Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings is a dish that’s almost too easy! The Instant Pot brings the flavors of slow-cooked homemade chicken and dumplings right to your table in the just minutes. #comfortfood
30-Minute Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
Please Note: We do use referral links for products and services that Chef Alli loves and recommends.
Howdy! Chef Alli Here. Let’s Get You Cookin….
My family loves Chicken and Dumplings made from scratch. I was thrilled to learn how easy it is to make homemade chicken and dumplings right in my Instant Pot – talk about fast!
My boys say these Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings are even better than the ones they order at the Cracker Barrel, which thrills their Mamma to death, let me tell you.
So What Are Dumplings, Anyway?
Great question! Dumpling is a broad classification for a dish that consists of pieces of dough that are dropped into hot broth and simmered until cooked throughout, such as in this recipe.
Chinese dumplings are made from dough that is wrapped around a filling, The dough is typically made from flour or potatoes, and may be filled with meat, fish, cheese, vegetables, fruits or sweets.
What Ingredients Will I Need to Make Homemade Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings From Scratch?
Chicken – You can make chicken and dumplings with boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs, or a mixture of both.
Thyme, Oregano, Poultry Seasoning, Black Pepper, Turmeric – These are the spices you will use for making homemade chicken and noodles.
Yellow Onion, Celery, Carrots – These are the aromatics for this dish, providing the flavor foundation for building the chicken and dumplings on. If you don’t have onions or celery on hand, you can substitute dehydrated onion flakes and dehydrated celery flakes.
Chicken Broth – This is the liquid needed for cooking the chicken and dumplings.
Frozen Corn and Baby Peas – These are the vegetables that are stirred at the end of the cooking time since they will cook very quickly.
Whipping Cream – Adding whipping cream to the soup at the end of the cooking process is what makes the chicken and dumpling broth extra creamy. This ingredient is optional.
Baking Mix and Milk – Baking mix and milk are combined to make the dumpling mixture that is dropped into the broth to cook.
Flour, Baking Powder, Salt, Sugar, Oil – These ingredients are what is combined to make the homemade baking mix.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
Brown the chicken pieces in a bit of butter using the saute setting on the Instant Pot. Add the spices, onion, celery, and carrots, along with the chicken broth, stirring to combine. Bring this mixture to a low boil.
Lock the Instant Pot lid into place, cooking the contents for 7 minutes under high pressure. When the timer sounds, perform a quick release to remove all pressure from the Instant Pot.
Combine the Bisquick mix with just enough milk to make the dumpling dough. Drop the prepared dumpling dough by spoonfuls into the simmering soup. Let the dumplings simmer for 10 minutes, then stir in the corn, peas and cream. Serve at once.
How to Make Your Own Baking Mix (such as Bisquick)
Place all the dry ingredients into the food processor bowl; pulse the food processor to combine the ingredients. With the motor running, pour in the oil; process just until the oil is incorporated into the dry ingredients.
What Tools Are Helpful When I’m Making 30-Minute Chicken and Dumplings from Scratch?
If you want to make homemade chicken and dumplings in just 30 minutes, you definitely need an Instant Pot. I prefer the 6-Quart Instant Pot, but an 8-Quart Instant Pot is an option, as well, if you’re consistently cooking for bigger groups of people.
Making homemade biscuit mix (such as Bisquick) is a whole lot faster and easier if you can use a food processor.
Can I make Chicken and Dumplings using rotisserie chicken?
Yes! This is a great idea. If you opt to use cooked, rotisserie chicken instead of cooking the chicken pieces as this recipe instructs, chop the rotisserie chicken into bite-size pieces and stir it in at the same time that you add the peas and carrots.
Can I leave the dumplings out of this recipe and have this dish just be a chicken soup if I need gluten-free?
I’m so glad you asked. Yes, though you’d need to check the ingredients in the broth to be sure it’s gluten free.
If I don’t want to make dumplings, can I just use the frozen egg noodles I have on hand?
Yes, though you may have to simmer them a bit longer than 10 minutes (as the recipe for dumplings instructs) to get them fully cooked and tender. You’ve also just switched over from chicken and dumplings to chicken and noodles….still quite delicious.
Do chicken and dumplings freeze well?
Yep, if you have leftovers, you can freeze them and reheat later. To be honest though, they will never taste as good as when they are made fresh.
Other Instant Pot Meals to Enjoy –
Here’s the Printable Recipe for Making Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
30-Minute Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken and Noodles
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2" chunks (feel free to sub chicken breasts), seasoned to taste with salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp. each: thyme, oregano, poultry seasoning, black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 2 cups baby carrots, or 3-4 large carrots, sliced or chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1-2 cups frozen corn, as desired
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 3/4 cups baking mix, such as Bisquick, see below for a recipe to make your own
- 1/3 - 2/3 cup milk
Baking Mix (like Bisquick)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
Make the Chicken and Dumplings
- Using the saute setting on the Instant Pot, add the butter to the pot; when the butter is sizzling, add the seasoned chicken pieces, working in batches, until all the chicken is browned, removing each batch to a plate. Return all the browned chicken pieces to the Instant Pot, along with all the spices, stirring to combine well; add the onion, celery, and carrots, along with the chicken broth, stirring to combine; bring this mixture to a low boil.
- Once the soup in the Instant Pot is boiling, lock the Instant Pot lid into place, choosing the high pressure setting for 7 minutes, bringing the Instant Pot to full pressure. When the timer sounds, perform a quick release to remove all the pressure from the Instant Pot; unlock and carefully remove the lid.
- Meanwhile, combine the Bisquick mix with just enough milk to make the dumpling dough. Using the saute setting on the Instant Pot once more, drop the prepared dumpling dough by spoonfuls (about 1 1/2" in size) into the simmering soup; let the dumplings cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the saute setting; stir in the corn, peas and cream. Adjust the seasonings as desired.
Make the "Bisquick" Mix
- In the bowl of a food processor, place all the dry ingredients; pulse the food processor to combine. With the motor running, pour in the oil; process just until the oil is incorporated into dry ingredients. Store in an airtight container. Recipe can be easily doubled or tripled to keep more on hand.
We love hearing from our readers and followers, so leave us a comment if you’d like. And, if you don’t hear back from us shortly, know that we may not have seen your comment. Feel free to reach out to us by email: ChefAlli@ChefAlli.com.