Zucchini Oatmeal Crunch Recipe
Believe it or not, Zucchini Oatmeal Crunch tastes just like Apple Crisp. You may not realize it, but zucchini is one of those sneaky vegetables that’s kind of a switch-hitter; it can go savory or it can go sweet. Who knew?
Please Note: We do use referral and affiliate links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends.
Howdy! Chef Alli Here. Let’s Get You Cookin’….Shall We? 🙂
If it’s August or September here in the Heartland, we’ve likely got zucchini running out of our ears! Sometimes I get tired of making the same ole Zucchini Bread….there’s GOT to be something new and better, right?
Enter Zucchini Oatmeal Crunch. Are you skeptical? So was I….but I’m here to tell you right now this dessert tastes JUST LIKE Apple Crisp. You’re never gonna believe it. (Yep, zucchini can totally be disguised to taste like apples!)
I’ve discovered that zucchini desserts are kind of few and far between, and they are named things like Zucchini Crumble, Zucchini Apple Pie, or Zucchini Apple Casserole….all are likely very similar to this recipe, but not quite as delicious. 🙂
Have fun when you’re serving this delicious (and easy!) dessert to your gang knowing they have no clue that they’re eating a vegetable instead of a fruit. And nary a soul is going to say “Hey, is this zucchini in here?”
What to Love About This Recipe –
- It’s a great, new way to use up all those darn zucchini.
- This dessert truly tastes just like apple crisp, texture and everything.
- Bring on the ICE CREAM!
What Ingredients Will You Need to Make Zucchini Oatmeal Crunch?
- Granulated sugar
- Spices: cinnamon, nutmeg
- Lemon juice (this is an important ingredient for making the zucchini taste like apples – don’t skip it!)
- Old-fashioned (whole) oats
- Dark brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
How to Make Zucchini Crunch in Just 3 Easy Steps
- Combine the zucchini pieces with the sugar, spices and lemon juice; place into a greased baking dish.
- Combine the oats, brown sugar, flour and melted butter; sprinkle this mixture over the prepared zucchini filling.
- Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 375 degree F. oven for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the zucchini is fork-tender. Let cool slightly, then serve topped with vanilla ice cream.
Helpful Recipe Tips for Making “Zucchini Apple Crisp”
- Can I make Zucchini Oatmeal Crunch ahead of time?
- Could I add berries to the zucchini when I bake this crunch?
- Can I double the oatmeal topping if I like a lot of it?
If you make and bake Zucchini Oatmeal Crunch ahead of time, I’d only do it a few hours ahead, say 5-6 hours or so…sometimes it can get a bit soggy after it sits. OR, even better, you could assemble it, stash it in the fridge, then bake it fresh when you’re preparing to serve dessert.
Adding berries to the zucchini works really well, even helping to further disguising the zucchini as fruit! Place the zucchini mixture into your baking dish, then top with the berries and the oatmeal crunch topping.
You can totally double the oatmeal topping for this dessert if you so desire. You may just need to bake it a little longer to be sure the topping gets fully cooked all the way through.
Other Zucchini Recipes to Enjoy –
- Easy Zucchini Pizza Casserole
- Low-Carb Mexican Zucchini Burrito Boats
- Skillet-Baked Zucchini Lasagna Roll-Ups
A Few More Favorite Dessert Recipes for You-
- How to Make Chocolate Cream Pie the Easy Way
- Berry Good No-Bake Cake
- Golden S’mores Cookie Bars
- Easy Angel Food Cake with Citrus Glaze
- Air Fryer Churro Stix
- Sour Cream Cranberry Bars with Lemon Crunch
- Cheesecake-Stuffed Baked Apples
Printable Directions for Making Zucchini Oatmeal Crunch
Zucchini Oatmeal Crunch
- 8 cups zucchini peeled and cut into bite-size chunks
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon divided use
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 cup old-fashioned (whole) oats not quick oats
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the zucchini chunks into an 8” x 12” baking dish; toss with the cornstarch and sugar.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, flour, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla until blended.
- Spread the oatmeal mixture evenly over the zucchini in the baking dish. Bake, uncovered, on the center rack of the oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and the zucchini filling is hot bubbly. Serve topped with ice cream or whipped topping.
Thanks for visiting! I hope you return soon for more yummy recipes for your family. If you enjoy one of my recipes, I’d really appreciate a rating and a comment below!
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. If you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: ChefAlli@ChefAlli.com.