I hated slaw when I was a kid. Now I can’t get enough of it! Loaded with crisp cabbage and fresh veggies, Crunchy Mexican Coleslaw is vibrant in color, flavor, and texture. The creamy dressing gets extra zip from fresh lime zest. This salad is a winner!
Crunchy Mexican Coleslaw Recipe –
Howdy! Chef Alli Here. Let’s Get You Cookin’…. Shall We?? 🙂
To me, nothing says summer like salads do.
What’s more refreshing than having a salad tucked in the fridge, ready for you to eat as a light lunch, healthy snack or as a side dish?
And, because I love salads, I try to keep a good selection of salad recipes here on my blog.
One of my most popular salads is Summer Corn Salad, and it’s also a personal favorite of my own.
Whenever there’s a family gathering I’m always asked to bring Crunchy Frito Corn Salad, and my husband likes me to make Delta Cornbread Salad for his family reunion side dish.
What to love about this easy salad recipe –
- It’s a classic side dish and goes great with any meal.
- No cabbage cooking is required!
- You can prepare this coleslaw recipe ahead of time.
- Only a few ingredients are needed.
Here are the ingredients you need to make this recipe –
- Packaged coleslaw mix
- Sliced black olives
- Mexi-corn (canned corn with green and red bell peppers)
- Scallions (green onions)
- Red wine vinegar
- Zest of 1 lime
How to make Crunchy Mexican Coleslaw in 3 easy steps –
**Full, printable recipe card below – just scroll on down within this post to find it!
- In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients together until smooth. (Or, place the dressing ingredients into a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake well.)
- In a large serving bowl, combine the coleslaw mix with the olives, corn, and sliced scallions.
- Drizzle the salad ingredients with the desired amount of the prepared dressing; toss gently to combine. Chill the coleslaw for 2-3 hours. Coleslaw can be made up to 6-8 hours ahead.
Answers to Common Questions Asked About This Recipe
Can I make my own coleslaw mix?
Certainly. Grab a head of green cabbage from the produce department. Shred or very thinly slice the cabbage; add matchstick carrots to the cabbage, as desired. Purple cabbage can also be added for pretty color and more crunch.
Is coleslaw a healthy side dish?
Yes, coleslaw can be a healthy, delicious side dish since it’s loaded with vegetables that are packed with fiber and vitamins.
It is a the perfect side dish for this Beef Carne Picada.
Sometimes, though, where coleslaw ISN’T healthy is regarding the dressing, since it’s made with mayonnaise.
How can I make more healthy version of coleslaw dressing that is lower in fat and calories?
To make this coleslaw dressing lower in fat and calories, substitute plain Greek yogurt for half of the mayonnaise. The dressing will still be nice and creamy, with just a bit more tang from the Greek yogurt.
What to serve with this recipe
Crispy Milanesa Steak – My family loves this tender, crispy, thin-sliced breaded steak dish.
More Favorite Salad Recipes to Enjoy –
- PEACH AND TOMATO SALAD WITH GOAT CHEESE AND CRISPY BACON
- POTATO SALAD WITH SWEET JALAPENO RELISH
- BLACK BEAN SALAD WITH CORN AND JICAMA
- PINTO BEAN SALAD WTIH FETA CHEESE AND WALNUTS
- MARINATED CORN SALAD WITH FRESH BASIL
Printable Crunchy Mexican Coleslaw Recipe
Crunchy Mexican Coleslaw
- 1 lb. package coleslaw (shredded cabbage with carrots)
- 2 2 oz. cans sliced black olives, drained well
- 1 7 oz. can Green Giant Mexi-Corn, drained well
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions, white and green parts both
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbs. granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 lime
Make the Dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients until smooth; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Prepare the Coleslaw
- In a large serving bowl, gently toss the coleslaw with the black olives, corn, and green onions to combine. Drizzle with the desired amount of dressing, tossing again to allow the dressing to coat all the vegetables; add more dressing as desired.
- Chill the salad for 2-3 hours before serving. Salad is best served within 6-8 hours of preparation so coleslaw stays crispy.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. If you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: [email protected].
Let’s Get You Cookin’,
Please Note: We do use referral and affiliate links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer here.