We absolutely love chili…..and cheese…. and tater tots! This Chili-Cheese Tater Tot Bake is the perfect casserole for comfort food cravings, a great make-ahead meal, or as your go-to potluck dish. #chili #chilicheese #tatertots #casserole
Chili-Cheese Tater Tot Bake: The Ultimate Comfort Food Meal for Your Family
Please Note: We do use referral links for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends.
What’s so GREAT about Chili-Cheese Tater Tot Bake?? Well, do let me TELL you!
How to Make An Awesome Chili-Cheese Tater Tot Bake:
- Simmer up your chili in your favorite skillet on the stove while your tater tots get crispy in the oven.
- Next, place your tater tots into your favorite casserole dish and pile them high with the chili from your skillet.
- Pop the Chili-Cheese Tater Tot Bake it into the oven to get all hot and bubbly in every nook and cranny.
- Lastly, top with a good sprinkle of cheese over the top, and let it ooze all over.
- Serve it up with sour cream, scallions and salsa. Easy-Peasy!
Recipe Tips for Making the Best Chili-Cheese Tater Tot Bake:
- What if I don’t want to MAKE the chili? Can I use canned chili instead? That is an affirmative! Go right ahead – sometimes I do that in a pinch and it works fine. You can use chili that comes with or without beans, too…..do whatever makes your fam happy.
- Can I make this casserole ahead and freeze it? Yes! You can bake it from frozen, too. You’ll just need to lower your oven temperature to 325 degrees and add 20-30 minutes to the baking time, depending on your oven. Bake it until it’s hot throughout (160 degrees at the center) and bubbly on top.
- How about turkey hot dogs? Can I use turkey hot dogs instead of beef hot dogs? You can use ANY kind of hotdogs, truly. We just happen to think the beef hot dogs taste the very best. The important thing in this recipe (in ANY recipe, actually) is to brown off the hotdogs before adding them to this casserole. Remember! Brown is not a COLOR, it’s a FLAVOR….always use browning to amp up the flavor!
Printable Chili-Cheese Tater Tot Bake Recipe
Chili-Cheese Tater Tot Bake
- 4 beef hot dogs, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- a bit of canola oil, for browning the sliced hot dogs
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 tsp. granulated onion
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- 8 oz. Hunt's Roasted Garlic Tomato Sauce, or use plain tomato sauce and add 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 lb. tater tots
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- sour cream, scallions, salsa, for garnish, as desired
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat; add the sliced hot dogs, browning them off on all sides; remove the hot dogs from the skillet and reserve.
Add the ground beef to skillet, along with granulated onions and spices; crumble the beef, cooking over medium heat until the beef is no longer pink and is fully cooked throughout; drain fats.
Add Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce and ketchup to the ground beef mixture, stirring to combine. Add the reserved hot dogs to the skillet; simmer for a few minutes over medium heat.
Meanwhile, brown the tater tots on a baking sheet to get them nice and crispy. Place the crispy tater tots into a greased casserole dish; cover the tater tots with the prepared chili mixture.
Bake, uncovered, on center rack of the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until hot throughout. Sprinkle with cheese during the last 10 minutes of baking time. Serve garnished with toppings, as desired.
Need more comfort food recipes in your life? Here you go!:
Instant Pot Jambalaya – Quick and Easy Comfort Food Made in Minutes
Oh Snap! Baked Spaghetti Pie Casserole – One of Our All-Time Family Favorites
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. And, if you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email any time: ChefAlli@ChefAlli.com
Let’s Get You Cookin’,