Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes Supreme – such an easy meal, all in ONE pot!!
We’re all familiar with the classic comfort food of meatloaf and mashed potatoes, and that’s why your family is going to love One-Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes Supreme. All you need is ONE BITE and you’ll be hooked! And if you’ve got any leftovers, be sure to make a grilled meatloaf sandwich for lunch the next day. #MeatLoaf #InstantPot #OnePotMeals
Please note: We do use referral links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends.
Look no further than the Instant Pot for making this quick and easy take on a favorite weeknight dinner. The bonus? No need to heat up the kitchen! You may tend to think of meatloaf as a dish that leans more towards the cold-weather months, but my guys happen to enjoy it year round so I try to oblige them. Also, be sure to try my Tex Mex Penne Pasta with Ground Beef recipe – a big winner, made in just minutes!
Easy Recipe Tips for Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes Supreme
1. This recipe calls for Panko breadcrumbs, which is actually a type of Japanese breadcrumb that is lighter, crispier, and airier than regular breadcrumbs, and also irregular in size. This makes it superior for breading and also for meatloaf since it tends to keep the texture more on the lighter side. (Nobody likes heavy, super dense meatloaf, right??) You’ll find Panko in the grocery aisle right next to the regular breadcrumbs and there are tons of recipes that call for this ingredient, so get some to have on hand.
2. Notice that this recipe calls for Yukon Gold potatoes. I adore Yukon Gold potatoes because you don’t need to peel them! Also, don’t be afraid of the horseradish that’s in the potatoes – this adds a wonderful little bit of zest to the creamy potatoes – so delish. (You’ll be addicted after just a few bites.)
3. Please don’t overwork your ground beef when combining with the other ingredients to make the meatloaf. Be gentle as you combine everything so your meatloaf has a tender texture when it’s cooked.
Printable Recipe for Making Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes Supreme
Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes Supreme
We're all familiar with the classic comfort food of meatloaf and mashed potatoes, and that's why your family is going to love One-Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes Supreme. All you need is ONE BITE and you'll be hooked! And if you've got any leftovers, be sure to make a grilled meatloaf sandwich for lunch the next day.
- 1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. your favorite steak seasoning, such as Montreal Steak Seasoning, etc.
- 1 tsp. each kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 Tbs. dark brown sugar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbs. spicy brown prepared mustard
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Mashed Potatoes Supreme
- 2 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, halved, unpeeled
- 1 cup sour ceam
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1-2 tsp. freshly grated horseradish (or prepared horseradish)
- 1 cup chicken broth
Place all meatloaf ingredients (ground beef - black pepper) into a large mixing bowl and gently combine, using your hands, if desired. (Using two spatulas works well, too.) Place this mixture into the center of a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil; pull the foil up around the meatloaf mixture, crimping the edges firmly closed at the top, yet leaving some space between the top of the meatloaf and the foil.
In a separate small bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients together until smooth.
Place the potatoes into the Instant Pot; add the broth. Place a metal trivet on top of the potatoes, then top the potatoes with the foil-wrapped meatloaf mixture. (Make sure the Instant Pot isn't more than two-thirds full with these ingredients since this could cause your Instant Pot not to pressurize.)
Lock the Instant Pot lid into place, choosing the high pressure setting for 35 minutes, bringing the Instant Pot to full pressure. When the timer sounds, use a 10 minute Natural Release, letting the meatloaf rest. If any remaining pressure remains in the Instant Pot, perform a Quick Release to remove the pressure from the Instant Pot.
Carefully unlock and remove the lid from the Instant Pot. Using an instant-read meat thermometer, check the internal temperature of the meatloaf to be sure it's fully cooked to 160-165 degrees F.
Preheat the broiler. Carefully remove the cooked meatloaf from the Instant Pot to a rimmed baking sheet, pulling the foil back from all sides of the meatloaf. Top the meatloaf with the prepared sauce, then place the meatloaf beneath the broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until sauce bubbles and caramelizes a bit.
Meanwhile, drain the cooked potatoes well. In a small bowl, combine sour cream, eggs, and the horseradish; add to potatoes, mashing well, until the potatoes are smooth and creamy. Season the potatoes to taste with salt and pepper before serving.
To serve, place the desired helpings of mashed potatoes into individual bowls, top with slices of meatloaf, slathering each slice with the warm prepared sauce. If desired, sprinkle cooked mixed vegetables around the meatloaf on top of the potatoes, as well.
Feel free to leave us a comment – we love hearing from our readers and followers! If you don’t hear back from us shortly we may have missed your comment, so be sure to reach out to us by email here: ChefAlli@ChefAlli.com
Let’s Get Cookin’
Recipe shared on Country Cook Weekend Potluck