Definitely my husband’s favorite salad! If we have to take a covered dish to a gathering, he ALWAYS wants me to make this Delta Cornbread Salad, which I do! This is a salad that you’ll WANT to take to your next family reunion or potluck, especially if you’ve made it in a beautiful glass trifle bowl so everyone can see all the layers. They will be salivating before you can even set it down. #cornbread #comfortfood #salad #southern #WeekendPotluck #MealPlanMonday
Please Note: We do use referral links for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends.
How to Make Delta Cornbread Salad in A Flash
Once you’ve prepped your veggies for this salad, you’ll be doing something pretty fun: LAYERING. This salad is super showy so I always try to make it in a clear trifle dish that’s got a pedestal so you can really display it. I’ve been making this salad for a good 15-20 years, but I still hear people say “Gosh, I’ve never even heard of a salad like that!” They always love it….after all what’s not to love about cornbread, bacon, cheese, veggies, AND Ranch Dressing???
Crumbled Cornbread. I usually always keep 2 boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix in my pantry. One box makes the perfect amount of cornbread for this recipe. Or, if you don’t have time to bake up the muffin mix ahead of time, you can purchase cornbread muffins at your local grocer in the baker dept. and crumble them for this dish – works perfectly!
Bacon. Need I say more???
Mayonnaise, sour cream, Ranch salad dressing mix. These ingredients make up the creamy dressing you are going to layer intermittently throughout this salad.
Tomatoes, pinto beans, corn, scallions, bell pepper, shredded carrots. This is your veggie/bean mixture for the salad. Sometimes I even add a diced jalapeno to the mix for a little kick!
Shredded Cheddar. I like to use sharp cheddar, but you can actually add just about any shredded cheese that you enjoy.
Easy Recipe Tips for Making Delta Cornbread Salad
- What’s the easiest way to layer this salad into the trifle bowl? I’ve found that instead of making a bunch of thin layers, it’s easier (and prettier) to simply divide your ingredients in half when layering them into the bowl. So, you’ll put in half of your cornbread crumbles, top with half of the veggie/bean mixture, half of the bacon, half of the cheddar cheese and then half of the Ranch dressing. Then, just repeat.
- I don’t have a trifle dish/bowl. Can I use something else? Any deep bowl will work fine. If it happens to be clear, it will help to show off your work, but if not, no worries. Once somebody removes a scoop of the salad with the serving spoon, everyone will be able to see all the pretty layers and ingredients. They will all dig right in!
Looking for other delicious corn salad recipes? Here are some of my favorites:
Printable Recipe for Delta Cornbread Salad
Delta Cornbread Salad
- 2-3 cups crumbled cornbread (from 1 jiffy corn bead mix, baked according to package directions and cooled)
- 12 slices bacon, cooked until crisp, crumbled
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 oz. package dry ranch salad dressing mix, approx. 2 Tbs.
- 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 15 oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups frozen sweet corn kernels, thawed
- 1 sweet red pepper, membranes and seeds removed, diced
- 1 bundle scallions, green and white parts both
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Combine mayonnaise with sour cream and ranch dressing mix; set aside.
Combine tomatoes, pinto beans, corn, red pepper, and green onions in a large mixing bowl. Using a 3-4 quart glass serving bowl or trifle dish, layer in half of the crumbled cornbread, half of the bean mixture, half of the bacon and and half of the cheese.
Top the cheese with half of the dressing; repeat layers. Cover and chill for 6-8 hours or overnight.