Macaroni and cheese. Everybody knows of it, everybody loves it! And maybe your family lovingly calls it mac n cheese like we do?? This recipe for Instant Pot Mac and Cheese with Kielbasa Sausage lets you make a pasta, meat, and cheese meal in just 5 minutes of cooking time. Score!!
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese with Kielbasa Sausage Recipe
Howdy! Chef Alli Here. Let’s Get You Cookin’ ….Shall We?? 🙂
If you follow my blog, you already know how much I love using my Instant Pot for getting dinner on the table in a hurry. I’m always on the lookout for new and flavorful Instant Pot recipes, too.
If you’re seeking a low-carb chili, check out Instant Pot Low-Carb Chili-Dog-Chili Bowls – it’s a hearty chili full of ground beef. Instant Pot Low-Carb Tuscan Chicken is another family and friend favorite, too.
3 good reasons to love this recipe –
- It can be on the table from start-to-finish in 30 minutes!
- Who doesn’t adore creamy and luscious mac and cheese?
- This recipe makes a huge batch.
What ingredients do you need to make Instant Pot Mac and Cheese with Kielbasa Sausage?
- Kielbasa sausage, may substitute any cooked sausage, such as Polish sausage, smoked sausage, etc
- Cheddar cheese
- Cream cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Evaporated milk
- Spicy brown mustard
- Granulated onion (onion powder)
How to Make Instant Pot Mac and Cheese with Kielbasa Sausage in Just 3 Easy Steps –
- Brown the Kielbasa sausage coins in a bit of oil using the sauté setting on the Instant Pot; remove and reserve.
- Add the broth and pasta to the Instant Pot; lock the lid in place. Bring the Instant Pot to full pressure, cooking the pasta for 5 minutes. When timer sounds, perform a quick release to remove all the pressure from the Instant Pot.
- Give the cooked pasta a gentle stir, then add the remaining ingredients, stirring to combine. Fold in the cooked and reserved kielbasa sausage bites. Serve at once!
Common Questions Asked About This Recipe –
If the Kielbasa sausage is fully cooked, why does the recipe instruct to brown the Kielbasa coins in oil?
- This is a great question. Quickly browning the sausage coins really adds extra flavor to this dish. It only takes a few minutes and is totally worth it.
I’ve never used evaporated milk to make mac and cheese. What does this ingredient do for the mac and cheese?
- Evaporated milk adds extra creaminess to the mac and cheese. Anytime you’re making a sauce or a gravy, adding evaporated milk really makes the texture creamy and luscious.
If I don’t have evaporated milk on hand, can I substitute regular milk in it’s place?
- Yes, and the mac and cheese will still be delicious.
Can I make this a complete meal by adding vegetables to the mac and cheese?
- Yes. We enjoy adding cooked broccoli or cooked green beans to this mac and cheese. Once the mac and cheese is fully cooked and ready to be served, stir in the vegetables at this point.
Does it matter which shape of pasta I use to make this mac and cheese?
Use any pasta shape you prefer in this recipe. I really like using shell-shaped pasta for mac and cheese since it seems to hold the creamy sauce inside each one.
No Instant Pot? No Problem!
Mac and Cheese with Kielbasa is only a few minutes away when made on the stovetop, as well. I love to brown the kielbasa bites in the pot first to get some more flavor onto the bottom of the pot. Then add your pasta and chicken broth. You’ll cook the noodles as you normally would and then simply stir in the magic ingredients at the end!
More Favorite Pasta Recipes for Your Family to Enjoy –
- 5-MINUTE INSTANT POT LITTLE SMOKIE MAC AND CHEESE
- SKILLET-STYLE CLASSIC MAC AND CHEESE
- CHEESEBURGER-STUFFED JUMBO PASTA SHELLS
- FIESTA GROUND BEEF AND NOODLE SKILLET
- CREAMY CHICKEN AND RICE CASSEROLE WITH BACON
Find my Instant Pot recipes all in one place.
Printable Instant Pot Mac and Cheese with Kielbasa Sausage Recipe
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese with Kielbasa Sausage
- 1 lb. pasta such as elbow macaroni, small shell pasta, or penne pasta
- 1 lb. fully-cooked kielbasa sausage sliced into coins, may substitute any type of fully cooked sausage, such as smoked sausage, polish sausage, etc.
- 5 cups broth or water
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened and cubed
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- 1 Tbs. spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. granulated onion
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Using the sauté setting on the Instant Pot, add a small swish of oil to the pot. When the oil is nicely hot, add the sausage coins to the pot, browning them on each side; remove to a plate and reserve.
- Place the pasta and the broth into the Instant Pot. Lock the Instant Pot lid into place; choose the high pressure setting for 5 minutes, bringing the Instant Pot to full pressure. When the timer sounds, perform a quick release to remove all the pressure from the Instant Pot.
- Carefully unlock and remove the Instant Pot lid; gently stir the pasta, allowing it to rest a bit, absorbing any remaining liquid that remains in the Instant Pot.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese, cream cheese, and Parmesan, along with the milk, evaporated milk, mustard, paprika, and granulated onion. Season to taste with salt and pepper; fold in the reserved kielbasa coins. Mac and cheese will thicken as it cools a bit. Serve at once.
Thanks for visiting! I hope you return soon for more yummy recipes for your family.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. If you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: [email protected].
Let’s Get You Cookin’,
Please Note: We do use referral and affiliate links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends. I may receive a small compensation when you use these links. This really helps me keep my recipe blog moving forward. Thank you so much!