Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
So here it is! My favorite Mexican chicken tortilla soup recipe in the land. Whether you like creamy chicken tortilla soup or cheesy chicken tortilla soup, you’ll find this recipe covers all the bases.
Please Note: We do use referral and affiliate links here for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends.
Howdy! Chef Alli Here. Let’s Get You Cookin’….Shall We? 🙂
I know I’ve said this a jillion times here on my blog, but it’s true: I can eat soup every single day of the year and NEVER tire of it! Recently, because my cousin gave me a 25 lb. bag of potatoes, I’ve been making a lot of potato soup! (Btw, 25 lbs. of potatoes might not seem like alot, but it is…yikes.)
Because of the current potato surplus, our favorite potato soup right now is Instant Pot Sausage, Bacon and Potato Soup. And, I also confess that we are also eating Ham and Potato Cheese Soup and Instant Pot Potato, Bacon, and Corn Chowder on a pretty regular basis, too. 🙂
Since I’m such a soup freak, I like to keep a pot in my fridge for quick meals on the go in the my trusty mug. Tex Mex Corn Chowder is super fast and creamy. And don’t forget to try White Chicken and Rice Chili – it’s an unusual chili that we are in love with.
Are you a hominy fan like I am? Check out Rio Grande Ranch-Style Chili.
Things to Love About Making Chicken Tortilla Soup –
- You can make a big, big batch in nothing flat.
- It’s cheesy and creamy Mexican food par deluxe!
- Leftovers in the fridge reheat like a champ.
What Ingredients Will You Need to Make Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup?
- Basic spices: cumin, chili powder, granulated garlic, salt and pepper
- Chicken breasts or thighs (or use rotisserie chicken meat)
- Olive oil
- Aromatics: onion, garlic, green and red bell peppers
- Diced tomatoes and green chilies
- Chicken broth
- Tomato paste
- Black beans
- Corn tortillas
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Your favorite toppings – avocado, red onion, sour cream
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup in 3 Easy Steps
- Using the sauté setting on the Instant Pot, heat the oil, cooking the onions, cloves, and bell peppers with the spices and the tomato paste for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked shredded chicken along with the diced tomatoes and green chilies, broth, and black beans to the Instant Pot.
- Pressurize the Instant Pot, cooking the soup for 5 minutes. Perform a quick release and serve the soup at once, topped with your favorite toppings.
Easy Recipe Tips for Making Tex Mex Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Is this soup spicy?
- If I don’t have an Instant Pot, can I make this soup on my stove top?
- Which is better – cooked chicken breast meat or cooked chicken thigh meat?
- Can I use the meat from a rotisserie chicken to make this soup?
- Why do the spices go into the pot first, before any other ingredients?
- Is this a healthy soup?
- Can I use my Instant Pot to keep this soup warm?
This version of Chicken Tortilla Soup isn’t spicy as long as you use mild tomatoes and green chilies and mild chili powder. However, if you’d prefer to spice this soup up a bit, you could add some smoky chipotle sauce, diced jalapenos, or use a nice hot chili powder.
You can absolutely make this soup in a pot on your stove. You will make it in the same exact manner, except it will need to simmer for 45-50 minutes on the stove.
You can use any type of cooked chicken in this recipe. I actually prefer to cook up a big batch of boneless, skinless, chicken thighs so I can use the meat throughout the week for speedy meals. I think the dark meat from the thighs is more meaty and moist than meat from cooked chicken breasts.
I love to use the meat from a rotisserie chicken for making this soup – it works great and makes dinner go even faster!
Adding the spices to the heat first does what’s called “blooming”. The heat intensifies the flavors of the spices because it forces them to release their essence.
After you make this soup in your Instant Pot, it will automatically switch to the “keep warm” setting until you’re ready to eat. Or, if you’d like to warm the soup up at a later time, you can use the sauté setting to reheat the soup.
What should I serve with Chicken Tortilla Soup?
Chicken Tortilla Soup is a nice broth-y soup, so we really enjoy it with rolled flour tortillas to dip into the soup as we eat.
Or, sometimes I bake up a batch of our favorite Cheddar and Green Chili Sausage Cornbread. If you like chewy, crusty bread like we do, you’ll want to make Dutch Oven No-Knead Bread and One-Bowl Peasant Bread.
More Soup Recipes to Enjoy –
- Smoky Chicken and Black Bean Chili
- Big-Batch Pasta Fagioli
- Instant Pot Tortellini and Meatball Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup Made with Easy Homemade Noodles
- Hillbilly Chili with Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
Thanks for visiting! I hope you return soon for more yummy recipes for your family.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. If you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: ChefAlli@ChefAlli.com.