Ready for a fiesta in your mouth? This Chunky Chicken Burrito Skillet Meal brings it! Tender chunks of spiced chicken combined with saucy rice and black beans make up this quick skillet meal. Just add your favorite cheese and toppings to customize.
Chunky Chicken Burrito Skillet Meal Recipe
Please Note: We do use referral and affiliate links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends.
Howdy! Chef Alli Here. Let’s Get You Cookin…..Shall We??? 🙂
We eat a lot of Mexican food at our house….burritos, enchiladas, tacos, quesadillas, sanchos, nachos….we love all of it! This Chunky Chicken Burrito Skillet Meal is no exception, simmered up in my favorite cast iron skillet in mere minutes.
We also figured out that when we have any, it’s fun to make NACHOS from the leftovers. Putting this chicken, rice, and black bean mixture over tortilla chips lets us have one more meal with little effort.
Let’s Talk Ingredients for Making This Black Bean and Chicken Recipe
I always have olive oil handy near my cook top, but you could certainly use vegetable oil or canola oil, instead.
My family likes white meat, so I usually use chicken breasts when I make this recipe. However, at one point, I made this with boneless, skinless chicken thighs and it was fantastic! I think the dark meat of the chicken thighs adds a whole new level to this dish.
Once I found basmati and jasmine rice, I’ve never looked back. I don’t cook with long grain white rice any longer and what a relief. I’ve never had great luck in getting plain ole long grain white rice to be the texture I like – it’s always too mushy no matter how I cook it. Enter jasmine and basmati rice! It’s super easy to cook, comes out perfect every time and it’s FAST! Both of these types of rice are a bit more expensive than long grain white rice, but so worth it.
We love black beans in this skillet meal, but if you don’t have those on hand, feel free to substitute pinto beans or chili beans – they work great. Whichever type you choose, just drain and rinse well before adding to the other ingredients.
Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
We use a mild version of diced tomatoes and green chilies, but you can opt for the more spicy option if you prefer. Also, don’t drain the tomatoes since the juice is absorbed into the rice.
Here’s where the moisture comes from in this skillet, and you’ll need quite a bit of it since the rice absorbs a ton. You can substitute vegetable broth or beef broth, too.
Grape Tomatoes, sliced black olives, chopped cilantro, chopped scallions, salsa, and shredded cheese
These ingredients are your toppings and they are totally meant for customization to your tastes – go for it!
Easy Recipe Tips for Making Chunky Chicken Burrito Skillet
Can I substitute chicken thighs in place of the chicken breasts in this recipe?
Yep, and I do that all the time. I love to hit a boneless, skinless chicken thigh sale and stock up my freezer for recipes like this one. My family prefer the white meat of chicken breasts, but as I’ve gotten older, I prefer the dark meat of the thighs because it’s more moist and flavorful….also cheaper!
Do I need a special skillet to make this meal?
You can use any skillet you prefer to make this recipe, as long as it’s a big one! I really like using my 12″ cast iron skillet for this dish since it’s got nice tall sides, making it easy to stir without having all my ingredients overflowing everywhere. Also, I like it that I can make this skillet meal in my cast iron skillet, then transfer it to the center of my table to serve my family – cast iron holds the heat really well so it’s great to serve from and keeps the food warm for an extended period.
How do I make Chunky Chicken Burrito Bowls?
We place tortilla chips into the bottom of our bowls, then top with the warm Chunky Chicken Skillet Meal mixture and add our favorite toppings.
More Mexican Recipes to Enjoy –
Printable Directions for Making Chunky Chicken Burrito Skillet Meal
Chunky Chicken Burrito Skillet Meal
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, divided use
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1 tsp. granulated onion
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into 1" pieces, seasoned to taste with kosher salt and pepper
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 oz. can diced tomatoes and green chilies, with juice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- halved grape tomatoes, sliced black olives, salsa, shredded cheese, sliced scallions, as garnish
- In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbs. olive oil over medium-high heat; add the chili powder, cumin, granulated onion, and granulated garlic, along with the chicken to the skillet, cooking just until the chicken is golden brown on both sides, 1-2 minutes; remove chicken from skillet and reserve.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat; add the rice and sauté for one minute, stirring often.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes and green chilies, and broth; bring to a boil. Place the reserved chicken on top, but DO NOT stir it into the rice mixture.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low; cover the skillet, letting the contents simmer, covered, until rice is tender and chicken is fully cooked throughout, about 20 minutes. If more liquid is needed throughout this process, add extra chicken broth as you go.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and uncover. Sprinkle with cheese and cover the skillet once more, for just a couple minutes until the cheese melts.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings and serve.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. And, if you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: [email protected]