Is there anything more Southern on an appetizer menu than pimento cheese? It’s delicious stuffed between two slices of white bread or just slathered on top of a cracker. Southern Pimento Cheese is likely to become your new favorite party dip.
Southern Pimento Cheese Recipe
HOWDY! CHEF ALLI HERE. LET’S GET YOU COOKIN’…. SHALL WE?? 🙂
Southern pimento cheese spread is a classic and beloved dish of the deep South. This recipe came to me by way of my good friend, Jan Blasi, one of the very best Southern cooks I know and love. Jan’s original recipe pimento cheese
I have been on the receiving end of some of Jan’s good cooking many times, thankfully. She makes some of the best grits and gravy around and we are absolute fanatics for her Overnight Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Casserole.
Jan also makes a fantastic Pork Steak and Sauerkraut Skillet that is so good you simply want to roll around in it….not even kidding. The pork is tender and juicy, all nestled down into a big bed of seasoned sauerkraut – it’s heavenly stuff.
WHAT TO LOVE ABOUT PIMENTO CHEESE SPREAD AS AN EASY APPETIZER
- Well, who doesn’t love CHEEEEEESE???
- All you need to add are crackers or some veggies.
- This is an appetizer you can have ready in your fridge at all times.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE PIMENTO CHEESE SPREAD
- SHARP CHEDDAR CHEESE
- DICED PIMENTOS
- CREAM CHEESE
- GRANULATED ONION
- SALT AND PEPPER, TO TASTE
- CAYENNE PEPPER, TOTALLY OPTIONAL
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST PIMENTO CHEESE
- For the very best flavor, grate your own cheese! Yep, bagged shredded cheese is super convenient but shredding your own is absolutely worth it when making cheese spread. Bagged cheese has additives to keep the shreds from sticking and this can definitely affect the flavor and texture of the cheese.
- Pimento cheese spread is best served at room temperature. You’ll want to store it in the fridge, but let it sit out at room temperature for 30 minutes or so before serving. This allows the true flavors to amplify more as you eat it. It also makes it easier for dipping.
- Pimento cheese is beautiful and delicious as part of a crudité platter, served alongside an assortment of colorful and crisp vegetables.
- Pimento cheese also makes a fantastic midnight snack – the perfect creamy dip with a cracker or two.
ANSWERS TO COMMON QUESTIONS ASKED ABOUT THIS RECIPE
WHAT IS PIMENTO CHEESE SPREAD?
Pimento cheese is a popular Southern spread that’s traditionally made with shredded Cheddar, mayonnaise, and pimentos. This recipe is extra decadent due to the addition of cream cheese.
HOW DO YOU SERVE PIMENTO CHEESE?
Serve pimento cheese spread with crackers, toasted baguette slices, or your favorite vegetables. Pimento cheese is also delicious as a sandwich filling!
WHAT ARE PIMENTOS?
Pimentos are small red peppers that are very mild in flavor, often called cherry peppers when sold fresh in the grocery store or at a farmer’s market. You may often see them called “pimiento” peppers.
MORE FAVORITE RECIPES
- ROAST BEEF PICNIC PINWHEELS
- BUTTER BOARD WITH SPREADABLE CHEESES AND JAM
- SMOKED TURKEY TEA FINGER SANDWICHES
- LOADED BAKED SPINACH ARTICHOKE DIP
- SWEET AND SPICY KIELBASA SAUSAGE BITES
Printable Southern Pimento Cheese Recipe
Southern Pimento Cheese
- 2 cups freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 oz. softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Hellman's mayonnaise
- 8 oz. jar diced pimentos
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. granulated onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste optional
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, and granulated onion until smooth; season to taste with salt and pepper (and cayenne, if using). Fold in the shredded cheddar and pimentos, gently mixing until combined. Adjust seasonings, as needed. Pimento cheese is best served at room temperature.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. If you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: [email protected]
LET’S GET YOU COOKIN’,
Please Note: We do use referral and affiliate links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends. We may receive a small compensation when you use these links. This really helps us keep the recipe blog moving forward. Thank you so much!
Leave a Reply