Please Note: We do use referral links for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends
How to Make Chicken Salad
Chicken. You’ll need four cups of cooked, chopped chicken. I like to chop my chicken for chicken salad so the texture is a bit more chunky, but sometimes if the chicken is super tender, you wind up with shredded chicken, instead. Neither way is wrong – they both work fine. It’s easy to cook up some chicken breasts for this recipe, or if you prefer to make this recipe in an even quicker fashion, purchase a rotisserie chicken at the grocer!
Celery. Chopped celery adds the perfect amount of crunch!
Red Grapes. Halved red grapes add a just the right touch of sweetness. Sometimes I substitute green grapes for the red grapes, but I think the chicken salad is prettier with the red grapes.
Toasted Walnuts. Like the celery, chopped toasted walnuts are a great addition to this salad for some nice crunch.
Plain Greek Yogurt and Mayonnaise. This dressing is totally forgiving. You can use all plain Greek yogurt or all mayonnaise to make this dressing, or a combination of both. If using straight up mayonnaise without the addition of plain Greek yogurt, you may want to add a splash of red wine vinegar or a bit more lemon juice since plain Greek yogurt has a bit more tang to it.
Easy Recipe Tips for Making Chicken Salad with Red Grapes and Walnuts
- How long does chicken salad last in the fridge? I’d say up to 3 days, max. Store it in an airtight container and give it a quick stir each time you get ready to serve some up.
- Is this Chicken Salad with Red Grapes and Walnuts still tasty without the nuts? Sure is. The walnuts give extra crunch and texture, but if there’s a worry about a nut allergy, do leave them out. Or, if you don’t have walnuts on hand, you can substitute pecans or even almonds.
- Can I use cooked chopped chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts? Yesssss! I’ve gotten to where I actually PREFER using chicken thighs in many of my recipes that call for cooked chicken meat. I’m finding the dark meat to be much more flavorful and moist.
Printable Recipe for Chicken Salad with Red Grapes and Walnuts – Print and Go!
Chicken Salad with Red Grapes and Walnuts
- 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt, may substitute sour cream
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. agave nectar or honey
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup seedless red grapes, sliced in half lengthwise
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- ½ cup walnut pieces, toasted
- Green leaf lettuce, washed and patted dry
- mini croissants, slider buns, or cocktail buns
Make a dressing from the yogurt, mayo, lemon zest, lemon juice, and agave nectar; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Stir in chicken, grapes, scallions, celery, and walnuts.
Serve chicken salad wrapped in lettuce leaves, on croissants or slider buns, as desired.
Love Salads? Give these a try!
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. And, if you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: ChefAlli@ChefAlli.com
Let’s Get You Cookin’,
This recipe was happily shared on Southern Bite’s Meal Plan Monday and Country Cook’s Weekend Potluck.