this recipe, you’ll need one for slicing the eye of round roast into very thin slices, like deli roast beef. . **If taken care of properly, a good quality chef’s knife will last a lifetime, definitely make it worth the initial investment.
Large wooden cutting board with a channel – a good (large) wooden cutting board is what supports your chef’s knife, providing a surface that gives to the edge of your blade each time you make a cut. One side of the cutting board will feature the channel around the edge. This is the side that you should slice meats on – the meat juices funnel into the channel so they cannot run off the cutting board to create a mess on the counter. Use the other side of the cutting board for cutting and dicing fruits and vegetables.
Knife straightener – a hand-held knife straightener (often called a knife sharpener) is what keeps your chef’s knife blade straight so that it can make a precise, clean cut. Run your knife (never a serrated knife, though) through the straightener 2-3 times each and every time you prepare to use it to keep the blade in good shape.
Meat thermometer – I prefer an instant-read probe, but a traditional meat thermometer works fine, as well. It’s also handy to use a digital thermometer that has dual probes that can notify you when the meat raises to the temperature you’ve programmed for.
Why does this recipe call for mayonnaise instead of butter for grilling the bread? That seems weird.
Actually, anytime you’re making grilled bread or a grilled sandwich, substitute mayonnaise in place of butter or margarine. Mayonnaise provides superior browning which adds tremendous FLAVOR to any grilled bread. Do it!!
Can I use low-carb bread to make avocado toast?
Absolutely! There are several low-carb breads available at your local grocer that make delicious avocado toast.
If I’m in a hurry, can I just toast the bread in my toaster?
Sure thing – this works fine in a pinch. The end result won’t be quite a luscious, but it definitely helps to speed up the whole process a bit.
What cocktail pairs well with this beef dish?
This recipe was straight-up created to pair with Boot Hill Vodka Basil Lemonade Cocktails in a Can. I found the combination to be quite delicious, and I think you will, too. I love being able to pour this vodka lemonade cocktail right from the can over ice – so easy and the flavor pairing is spot on!
You can also serve Boot Hill Vodka Basil Lemonade Cocktails as a lemonade spritzer by adding ginger ale or club soda to the mix. Light, lovely, and bubbly….and quite addictive, btw.
Where can I find Boot Hill Vodka Basil Lemonade Cocktails?
You can get Vodka Basil Lemonade Cocktails at liquor stores across Kansas or online right here.
Boot Hill Distillery is located in Dodge City, Kansas, right on top of the original Boot Hill Cemetery. Visit their tasting room Wed – Sun (3-11pm) to experience their premium soil-to-sip spirits, or call ahead to arrange a tour of the distillery. It is such a fun experience!
What are chipotles?
Chipotles are jalapenos that have been smoked and dried, then packed in adobo sauce. They add a sweet smokiness to any dish. And, yes, they are HOT! A little goes a long way.
Where can I find chipotles?
You will find all kinds of chipotles and chipotle sauce in the Hispanic section of larger grocery stores. I typically purchase whole chipotles packed in adobo that I process until smooth in my food processor. You can keep them in your fridge and use just like any other condiment.
Can I use any type of steak to make avocado toast?
Surely. We just prefer rib eye steak because it’s rich and beefy. When cooked to medium rare doneness, it’s tender and juicy every time.
When should you serve avocado toast?
I think most people think of avocado toast as a breakfast or brunch item, and I tend to agree.
However, because I enjoy it so much, especially when topped with slices of steak, I eat avocado toast at lunchtime and also when I want something substantial for dinner, yet not too filling.
More Favorite Beef and Boot Hill Distillery Recipes to Enjoy
- Boot Hill Bourbon Cocktails – 3 Easy Favorites
- Air Fryer Marinated Steak Bites
- Instant Pot Eye of Round Roast (Deli-Style Roast Beef)
- Killer Hamburger Skillet Steak
- Orzo Pasta Salad with Grilled Beef
Printable Easy Steak Avocado Toast Recipe
Easy Grilled Steak Avocado Toast
Grilled Steak Avocado Toast
- Olive oil, for searing steak
- 1 1/2 lbs. rib eye steaks, we prefer Pacheco Beef Rib Eye Steak! rested at room temperature for one hour
- Your favorite steak seasoning
- 4 thick slices bread
- 4 Tbs. mayonnaise
- 2 medium fully ripened avocados, skins and pit removed
- 1 tsp. minced chipotles or chipotle sauce
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
On The Side
- 1 can Boot Hill Vodka Basil Lemonade Cocktail
Create the Grilled Steak Avocado Toast
- Remove the steaks from refrigeration and open the packaging; season the steaks to taste with the steak seasoning on both sides. Let the steaks rest at room temperature, uncovered, for one hour to allow the steaks to relax.
- Preheat a large grill pan over medium high heat; add a drizzle of olive oil. When the oil is nicely hot, add the seasoned steak to the pan, searing it on both sides until nicely caramelized. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to grill the steaks until they reach 125-130 degrees F.
- Remove the steak from the grill pan to a plate; cover with foil to allow the steak to continue to cook from residual heat and raise in internal temperature to 135-140 degrees F for perfect medium rare doneness.
- Place the warm steak onto a cutting board; slice across the grain into 1/4-inch strips; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, preheat a skillet over medium heat. Lightly slather the bread with mayonnaise on both sides; grill the bread until deep golden brown on both sides.
- Using a fork, mash the avocado flesh until just slightly chunky; blend in the minced chipotles, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the grilled toast onto a serving platter, top with the prepared avocado mixture, then nestle the sliced steak on top. Garnish with diced tomatoes, as desired.
Pour Yourself a Refreshing Beverage
- Fill your favorite glass with ice, then slowly pour in a can of Boot Hill Vodka Basil Lemonade Cocktail. Garnish with a lemon slice, if desired. Serve at once, paired with a Grilled Steak Avocado Toast.
What cocktail pairs best with this beef dish?This recipe was straight-up created to pair with Boot Hill Vodka Basil Lemonade Cocktails in a Can. I found the combination to be quite delicious, and I think you will, too. I love being able to pour this vodka lemonade cocktail right from the can over ice – so easy and the flavor pairing is spot on! You can also serve Boot Hill Vodka Basil Lemonade Cocktails as a lemonade spritzer by adding ginger ale or club soda to the mix. Light, lovely, and bubbly….and quite addictive, btw.
Where can I find Boot Hill Vodka Basil Lemonade Cocktails?You can get Vodka Basil Lemonade cans at liquor stores across Kansas or online right here! Boot Hill Distillery is located in Dodge City, Kansas, right on top of the original Boot Hill Cemetery. Visit their tasting room Wed – Sun (3-11pm) to experience their premium soil-to-sip spirits, or call ahead to arrange a tour of the distillery.
Where can I find Pacheco Beef?To have a beef shipped directly, visit Pacheco Beef online. Or, if you’re in the Alma, KS area you can always visit their beef shop in person at 607 Missouri Ave, Alma, KS 66401. **Be sure to check the blog post for tips and tricks, specific instructions, recommended tools, and FAQ’s for making this recipe.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. If you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: [email protected]
Let’s Get You Cookin’,
Please Note: We do use referral and affiliate links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer here