These Air Fryer Pizza Balls are Pillsbury biscuits in the air fryer, loaded with mozzarella and pepperoni, and then slathered with Parmesan butter.
Air Fryer Pizza Bombs Recipe
Get ready to put a new spin on pizza night with these air fryer pizza bites! These Grands biscuits in the air fryer bake until golden brown and ooey-gooey.
I like to serve the pizza rolls with warm marinara sauce on the side for dipping.
These pizza bites are perfect for kits of all ages, only require five basic ingredients, and are perfect for any game-day platter or an easy everyday meal.
You can vary the pizza balls you serve by incorporating different types of meats and cheeses. Add veggies for even more options, such as diced green pepper, mushrooms, onions, olives, etc.
Another recipe similar to this that our family loves is this Air Fryer Pizza Breadsticks.
Air Fryer Pizza Balls Recipe ingredients
- Pillsbury Grands biscuits: I used original Grands biscuits, but you can use Southern-style, buttermilk or butter flavored.
- Pepperoni: Original pepperoni, turkey pepperoni, or mini pepperoni works great in this recipe.
- Mozzarella cheese sticks: Mozzarella cheese sticks are string cheese.
- Pizza sauce: Use your favorite brand or substitute marinara sauce, even. Ranch is also a tasty dipping sauce, too, of course.
- The topping: Melted butter, Grated parmesan, and red pepper flakes. This combination makes a delicious topping that’s brushed onto the biscuits before and after baking, as desired. The red pepper flakes are completely optional but do add a bit of nice “zing” to the pizza bombs.
Pizza Bites Recipe tips
- When you place the pizza balls on the air fryer rack to cook, close up the dough really well on the bottom. If the dough isn’t sealed well, the cheese can run out the bottom as it melts.
- A rack-style air fryer works best (as opposed to a basket-style air fryer) for making pizza bombs. When you air fryer them, make sure they aren’t touching so the hot air can circulate around the pizza balls for even cooking.
- If preferred, you can use a rolling pin to roll out the biscuits before filling them. I found it quicker just to use my fingers.
How to make Air Fryer Pizza Balls
Open the can of biscuits and lay them out on a clean work surface or a cutting board.
Press each biscuit out using your fingertips until it’s flat to about 1/4-inch thick.
Place a few pieces of pepperoni on top of each biscuit, then add 1-2 pieces of the mozzarella cheese sticks.
Gather the biscuit around the ingredients, pinching it closed at the top. Place the pizza bomb onto the greased air fryer rack, pinched side down.
Repeat the process to make the remaining 7 pizza bombs, placing them all onto the air fryer, not touching.
You may have to make the pizza balls in batches depending on the size and type of your air fryer.
In a small bowl, combine the melted butter with the Parmesan and red pepper flakes.
Brush the butter mixture over the pizza bombs on the air fryer rack.
To Air Fry:
Preheat the air fryer for 1-2 minutes to get it good and hot. Air fry the pizza bombs at 375 degrees F. for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown and fully cooked throughout.
Brush with more Parmesan butter, if desired, before serving.
Bake the pizza bombs in a preheated oven at 375 degrees F. for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and fully cooked throughout.
Brush with more Parmesan butter, if desired, before serving.
Cooking times for pizza balls can vary by a few minutes depending on how your air fryer works.
Serve warm with pizza sauce on the side for dipping, if desired.
How to store pizza balls
Store the baked and cooled pizza rolls in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat them in the air fryer at 300 degrees until warm throughout.
Or, if absolutely necessary, reheat in the microwave for a few seconds.
Pizza bombs are always best reheated in the air fryer since the microwave can make them a bit soggy.
How to freeze air fryer pizza rolls
Air fryer pizza balls can be made and frozen once fully cooled.
Wrap each one individually in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil before placing them into a large freezer bag or air-tight container.
You can make these pizza balls and then freeze them for later. Wrap them individually with plastic wrap and aluminum foil before putting them in a freezer-safe bag.
You can also place them wrapped in plastic and foil in an airtight container with parchment paper between the layers. These should freeze up to 2-3 months.
How to reheat frozen pizza bombs
To reheat a pizza ball from frozen, remove it from the freezer bag and completely unwrap it. Fold up the frozen pizza bomb in a paper towel and place into the microwave.
Microwave on 30% power for about 1 1/2 minutes, followed by 1 1/2 minutes on high power. Let stand a minute before attempting to eat.
More air fryer favorite recipes
Air fryer brats with peppers and onions is a quick and simple dinner that cooks in 20 minutes.
Talk about a cinch to make! Air fryer cheesy bacon poppers can be made in a flash since there’s no bacon-wrapping involved – the bacon is right in the filling.
Or try this Easy Air Fryer Pizza for simple pizza night sure to please.
Turn scrambled eggs, sausage crumbles, and shredded cheese into Stuffed Breakfast Biscuits using refrigerated Pillsbury canned biscuits in your oven or air fryer.
Juicy and tender, low carb dill pickle chicken wings are the bomb! Just 20 minutes in the air fryer, these tasty wings make a great low carb snack when you need one…what are you waiting for?!
We make parmesan broccoli almost weekly and air fryer marinated steak bites are a big favorite, too. Surprisingly, we have found we love air fryer fish, too. Crispy fish (with dill tartar sauce) cooks in right around 10 minutes and mahi mahi with mango salsa makes an easy and flavorful weeknight meal.
And did you know you can cook fish from frozen in the air fryer? Frozen fish with parmesan crumbles can be ready in a hot minute and no thawing is required at all.
Air Fryer Pizza Balls
- 1 can Pillsbury Grands biscuits, 8 count
- 4 oz. Pepperoni slices, each one cut in half
- 4 Mozzarella cheese sticks
- 2 Tbs. Melted butter
- 1 Tbs. Grated Parmesan
- 1/4 tsp. Red pepper flakes optional
- Pizza sauce, on the side, for dipping
- Open the can of biscuits and lay them out onto a clean work surface or a cutting board. Using your fingertips, press each biscuit out until it’s flattened to about 1/4-inch thickness.
- Place a few pieces of pepperoni on top of each biscuit, then add 1-2 pieces of the mozzarella cheese sticks.
- Gather the biscuit around the ingredients, pinching it completely closed at the top; place the pizza bomb onto the greased air fryer rack, pinched side down.
- Repeat the process to make the remaining 7 pizza bombs, placing them all onto the air fryer, not touching. **You make have to make the pizza balls in batches depending on the size and type of your air fryer.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter with the Parmesan and red pepper flakes; brush the butter mixture over the pizza bombs on the air fryer rack.
- To Air Fry: Preheat the air fryer for 1-2 minutes to get it good and hot. Air fry the pizza bombs at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown and fully cooked throughout. Brush with more Parmesan butter, if desired, before serving.
- To Bake: Bake the pizza bombs at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and fully cooked throughout. Brush with more Parmesan butter, if desired, before serving.
- Serve warm with pizza sauce on the side for dipping, if desired.