Need a quick, easy, no-fuss meal your family will adore?? Here it is! This chicken tamale casserole is one of our favorite weeknight meals that features all the classic flavors of authentic tamales….without all the work.
Please Note: We do use referral links for products and services that Chef Alli loves!
This easy casserole is always at the top of my go-to list when I’m seeking a recipe that lets me use up leftover cooked (or grilled) chicken. Every time I take this chicken tamale casserole to a covered-dish gathering, I get lots of requests for the recipe…you will, too. If your family loves Mexican dishes, you better give this Enchilada Casserole a shot…it’s ready in just 5 minutes in your Instant Pot!
Easy Recipe Tips for Cheesy Chicken Tamale Casserole
1. When you mix up your batter in your favorite batter bowl, don’t worry if it’s a little lumpy….leave those suckers right in there and don’t give them another thought. I like a good stainless steel balloon whisk for this job, but take care not to overwork the batter to remove the lumps; that can cause the corn muffin base in this recipe to become tough and chewy….never a good thing!
2. This recipe would also be delicious using cooked pulled pork instead of the shredded chicken. And, if you’re using pulled pork, you could also switch out the green enchilada sauce for red enchilada sauce to create a completely different flavor profile. I love having options, don’t you?
Printable Recipe for Cheesy Chicken Tamale Casserole
Cheesy Chicken Tamale Casserole
Need a quick, easy, no-fuss meal your family will adore?? Here it is, a delicious Cheesy Chicken Tamale Casserole with all the classic flavors of authentic tamales. Every time I take this chicken tamale casserole to a covered-dish gathering, I get lots of requests for the recipe...you will, too!
- 1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix, 8.5 oz
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 14.5 oz can cream-style corn
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 10 oz. cans green enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or Colby-Jack cheese
- 2-3 cups cooked chicken shredded
Your favorite toppings, such as sour cream, diced tomatoes, salsa, cilantro, tortilla or corn chips for crunch
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine cornbread mix, milk, eggs, and corn, stirring just until combined - mixture may look rather lumpy...no worries!
Stir in 1 cup of cheese, then place mixture into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
Bake casserole, uncovered, on center rack of oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven; use a fork to pierce the top of the casserole all over, making rather exaggerated openings, if you can.
Pour 1 can of enchilada sauce over the casserole; top with shredded chicken, followed by the second can of enchilada sauce. Return casserole to the oven and bake 20 minutes longer. Top with remaining cup of cheese 5 minutes before the end of the baking time.
**Please note: when you remove the casserole from the oven after the final baking time, it may look as though it’s not done, and be rather “loose” at the center and on the top. Don’t worry! Just let the casserole rest for at least 10 minutes and this liquid will absorb really nicely.
Serve casserole warm, topped with your favorite toppings. Ole!
This Recipe Shared on Weekend PotLuck
Feel free to leave us a comment – we love hearing from our readers and followers! If you don’t hear back from us here, please reach out to us by email: ChefAlli@ChefAlli.com