Chicken and Bacon Black Bean Enchiladas
These easy and delicious Chicken and Bacon Black Bean Enchiladas make a fun weeknight meal and I love to double this recipe to make TWO pans – one for dinner now and one for dinner later.
Please Note: We do use referral links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends.
Howdy! Chef Alli Here. Let’s Get You Cookin’…….Shall We? 🙂
This casserole makes a pretty neat gift when somebody’s grieving a loss or celebrating a birth….and who doesn’t love a pan of enchiladas delivered to their door when in need??
You guys know that I adore any kind of meal has Mexican, South West, or Tex Mex flavors and this Chicken and Bacon Black Enchilada Casserole is no exception. When I first came up with this recipe, I was a little skeptical about adding bacon to an enchilada………somehow it just didn’t seem right.
I know – what is wrong with me?? Bacon makes everything better. But since these enchiladas aren’t TRADITIONAL in any way so I gave in and I’m so glad I did – they are totally yummy.
Easy Recipe Tips for Making Your Own Pan of Chicken and Bacon Black Bean Enchiladas
1. Don’t have time to cook some chicken? Don’t worry. Fetch you a rotisserie chicken and shred that thing quick while it’s still warm – the meat comes off the bones easier when it’s still warm or room temperature.
2. This enchilada recipe is a little different because it calls for FLOUR tortillas. If that stresses you, feel free to do the traditional thing and use corn tortillas – no problem. However, I will tell you that if you make this AS IS, you’ll find it super delish – I was skeptical at first, too, and now I can’t get enough of these tasty suckers.
3. I like black beans best in this enchilada casserole, but you can substitute chili beans or pinto beans, if you prefer. (And do you ever make beans in your Instant Pot? Life changing!)
Printable Direction for Making for Chicken and Bacon Black Bean Enchiladas
Chicken and Bacon Black Bean Enchiladas
- 2 cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken
- 1/3 cup chopped, cooked bacon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups jarred salsa, such as Pace (salsa fresca or restaurant-style salsa is too watery for this recipe)
- 1 cup black beans, with a little juice
- 2 Tbs. pimentos
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions (green and white parts both, as desired)
- 6-8 flour tortillas, 8"
- 1 cup shredded cheddar, we like sharp cheddar
- Your favorite toppings, such as sour cream, sliced olives, cilantro, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Meanwhile, spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine chicken with 1 cup of the salsa, bacon, garlic, beans and a little juice, pimentos, cumin, salt, and scallions; combine well.
- Divide prepared chicken mixture between the tortillas, folding each tortilla around the filling and placing them side-by-side in the prepared baking dish. (I usually make 8 enchiladas from this recipe, but if you prefer 6 FATTER enchiladas, go for it.)
- Spread the remaining cup of salsa over the top of the enchiladas in the pan; cover with foil. Bake enchiladas, on center rack of the preheated oven, covered, for 20-25 minutes or until hot throughout.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle the enchiladas with cheese; bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve enchiladas garnished with your favorite Mexican toppings.
Make your own easy SHEET PAN Meals –
Other Recipe Favorites to Enjoy –
- CLASSIC CUBAN-STYLE PICADILLO OVER RICE
- INSTANT POT BIG BOLD BEEF CARNITAS
- EASY OPEN-FACE ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICHES
- ROAST BEEF WELLINGTON HAND PIES
- CORNED BEEF FRITTERS WITH DIPPING SAUCE
- CHEESY CHICKEN TAMALE CASSEROLE
- INSTANT POT HOT BEEF SANDWICHES WITH GRAVY
- SMOKED TRI-TIP BEEF WITH CHIMICHURRI SAUCE
- ASIAN MEATBALL SUB SANDWICHES
We love to hear from our readers and followers, so please feel free to leave us a comment here! If you don’t hear back from us shortly, it may be because we don’t see your comment. You can also reach us here: ChefAlli@ChefAlli.com.